Sweetwater and Loveland

Discussion in 'Freshwater' started by Everydog, May 17, 2020.

1. Everydog

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,533
    I think I understand that our efforts and maybe the politicians and government agencies are putting pressure on the SWA and promoting some changes due to our
    advocacy, but the government connected want to do it with no exposure and therefore are inappropriately non-transparent and appearing almost completely non-committal.

Reasons ,

Incompetency has been going on for a long time at the USDA Dept of Forestry and they let the lake slip away for too long, had no understanding of what was going on, or even what their role should be, or if they even had one, and I called them out for it. They don't want this exposure..

They allowed SWA to do this without due process of law , with favoritism, protections and deflection activities and even lying to me etc. and don't want exposure.

They don't want to punish the SWA or engage in legal actions , and I think they should.

They don't like citizens telling them what to do, or admitting that we are right.

#261 Everydog, Mar 18, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2021
  2. Everydog

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,533
    Sweetwater just told Joel Anderson's office that the lake is opening 7 days a week .

3. Everydog

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,533
    It looks like it is done. Well, The schedule on the website was updated from 3 days a week.
    My board member friend also sent a message that it's open. Not until sunset yet.

Current hours:

The fishing program is open daily.

October through February
    6 am to 5 pm

March through September
    6 am to 6 pm

4. Everydog

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,533
    I am happy about this seven days a week. Other promises were made.

No other fishing program repairs in the agenda for the next board meeting agenda,
    https://www.sweetwater.org/AgendaCenter/ViewFile/Item/1544?fileID=2928

No comments on the promised extended fishing shoreline.
    No comments on opening the lake until sunset.( no promises were made but it's should happen)

5. Everydog

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,533
    In theory the Forest people are re-negotiating the easement. The "fishing program " is probably going to move. I have been told by the board member that a permanent expansion of the shoreline is in the works but have seen no evidence of that.

The concern is that our partners in Government are giving away too much. They think they are above assuring us that they are not. Won't even answer our emails and phone calls.
    Never have shown themselves to know what they are doing , the opposite instead, or that they care much either.

Given the awful track record , by closing my case, Juan Vargas' office gave The Descanso Ranger and his supervisors a free pass on the horrible public service over the years , for falling asleep at the wheel since a long time going back, and especially since I contacted them last year as documented in this thread. They got a free pass to ignore the public going forward too. They can not be trusted.. I suspect Vargas' office did it to protect the SWA from demanding citizens and to help these people avoid accountability. I am not done letting them know this is BS.

#265 Everydog, Mar 19, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2021
  6. Everydog

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,533
    We need to get someone charismatic involved. Not some grumpy lone hillbilly from the sticks.
    Someone who could get a network of people to make submittlals to SWA board meetings and make petitions work and things like that.

Any volunteers?

The fishing program is not on the board agenda next week. That should not be seen as a sign not to participate , just the opposite. Open sunrise to sunset and shoreline that matches that of the fishing easement. No bait and switch.
    Our Government should stop giving the SWA the luxury of inventing any thing they want out there that is less than the easement . Closing the lake on the coronavirus excuse is the tip of the iceberg.

7. Everydog

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,533
    The fishing flyer has been removed from the SWA website.

It's still here

Cleveland National Forest - Fishing

But the Government people who have no worthy updates for the public on the fishing program, will probably take it down soon.
    I already found through a e-mail obtained through freedom of information laws, that the Descanso Ranger said he want's to remove the Kiosk at the Lake that also shows the fishing program. Back door deals are going on and I was right to ask for transparency and got lies and ignored instead. I said back door deals is why Vargas' office closed my case and it's certainly true. They are conducting these affairs like this is Russia and screwing the public the same on a deal that was made only 20 years ago!

8. Everydog

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,533
    Textbook Kleptocracy.

9. carpkiller

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +5,115
    I appreciate your efforts and congratulations on getting some concessions. Want more?
    You need to spell out in one paragraph what is being taken away, and do it without ranting about theft and transparency, lazy bureaucrats, back-room deals and commies. Doesn't matter if it's true, it's still a rant.
    One sentence. What was the deal made 20 years ago? Next sentence: What promise is being broken?
    What right do fishermen have to the shoreline, or to maintaining a certain surface level of the lake? What consideration was given to the water district?
    In simple terms. I00 words, max.
    A TV assignment editor has 30 seconds to decide whether to cover your story. They have to understand the issue after reading your headline and the first sentence of your news advisory. And...they have to know that if they hand the story to the absolute dumbest reporter on their staff (who might be the only one working that day), that $40 haircut is gonna be able to make a 45 second story out of it.
    If you get on one news program, others may expand or advance the story.
    I like fishing at Loveland...I think it's a great resource for recreation...but I've read all of your posts and can't figure out how to make a news story out of it, or why anyone should care.
    Watch TV news. Look at how stories are told, what audio and video elements are used.
    Collect pictures of the lake when it was full, and the current mud bog shoreline and fishing dock that's high and dry right now. Shoot some video. Pictures of the parking lot, kiosk, your smiling fam holding up the fish they caught. A pdf of a document or two that says fishermen have rights. Capture a zoom board meeting where people were talking about this. Do all that, pm me, and I'll write you a news advisory.
    One hillbilly can get on two TV stations and make a policy change.

