Sweetwater and Loveland

Discussion in 'Freshwater' started by Everydog, May 17, 2020.

1. Everydog

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,921
    Well, I just called the Sweetwater Authority. The lady answering the phone said that the board recently had a meeting and apparently did not open the fishing program. They have another board meeting on June 24th.

2. Everydog

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,921
    There was a board meeting on June 10th , one long time Loveland Angler spoke. I don't feel like the board listened to him and one board member gave him a brief non-committal canned answer.

I intend to follow-up on at the next board meeting 6:00 p.m. on Wednesday, June 24 so I can get my brief non-committal and canned answer.

This form can be used. The more brief , non-committal and canned answers they are compelled to make the better.
    Sweetwater Authority, CA

Also you don't really have to speak , comments can be written on the form and an assistant at the meeting will read it.

3. Everydog

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,921
    It seems like the County might help us interface with the Sweetwater Authority. I called Dianne Jacobs' office and they had already read my email from this morning. They said the have gotten lots of emails about these lakes. It looks like they may try to help get the Sweetwater Authority to be transparent about their plans. I don't know if anyone is following this thread anymore, but Phone Calls to your favorite county supervisor could be very impactful today.

4. Everydog

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,921
    I got the agenda for the Sweetwater Board meeting forJune 24th. There is nothing about fishing on it. I'm pretty sure that fishing is almost never an agenda item for the board and the onus is on the General Manager.

That said, Diane Jacobs forwarded my Email to the General Manager and Chairman of the board of directors and ask them to respond to my concerns. However, she can't make them do anything.

It appears to me that the US Gov, owns an easement for the parking lot , the path to the lake, and reasonable toilets. I am in possession of copies of those easements now. thanks to a Cleveland National Forest Manager.
    Sweetwater somehow took over those responsibilities ,but the easement still appears to be good. LIke other lakes , it is from sun up to sun down.

It looks like Sweet water will provide me all documents covering their obligations to provide public access and fishing. An assistant said they have 10 days to do so because of the California Public Records act. They may have legal outs to delay longer than that, but I can't imagine this is very hard for them to organize for us.

5. Everydog

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,921
    Oh, well.

#25 Everydog, Jun 25, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2020
  6. camobass

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +7,386
    Boat:
    It floats
    I wouldn’t post your intentions and details on here. This isn’t just a place for fishermen but also law enforcement. Not disagreeing with your desire. But you need to be off the radar with these things

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  7. Everydog

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,921
    Thank , I appreciate that.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  8. camobass

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +7,386
    Boat:
    It floats
    No worries, good luck!

9. Everydog

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,921
    Two of us spoke to the board today. Well, my comments were read because I had to take my kid to soccer.
    David did great. The man directing the meeting at least acknowledged us this time. He said he would refer it to staff and recommend it for a topic at the next operations meeting. It would have been better to have more input/speakers.

This is a link just to send a word about fishing in , no account needed, no liabilty to show up at a meeting or to speak.

Sweetwater Authority, CA

10. Everydog

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,921
    From Sweetwater Authority this morning,

Dear Mr. Everydog,

At its June 24th meeting, the Board referred the issue of reopening the fishing programs to the Operations Committee for review and consideration. The Operations Committee consists of three Board Members. This issue will be reviewed by the Operations Committee at its July 15 meeting, at 6:30 P.M. Due to the current COVID-19 pandemic, this meeting will be held via Zoom. Members of the public are welcome to attend and address the Committee on this item. The meeting agenda and participation instructions will be posted to the Authority's website (www.sweetwater.org) on July 10, 2020.

Me again, The Board needs to be pressured to do it's homeworrk before the July 15 deadline and maybe they even need help with content to think about. Please use the portal and tell them why you want fishing and anything you know about why they should provide it. Anything is good. Let them know that they should be able to come to the conclusion and put the general manager on the job to open the lake prior to that meeting. Concern is that they can debate this simple problem of the parking lot being locked for a long time.
    Sweetwater Authority, CA

David , kept referring to the land swap.

I have an easement for fishing, It's a PDF from the USDA Dept of Forestry.

#30 Everydog, Jun 26, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2020
  11. Everydog

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,921
  12. Everydog

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,921
    A lot of documentation arrived today from SWA regarding Loveland. Lots of LOL about the old timers ninja fishing it.
    Never heard of Government cove. Maybe some of the posters here fished it before. It was nice to read about the cooperation of USDF and SWA and read community input. Board meeting after board meeting had the fishing program on the agenda. They even debated having a live bait vendor truck at the lake. Lots of US forestry people and Local government officials were invited to opening day

There were a few old articles from the Union Tribune. One fisherman quoted on opening day for the current fishing program said Loveland was better than Barrett "for quality". I have heard stories that seem to validate that , but like all lakes it seems quality has definitely gone down at Loveland. Who knows what it would be if the whole lake was accessible and if the legal section wasn't drained so severely all the time.

