Sweetwater and Loveland

Discussion in 'Freshwater' started by Everydog, May 17, 2020.

1. Werfless

Werfless The Coach ..RIP my friends
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +60,348
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
    Strange, how all of a sudden... But they can take your rights, no prob

2. Everydog

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,056
    Only thing the government does at Loveland Is Law enforcement! DFW and Sheriff.
    How demoncratic.

#442 Everydog, Aug 17, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2021
  3. Everydog

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,056
    Hay que tomar la vida un poco de broma , si no , pinche vida vale madre!

4. Everydog

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,056
    Got a huge batch of documents today, more on the way.

So , The SWA License says they can't sell water from the Sweetwater river watershed out of the south bay irrigation district. Their consultant suggests they use use some manipulations to sell our recreational pool as if it were water from a desalination plant. Lawyers could find, or buy cover for this trick?

upload_2021-8-19_22-21-53.png

5. Werfless

Werfless The Coach ..RIP my friends
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +60,348
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
    When in doubt rape and pillage

6. Everydog

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,056
    IMG_0383.JPG All set to go for a good meeting at Anderson’s office.

#446 Everydog, Aug 20, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2021
  7. Everydog

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,056
    I am very pleased with the meeting.

Got some ideas, don't want to make them public yet. Some of them are things I have already tried extensively.
    Did not get commitments that I wanted . Some efforts will be made on the publics behalf, some are maybes, but the expectations on many of them are that the answers will be the same as what I get.

It was interesting to be in that office. It was a humane experience . That's not to say that the "system" is humane, .If it were we would have come out with a huge win.

It's too easy to see these people as caricatures, city council , supervisors and the rest, and many if not most of them kind of earn that. I had the opposite perception when I left , or better said, it was much diminished. Certainly, the person I was working with is as capable, and genuine as anybody could be in this kind of a political position.

Staying the course.

#447 Everydog, Aug 20, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2021
  8. Everydog

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,056
    I only believe me until further notice. Somebody can do something besides give immunity to the SWA for their public benefit damage at Loveland. Probably a dozen of the individuals and organizations and politicians I have brought the topic to can act on behalf of the public if they wanted to.

This language for the state water board engineer is in contrast with what the regulator there is telling me. that they have no business entering into monitoring public trust engagement obligations that the SWA has.

upload_2021-8-27_11-49-8.png

9. Everydog

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,056
    The public trust doctrine requires the sovereign, or state, to hold in trust designated resources for the benefit of the people. Traditionally, the public trust applied to commerce and fishing in navigable waters, but its uses were expanded in California in 1971 to include fish, wildlife, habitat and recreation.

10. Everydog

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,056
    Talk about dedication. Went to Full Board of Supervisors to speak for two minutes today. Luckily the hall was tame and I was the second one up. Public speaking isn't normal , and you wonder if anyone pays attention. I think some did, Some are motivated to listen when the Sweetwater Authority is mentioned, but it makes you wonder where their loyalties will be. Have to give them a chance. Maybe they don't like exposure from bullies and crooks operating against public rights and welfare in the community. The vast Majority of the Sweewater River Watershed is in district two. Anderson's. What surprised that it goes all the way to the Sweetwater Reservoir and includes some Sweetwater Authority facilities down there. If any one was in a position to look push for a fair balance of SWA business and obligations they have at our lake and on other topics in the region, it would be Anderson.

I will tell you Nathan Fletcher is slick, Almost like a machine, very fast talker for what I saw of him. I know he is not a favorite around here. Very hard to imagine anyone in the room is interested in outdoor activities , let alone fishing. City council is probably worse. Actual Nathan is very fit, might surf or bike or something.
    This lack of connection to the sporting life is becoming a big problem when our leaders our urbanites , and a big part of their constituents interests are unimaginable to them .

Thinking about the activity military for instance, you have a much higher percentage of the population in that group and also veterans who come from hunting and fishing and hiking backgrounds , and still love it even though we now live in the megalopolis. How are these city slickers going to care about what they do for fun?

11. fisheromen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +27,985
    Boat:
    1986 Glastron
    Probably not the best day to bring anything with the Covid misinformation thing going.

12. Everydog

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,056
    If I understand you , I can see your point .
    It wasn’t a bad day to do it either
    Because it is the bi-monthly land use meeting and this issue is under that umbrella . I feel like We got some advantages today that we would not have gotten on another day .

13. Everydog

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,056
    Loveland is closed. The reason, or excuse, I am not sure which, is likely that since the forests are closed the lake should be also. I doubt this is attempt at permanent closure yet , but can't be sure.

