Sweetwater and Loveland

Discussion in 'Freshwater' started by Everydog, May 17, 2020.

1. Everydog

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,056
    New Action on Sweetwater Authority Dam Safety issues. As seen above, I reported that nothing had been done since the state sounded the Alarm in 2016. The SWA now has to submit a plan by November. Based on a phone conversation I had with Dam Safety Staff just this July 1st. , think there is a good chance that my email and that phone call had a positive safety impact for the South Bay. Maybe I had noting to do with it, but good for this community either way.

Tonight's board agenda item.
    upload_2021-10-13_21-13-59.png

This is how I got the idea to email and call the California Dam safety people.

https://www.10news.com/news/state-official-says-bonita-dam-is-unsafe-nearby-residents-in-jeopardy

2. Everydog

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,056
    Just got a chance to speak at the fish and game commission meeting . Didn't do to0 well I know, Rushing to get ideas in the 3 minutes. Asked them to look at emails I have sent.

People were there to ask for help with the carb requirements for the sportfishing fleet that we are talking about on other threads. I am not sure there are any sportspeople on that commission who will relate to anglers , but it's worth a try.

#482 Everydog, Oct 14, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2021
  3. Everydog

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,056
    Build toward critical mass with human capital on our side. it has been the best week yet. I am really excited today. It's snowballing.

I am pretty sure there is no way SWA will drain that lake this coming year, After sand mining, that is what influential people care about the most. Sunrise to sunset operation is not really on their radar, nor is fishing that may have to be more of a blue collar thing, AKA most of the anglers. Really we need the Forest Service, Issa and Vargas, and County Supervisors to quit playing lackey and defender of the non-performing SWA.

Other issue though is that even though the lake is very drought resistant it isn't going to fill back up without rain. The data says it could easily take four years for a good rain year to come along. They need to move the fishing program boundary west anyway. It's too far east for them to both take water for their customers and meet the fishing obligations on anything like a regular basis , even in wet years.

Crunching 25 years of water level numbers and making graphs. The bait and switch is very long running to the point it's not hard to call the whole thing a hoax.

#483 Everydog, Oct 15, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2021
  4. Everydog

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,056
    Here are the numbers subject to fact checking. I think it's pretty good. Rounding differently than I did might bring miniscule variations.

We were told that even adjusted for drought the average lake level would be 1333 above Mean Sea Level. The only other metric negotiated was 3.6-5 miles of fishable shoreline.

Actual average for the entire 25 years since the ink dried on the land swap documents.
    1316' above mean sea level -17 feet from legit fishing program/conservation pool average.

Last 10 years, 1313' above mean sea level -20 feet from legit fishing program/conservation pool average.

First 10 years 1315' above mean sea level -18 feet from legit fishing program/conservation pool average.

9 out of the 25 years the lake as been as bad , or nearly as bad as it is now.

The lake has been closing too early for approximately 8.5 years.

Now I am going to make a graph and find the percentage of time below and above the expected average of 1333'. It's mostly below, hardly nothing at , or above.

I also plan to make a calculation of average available shoreline. It rarely met the minimum standard of 3.6 miles. even more rarely and also very briefly ever approximated five miles of shoreline. I'm guessing it averaged less than two . In 10-12 years , like now, it was just around or a little more than 1 mile of shoreline.

All this justifies the post above^ Especially moving the buoy line west.

#484 Everydog, Oct 15, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  5. Everydog

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,056
    It looks like They made a deal they never intended to keep just to stick us as far back into the smallest piece of lake that they could get away with. There is no way The Sweetwater Authority would be satisfied with the income garnered with 3.6- 5 miles of shoreline or an average recreational pool at 1333,

The Department of Forestry was warned that the SWA could not be trusted by Jim Brown , Patricia Wolfe of the DFG and public watchdogs. These two and members of the public warned the Descanso ranger that of the imminent low water problems. The Descanso Ranger claimed that these never would be adhered to metrics would make for a fine lake .

There is a non-stop pattern in this land swap fishing program, with these public partner Descanso rangers screwing the public.

Maybe this pattern is why they were asleep at the wheel for decades and didn’t want to wake up last year ? This is why they drive me off against all semblance of public service now ?