At the end of the day though, I have been provided nothing that contradicts the argument that Sweetwater Authority is obstructing the public easement by keeping it closed.

It was very clear that running a public fishing program is a "cost" to Sweetwater Authority in exchange for the land swap. Sweetwater got a good deal. It's a cost they are rejecting at this time.

#32 Everydog, Jul 7, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2020
  13. Everydog

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,921
    More back and forth with Sweetwater Authority. I wrote to them two days ago that I considered them to be obstructing the publics right to fish and that I was going to go fishing at Loveland reservoir and asked them to tell the rangers not to interfere with my enjoyment of the easement from sunrise to sunset. I am going to post some of that here. I will post the link to comment at tonight's board meeting.
    Here it is. You can just check that you don't want to speak if you prefer and it will be read by an assistant to the board.
    Sweetwater Authority, CA

Anything said to the board helps. One thing I know about life is it TRULY takes all kinds, If you don't want to speak,. don't think your expression is wrong or not good enough! Don't worry about typos or grammar! They have a nice person who will read it nicely regardless of those things. I mess up a lot, have an borderline uncouth style , and don't edit well. It's the point made that matters. It's making them take time out of the board meetings to listen to us that matters.

#33 Everydog, Jul 8, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2020
  14. Everydog

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,921
    I'll just summarize the comments. The assistant to the board and general manager asked me to be patient. The general manager complained a little about the cost of operating their lakes and told me there are a lot of agencies to work through. She said I will face consequences if I go to the lake.

I told them that the costs which they agreed to when they got the land and the fishing program was started has been absorbed by the fishing public for 3 months now and that they needed to share the burden if that's what it takes to open Loveland.
    I asked them what agencies are allowing all the other twenty lakes in San Diego County to open , all of which are water utilities of some sort or another , but not those run by the Sweet water authority. I asked her if the Sweetwater Authority system has specific safety issues they should warn their water customers about? I asked her to give me the information to all agencies that are keeping them from opening Loveland and Sweetwater so that I can contact them. Sweetwater authority needs to quit the dis-infomation tactic of blaming fishing for Coronavirus risks to their water customers because that's a false premise. What science are they using? I am going to repeat all that and more at the board meeting.

#34 Everydog, Jul 8, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2020
  15. camobass

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +7,386
    Boat:
    It floats
    wow

16. Everydog

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,921
    The logical questions now are:

Is the Sweetwater Authority failing on reopening compliance deliberately?
    Is the Sweetwater Authority even solvent?

How much if any Stimulus money have they taken?

17. Everydog

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,921
    Who-hoo, Four people spoke or had comments read. Thank you gentlemen. It was awesome. After public comments one of the directors said , "why don't we open it?" and he was hushed for being out of order. The commitment to have a Operations committee meeting is still for the 15th, Which is an unreasonable delay.

This link can be used to encourage the SWA to open the lake before the 15th.
    There is no valid reason they could not do it by this Friday.
    The message does not go to a board meeting but they answer them all.

www.sweetwater.org/FormCenter/Contact-Us-4/Send-Us-a-Message-43

#37 Everydog, Jul 8, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2020
  18. Everydog

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,921
    When the lake opening dates were announced on the "opening lakes" thread someone said things would probably stay quiet about Loveland reservoir and I promised that person it would not be quiet at all.

Following up on that promise is what this thread has been about.

This morning I sent what I hope will be one of my last Emails to the Sweetwater Authority on this topic.
    It's addressed to the Operations manager who I have had the pleasure of communicating with in the last couple of weeks.

Dear Ms Berge,

I am encouraged about the prospects for lake re-openings after yesterdays board meeting. However, I am sad about what it took to get here and how the Sweetwater Authority continues to publically maintain the false premise for keeping the fishing programs closed.

Looking over my more than 2 months of input to the Sweetwater Authority, the responses I received and board meeting comments from various individuals on the topic of opening the fishing program at Loveland Reservoir, I feel that it has been confirmed that the Sweetwater Authority has been deliberately failing at reopening the lakes for public access.

I do not know much about the Sweetwater reservoir, but I am sure that people in our communities miss it greatly.

I know something about Loveland Reservoir and the onsite operating staff. These are good people and they can open and operate that lake in one day.

I would like to request mediation with the Sweetwater Authority operations department if transparency about an immediate opening date can’t be presently provided. Re-opening should happen by this weekend as an act of amends to the public for lack of transparency, the delays, and outright rejection of our concerns by the Sweetwater Authority over these last months.