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  10. Everydog

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,533
    You may be right, I always hoped someone who was better at it than me would do it. I want to quit all the time. Could you do it? Sounds like you could have it done with just a few sentences and a couple of pictures. I'll pay you even. How much do you want?

#270 Everydog, Mar 22, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2021
  11. Everydog

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,533
    Carpkiller,

I think we will get more concessions. Probably a lot. I need help, always have. Some have helped , not many and not consistently, but I see a lot of people hurt and angry about the lake. We all know what it could mean to the next generation. I just asked for someone more charismatic to rally people to speak at meetings , or make a petition or whatever, or like with you , having a clue about how to actually get the media involved effectively.

I bring what I have. If other people bring what they have things will speed up.

I will certainly help you , or anyone else with anything I am capable of to do your /their thing.
    If you can't get to the lake, I will go take pictures for you. I put everything about the easement and why we should have a lake and fishing program that matches the easement in this thread, but I can make that picture concise for you for your media piece.

#271 Everydog, Mar 22, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2021
  12. Everydog

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,533
    The next SWA regular board meeting is Wednesday the 24th at 6:00 PM.

Written comments can be submitted and a nice aide will read them during the public comments or we can stay in the meeting and speak during public comments.

Sweetwater Authority, CA

13. carpkiller

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +5,115
    Getting a handful of people to comment at a water board meeting is "community organizing." It's a thing.
    And you have done a kick-*** job.
    But...I still have no idea why anyone should care that a few entitled fishermen should have a water district pay for their recreation.
    Tell me why, in 100 words, and you've got a shot at getting on TV.
    It's that simple.
    If you get on TV, you use the power of the media as a force multiplier. But that's not going to happen until you organize your thoughts into one....single...page.
    This thread goes back to may of last year and I've read every post...and I do not have enough hours left in my lifetime to read through it again. And an TV assignment editor for darn sure doesn't have time to read it and build a story.
    Put your information on one page, tell me why a water district owes you something...anything...and I'll make you a news release AND help you generate media coverage.
    If you do that, and I don't get a story or opinion piece published somewhere, and maybe even get your story on TV....I'll pay you ten bucks. That's not just my stimmy check talking....That's as good a guarantee as I can give you....

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  14. Everydog

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,533
    I'll be on that. Thank you!

15. Everydog

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,533
    Dock in dirt.JPG

16. Werfless

Werfless The Coach ..RIP my friends
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +56,750
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
  17. Everydog

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,533
    Dock Aerial View.JPG

18. Everydog

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,533

'Word says your post above is 212 words. It looks like about 1/3 of a page in Word. This is rough. 100 Words? Or a page?

19. Everydog

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,533
    Here you go, Carpkiller,

There are two potential starts here. $20 if we don't get the media start cause there are two:emoji_wink:.

US Land Swap for Lake Front Public Recreational Rights Gone Wrong!

As a condition of a late 1990’s transfer of 1500 acres of Cleveland National Forest to the Public Water Utility, Sweetwater Authority, local citizens received an easement deed for fishing, bird watching and hiking at Loveland Reservoir in perpetuity with the USDA Department of Forestry as the Grantee for the public.

The fishing program was designed and promoted by the then new land owner, Sweetwater Authority, to approximate 5 miles of shoreline with public access seven days a week from sunrise to sunset.

The Program has been decimated over the years to the point where it now represents about 20% of the original deal. The SWA Board has designs to make the current low water level, or even much lower, main goals of the lake operation while providing no evidence for supporting the public access rights and program designed in accordance with the agreements they made. One of the nicest outdoor amenities under the Joint authority of the USDA Department of Forestry via the easement is greatly diminished without democratic considerations or due process of law.

A full year’s worth of steady requests for public support and transparency from the Cleveland National Forest and the office of Juan Vargas have been stifled by the agency and the Congressman.

Fishing is Open, But the Dock is in the Mud.

Public rights to enjoy Loveland Reservoir in Alpine have been blocked by the Sweetwater Authority, and government agencies are turning a blind eye to facilitate the land & water grab away from East county residents. While 20 other lakes in San Diego county stayed open through the pandemic, SWA locked the gates at Loveland for 5 months. They reopened minimally while planning to drain the water away from the fishing program. As soon as the dock was in the mud, seven day access resumed. The closure and drainage violate easement protected rights to fishing, hiking, and birdwatching in perpetuity from sunrise to sunset. The federal government negotiated these terms in 1997, but refuses to intervene.

#279 Everydog, Mar 23, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2021
  20. Everydog

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,533
    I called Mr. Anderson's office to ask them to participate in tonight's meeting at the SWA Board.
    As usual I was told to work with the SWA myself. Still I wrote them an email again this morning asking them to participate at the meeting.

These people are supposedly working with planners and developers and other stake holders to make sure we get a nice county park plans, protect the environment and issues like that, while they let something such a wonderful feature as Loveland Reservoir be destroyed, because it is out of their Jurisdiction? That doesn't make any sense on so many levels.