*What happened is they built a great fishing program but it had terrible water storage and transfer potential so a couple of years after the program started they said screw the fishing program. 2005,2006,2007 it was on track at 1348',1327',1324' then was back to failing badly with low average levels compared to the Descanso Rangers promises.

#485 Everydog, Oct 15, 2021
  6. Everydog

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,056
    So now we see that the fishing program was a con , or a huge blunder from day one! The agreed upon accessible shoreline/ water level metrics , or whatever they are called , were good for the anglers, but thrown out the window from the beginning because they didn't work for the SWA.

The fishing program on the east end of the lake , as sold to the public, and water storage transfer policies suitable to the SWA were always mutually exclusive.

With all the warnings to the Forest Service , including from the DFG and Jim Brown, I can't imagine no one noticed that recreational pool was was more than a little off the promised guidelines in the early 2000's , a few short years after the program was created. I can also see that hindsight and the water records contribute to better vison here .

The warnings given have proven to be 100% on point and anyone should have seen it.

There were a few good rain years after the 1997 agreements that covered the failure. 200,2001,2002,2003,2004 were almost as bad as it is now. Now I am curious to see if there was any backlash in 2005, or so when the pattern of excessively low water compared to 3.6-5 miles or 1333' average level was emerging. Could be pretty easily talked off, I guess, but it can't be anymore.

#486 Everydog, Oct 16, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2021
  7. Everydog

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,056
    The only time the program was honored is during big rain years when Sweetwater Reservoir was too full to take more water, or we got lucky and there were decent rains after a water transfer occurred. I believe this is a breach of contract.

3.6+5
    -------- = 4.3 average fishing shoreline commitment.

Actual average over 25 years = 2 miles or less.
    Current Shoreline due to nothing but greed < 1 mile and so shallow as not to represent a year round fishery.

How can this not be a breach of contract? Certainly is a violation of public trust.

8. William Ritchie

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +7,411
    Name:
    WjRitchie
    Everydog . Russ I cant believe the time and effort you have put into this subject . I don't' fish the local lakes but , every one here should be giving you accolades . Thank you , for your passion and genuine desire to keep the politicians inline and our right to fish alive , it is appreciated . WR

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  9. Everydog

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,056
    Cut , pasted, framed and hung on the wall.

Thank you, William, Also look at Werf, right here with me and doing some "coaching" in PM too. I really appreciate this.

10. Werfless

Werfless The Coach ..RIP my friends
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +60,348
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
    The least I can do

11. otay michael

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +7,183
    Went by Sweetwater lake as our Bonita Vista High 50th reunion was held nearby two weekends ago (had been years since I'd visited -poached in the 70's, catfishing at night) and couldn't believe what I saw. A big portion of the lake closed, and a sign (if memory serves me well) saying the lake closed at 4! 4??? There was a lake worker there, kicking folks out (ranger?), as it was 4. Two families fishing w/ bobbers. Sounds as bad as DVL. Thanks Everydog for your hard work here over the past year and a half. KEEP UP THE GREAT WORK. If you need help with requests to improve the situation to board meetings, I'd be glad to send comments, or show up sometimes too.

12. Everydog

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,056
    Thank you Michael.

Please, anyone that would like to spend a little time on this. Anything helps,

I want to go in person to SWA board meetings as soon as they open them up, So far it is all zoom.

One good thing to do now is to write emails.
    I am going to board meetings often, so emails from other people can call attention and support me there. Certainly more people going and speaking at the meetings is good. The whole thing is a PR effort, the more the better. Maybe we will get TV coverage down their one day. Sometimes you have to follow up the email with a call the next day to tell them your email is important please answer it . I always do this . It is super effective, Other than that they won't read it, even if you get an auto-reply. Mainly call you own Sup. but emailing them all is good , this is a regional injustice that is happening.

Joel.Anderson@sdcounty.ca.gov

Nathan.Fletcher@sdcounty.ca.gov

nora.vargas@sdcounty.ca.gov

terra.lawsonremer@sdcounty.ca.gov

Jim.desmond@sdcounty.ca.gov

It's easy to:
    Submit comments to the SWA Board to be read at Regular Board Meetings.