Sincerely,

Everydog

I am not holding out hope for an opening this weekend though I sincerely think it should happen and that it is easy for Sweetwater to do.

Mediation could be a good step if they don't open the lakes soon.

#38 Everydog, Jul 9, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2020
  19. Everydog

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,921
    A call for public assistance mediating with the Sweetwater Authority,

Dear Ms Jacob,

I am writing you again regarding my concerns for public access at the Loveland reservoir.
    It is my opinion that The Sweetwater Authority is acting in bad faith by failing deliberately at reopening the fishing program and by locking the parking lots 24/7, and by threatening trespassing and poaching charges against citizens who would use the easement that exists in favor of the public fishing from sunrise to sunset.
    That easement is attached.

I have been keeping you in the loop with my input and the Sweetwater Authorities responses. However I would like to point out, in particular, a most recent email from Tish Berge. In the email she states that compliance and revenue streams are both issues at hand.

On 07/04/2020 I received this email from the Sweetwater Authority :

Good morning Mr. Everydog:

The following message is being sent on behalf of General Manager Berge:

"Dear Mr. Everydog,

I understand your desire to enjoy the recreational amenities provided at Sweetwater Authority reservoirs and your frustration regarding the temporary closure of these programs. As we have previously stated, the Authority staff is carefully analyzing the requirements under which we operate as a drinking water agency to determine when and how the fishing programs may reopen.

Sweetwater Authority must continue to comply with all applicable regulations and requirements of several agencies, including the California Department of Public Health, CalOSHA, the County of San Diego Health and Human Services Division, the State Water Resources Control Board Division of Drinking Water and others. Please note that no fishing is allowed while the fishing program is closed. Further, entering onto Authority property while the fishing program is closed is considered a trespass and Authority employees will be required to take appropriate action.

Please note that as a drinking water agency, there is no revenue stream dedicated to support the fishing programs, and our resources are currently focused to our essential function of providing safe and reliable drinking water to our nearly 200,000 ratepayers.

I appreciate your patience as we navigate these unprecedented circumstances.

Sincerely,
    Tish Berge
    General Manager"

Those two objections are not acceptable as a basis for keeping Loveland Reservoir Closed. The current Sweetwater Authority policy is to obstruct the easement and harass fishermen who do not accept that. Approximately 20 lakes in San Diego county are now open. The ealiest opening occurred more than two months ago.
    If they can get compliance starting in the first days of May 2020 it seems that a willing Sweetwater Authority management could have also.

The Loveland reservoir has been closed almost 3 months now. The Sweetwater Authority no doubt has saved money from non-operation of the fishing program that they agreed to operate in 1997 in exchange for land surrounding the lake. Where is their concern for compliance with those agreements? In return the public has born the burden of cancelled recreation opportunities of hiking and fishing for nothing in return. The Sweetwater Authority, all the while, has avoided transparency and maintains a false premise for the lake closures on their website, and on signs at the Loveland reservoir entrance, that it is necessary to maintain the fishing programs closed to fulfill the mission of supplying safe water during the covid-19 situation. Again, that doesn't apply to the other 20 lakes that have been opened going back two months.

Perhaps we have made some progress. The Sweetwater Authority has arranged for a board subcommittee to advise at a July 15 operations meeting.However , even their handling it that way looks like a furtherance of efforts to stall the reopening. It appears that the onus of opening the lake is on the general manager Tish Berge. The comments she made at the last regular Sweetwater Authority board meeting were not reassuring that she means to open the lake.

It occurs to me that mediation could be necessary at this time. Could you solicit assistance with the process and funding of mediation with the Sweetwater Authority? I can do it myself, but feel it is more appropriate to share the cost with the public since many people in our communities would benefit from getting this program on the right track.

Thank you for your support on this issue.

Sincerely,

Everydog

20. Everydog

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,921
    Here is the link to submit comments for the Sweetwater Authority Operations board meeting this Wednesday.

This is the first time reopening Sweetwater and Loveland Reservoirs are actually on any official Sweetwater Agenda.

Sweetwater Authority, CA

If you would like a comment read at the start of the meeting, use that link and enter 07/15/2020 6:30 PM.
    This is the most certain way to get your thoughts on the matter into the meeting. It's very easy, They do a nice job reading comments at these meetings.

Commenting as the agenda item is discussed is a little more complicated. If you select that you might actually have to be logged into the zoom meeting.
    Agenda Center Hit download HTML and you will get a link to the Zoom Meeting.

Sometimes the public is given the chance to raise a hand during the zoom meeting. I'll link to the zoom meeting.
    The most certain way to get some input is to use the first link and type in your comments.

Thank you.