Someone started a rumor that I said something big is going to happen at Loveland . I think that's wrong. I can't see anything positive happening soon ,and the SWA with our partners in government are in control of the big negatives.
    The Forest service won't be transparent about why they want to get clear of Loveland , but they are apparently marching towards that goal. The still tell me to work with the SWA!

County of San Diego may have an interest in being partners at some point in the future , but I don't see that as anything but a palliative if in the meantime SWA gets to shortchange the public and drain the lake, or even keep it from returning to recreational pool.

14. Everydog

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,056
    Whoo Hoo, It appears my wish to have someone capable and willing to follow through with advocates on the Loveland/ Sweetwater Authority issues to the end has been granted. That's how it looks for now.

A couple of important conservation groups are now ramping up. I leave publicizing what they do to them. But we are not alone.

I filed a Grand Jury Complaint. If that takes off I obviously won't be able to talk about it( hard to believe I can be good at shutting my mouth about anything on this topic, but I can. Que Sera . Sera.

15. Everydog

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,056
    We built a FB page Called, Loveland Public Access and Conservation. I believe it can be found via
    a search from your FB page , @LovelandSupporters . I am sure I will find the 1000's of lurkers on this thread hitting up the site!

16. Everydog

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,056
    Followed up my live pitch at the 9-1-21 BOS meeting down with emails to all supervisors.

Dear Supervisor (name goes here)

The following advances my appeal to the Board at the 09/01/21 Board of Supervisors land use meeting.

It is important to call the Board’s attention to the loss of peaceful public enjoyment and environmental destruction at Loveland Reservoir in Alpine. Equal concern is due for this section of the Sweetwater river riparian habitat and the animals that depend on it. The indiscriminate actions and plans of the Sweetwater Authority(SWA) are the source of these problems.

Time is of the essence, Despite a year and a half of advocacy by myself and others the lake is still trashed and due access is denied. The Sweetwater Authority(SWA) board is considering further severe destruction of Loveland Reservoir by drawing the lake down as low as 1150 acre feet. This would leave only a small pond near the dam. This would be the end of the fishing program. The environmental harm would be extreme. It could happen as early as winter of 2022.

I am asking the board of Supervisors to intervene for the purpose of establishing an MOU with SWA on the terms of the public access and fishing program negotiated in 1997 (Sunrise to sunset access and a minimum recreational pool that allows for 3.6 to 5 miles of shoreline in the easement at the east end of the lake).

The SWA has played Bait and Switch on these public benefits for decades. In the last few years, the board has short changed citizens by closing the lake excessively during Covid as compared to all of the other 20 lakes in the county and permanently shortening daily access hours which dramatically lowers the quality of the program in the hotter summer months. The removal of most of the public’s recreational pool has reduced available shoreline to only one mile , half of which is rugged and unusable to most people. The fishing dock, which many individuals and families depend on, is in the dirt several hundred feet from the water.

The agreements that created the fishing program also uphold environmental commitments made to Conservation groups such as the Audubon society, Duncan McFetridge’s Cleveland National Forest Foundation, and citizen watchdogs at the time. This is all documented.

An MOU is needed to reestablish the terms for operation of the lake according to a reasonable interpretation of the origin documents, the 1997 easement, and original fishing program flyers and maps. Those terms include public access from sunrise to sunset and a water level which provides 3.6 to 5 miles of shoreline in the east end of the lake. Meeting these conditions substantially complies with wildlife conservation and fulfills SWA obligations for the fishing program. We need you to make the SWA accountable for the agreements they made.

Deference to SWA Clout is enabling this injustice and keeping the public under the threat of further loss. This includes people from across the county.

Due to the transfer of federal land and water monopoly arrangement for the SWA , and how primitive the program is , it has remained free . This is very important as it allows for people of lesser means to have access to quality recreational program. San Diego County’s Active duty and veterans of the military come from many different environments, but notably, many come from places where and outdoor enthusiast’s life becomes the preferred form of recreation. There are many others who need this lake operating according to the Sweetwater Authority’s obligations to bring much needed sense of fulfillment into their lives.

Sufficient documents are available to support the defense of public access from sunrise to sunset and to protect the lake amenity and continue appropriate conservation at Loveland. I have many more. The Sweetwater Authority has nothing but recently invented disingenuous talking points which are unfortunately given more weight by public officials than contracts negotiated in good faith just 25 years ago. Refusal by government partners to protect the public gives the appearance of carrying water for the SWA against already paid for public good. This , if things do not change, constitutes a transfer of wealth without due process of law or respect for democracy.
    Maggie Sleeper, Deputy Chief of Staff for Supervisor Anderson , is well appraised of the circumstances and has some familiarity with the strong case these documents support. I would like to see Mr. Anderson's office supported in reclaiming the public treasure the county enjoys when our partners in government respect and elevate citizens as well as they do organizations like the Sweetwater Authority.
    Please stand up for taxpayers and restore the proper fishing program , honor environmental and wildlife conservation needs, maintain the reservoir as a viable fire fighting tool, and keep a reasonable aesthetic for people who live around the lake.

Respectfully ,
    Russell Walsh

Loveland Public Access and Conservation Group
    619-922-6235
    4639 Montiel Truck Trail
    Jamul CA, 91935

17. Everydog

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,056
    Again the County , at least Supervisor Anderson says that he wants to negotiate with the SWA on some kind of Joint management going forward and that this is what they have to offer.

Hi Russell,

I hope you and your family are well. I wanted to update you that I have provided your comments to Supervisor Anderson and briefed him on your efforts regarding Loveland. He suggested all the same avenues I provided in our meetings: seeking assistance from constitutional law or public interest attorneys, pursuing the grand jury, working through your congressman’s office and directly with SWA.

My research has not yielded any County nexus for us to pursue, other than our stakeholder effort with all the reservoir owners that we hope to kick off before the end of this year. I’ll certainly make sure to keep you in the loop on that and you’ll be welcome to participate.

In the meantime, you’re welcome to continue emailing me, I am keeping all of the Loveland information in a file and if at any point you need assistance with a specific County department our office will be happy to assist you.

As we discussed I invite your sons to take a look at our internship program if that’s something they are interested in, we’d be happy to have them: https://www.supervisorjoelanderson.com/content/d2/us/en/internship/apply-now.html I think I mentioned to you that I started my career as an intern for then-Assemblymember Anderson when I was a senior at UCSD.

Best regards,

Maggie Sleeper

Deputy Chief of Staff

County Supervisor Joel Anderson

(619) 764-1883

Maggie.Sleeper@sdcounty.ca.gov

18. Everydog

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,056
    My Reply. Hey , maybe I am a damn fool, but transparency doesn't bother me.

Maggie Sleeper

Deputy Chief of Staff

County Supervisor Joel Anderson

(619) 764-1883

Maggie.Sleeper@sdcounty.ca.gov

Hello Maggie,

Thank you for this follow-up. We are doing well. I hope you and yours are too.
    I will cc this letter to Congressman Vargas' Office and Like 100 others , it will be ignored. I have requested meetings with his land use staff multiple times, and while I get a confirmation of my request, that is the end of it.

Your feedback brings a few questions. Why could Mr. Anderson's staff not put the energy being saved to explore avenues with the SWA towards Congressman Issa's, and /or Congressman Vargas' office? Elevating the SWA to equal partners with the our representatives on the BOS in the face of their scamming of the public is wrong. Why would Mr. Anderson expect these congressmen not to be responsive to these concerns? We have the full spectrum of government representatives shrugging their shoulders and/ or carrying water for the SWA while having this "hands off" policy throughout the system. . Please try to imagine how it feels for me to be told to continue to work with my Congressman and the SWA with this being the situation . How does it look to elevate the SWA to this privileged position of immunity?

Though I really hope that representatives will hold the SWA accountable, I appreciate that I will be informed and perhaps participate in business and dialogue with Loveland Reservoir stakeholders. This is guaranteed to be a poor substitute for proper representation now, and it is simply not the right path to take. Is there any correspondence with the SWA, or other government agencies with respect to managing Loveland Reservoir going forward.Are you talking with Federal agencies or representatives? The Forest Service. In the name of transparency which Mr. Anderson is committing to advance in county business, please provide me with any and all such correspondence to date.

Regards,
    Russell Walsh
    Loveland Public Access and Conservation Group
    619-922-6235
    4639 Montiel Truck Trail
    Jamul CA, 91935

19. Everydog

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,056
    Got a huge batch of records today. The current SWA staff admits that the 3.6 to 5 miles of shoreline that Ranger Dean Promises the public to sign off on the land swap would have come from Sweetwater. They "unfortunately' Can't find it.

upload_2021-9-13_18-3-50.png

20. Everydog

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,056
    SWA Public Affairs officers and Lake manager, and maybe others, talking **** about me the night of the fire, Where was I ? Keeping the fire from burning my house down. Took 150K in losses to my property and couldn't move my family back in for 6 weeks.
    upload_2021-9-13_21-32-52.png
    upload_2021-9-13_21-33-42.png
    My Comment : Can you guess where Russell Lives?
    upload_2021-9-13_21-35-53.png

upload_2021-9-13_21-31-35.png

#460 Everydog, Sep 13, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2021