They have to read them by the board secretary, no attendance require even for zoom, It goes on a sound recorded file for proof that they saw it. These are public record that are easily accessible. I use this all the time. It is the effective .

Sweetwater Authority, CA

Calendar Here:
    Sweetwater Authority, CA

Super Easy to use the Portal to tell the Forest Service anything you want to about the situation. PM me for Ideas if you would like. .

Contact Us | US Forest Service

#492 Everydog, Oct 17, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2021
  13. Everydog

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,056
    The SWA new PR push is us "Local water," This is because average salary is near 180K. Their customers use very little water, The irony is they have to steal our lake because demand is down and they think Newsom is going to make them drive it down more. The profit spread on SD County water Authority water is not enough to keep them afloat due to mismanagement.

The board votes for things like health care for their own families.
    Sweetwater Authority votes to provide health benefits | The Star News
    They have to spend a lot of money to fix the Sweetwater Dam and that will really pressure their reserves. They are worried big time as far as I can tell.

This really means steal the rest of Loveland. Very selfish and short-sighted one time water grab, well they took a good part of it last year and many years before. . With the low water levels, they have almost 20,000 acre feet of storage capacity at Loveland and they are only allowed by the State of to capture 14,600 feet and transfer 14,300.
    They do joke about getting anything the want with a couple of phone calls to Sacramento.

There are 7,500 acre feet in the reservoir now. At raw untreated water prices, it's worth about 8 million, but they would lose 1/3 to 1/2 of it transferring it due to seepage into the 17 mile river channel it has to travel through to get from Loveland to Sweetwater Reservoir.

#493 Everydog, Oct 17, 2021
  14. Everydog

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,056
    SWA refusal to talk about moving the buoy line after they promised to do that to replace missing shoreline, means one of two things I believe. They intend to take more water, or they don't want the precedent of anglers further west and might let the lake fill up a little more if rain allows. Many Loveland users playing this guessing game. It is cowardly uncivilized that they won't answer the question after the destruction of this year and it being very public that they are considering further destruction with continued drawdown. . It really sucks the Anderson won't even ask them.

#494 Everydog, Oct 17, 2021
  15. otay michael

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +7,183
    any type of 'form letter' you could type that we could then change it a bit, it's all pretty complex and that would help. I don't mind then calling these folks too, that might get them more involved on getting them to take action to rectify these wrongs. Thanx

16. Everydog

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,056
    That's a great idea , Michael. Let me work on that with some of the other advocates . Once we get it together, no more than a day or two, we can have a link to it with the addresses organized for email and maybe even snail mail in some cases.

The other wish list item is for a writer, and especially one who the UT would publish off their name. I am trying to learn to write, but I am really starting from scratch. Just want to put that out there , not an expectation on you at all , Michael.

One thing we can do it write letters to the editor if something related comes up. I think I missed a few opportunities to do this already.

Have a great day!

17. Everydog

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,056
    Each Supervisor has a contact portal here:

Contact Us

18. Everydog

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,056
    Putting this stuff here for easy access.
    Board of Supervisors Land use meeting two times a month : Wednesday in Room 310, located at the San Diego County Administration Center, 1600 Pacific Highway, San Diego, California. The Wednesday session deals with Planning and Land Use matters.

This how the free parking goes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pFp7iuzMWv8&t=61s

I understand that this is one place we would love to have news cameras rolling. Hey, one can wish.

Forestry Chief
    Randy Moore
    Sidney R. Yates Federal Building, 201 14th St SW, Washington, DC 20227

Descanso Ranger
    Robert Heiar
    3348 Alpine Blvd, Alpine, CA 91901

#498 Everydog, Oct 18, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2021
  19. Everydog

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,056
    This is the kind of thing that present opportunities to write letters to the editor. I am happy for their rate payers but it sits poorly that the SWA is getting bailouts and grants while they have been subsidizing their operations with our recreational pool and by closing early. It's like double dipping in to public resources.

I'll try to write the damn thing.

Average pay at the Sweetwater Authority is nearly the same as for San Diego County Supervisors which
    are the second highest in the state. They spend money like drunken sailors.

Sweetwater Authority to receive $800K in COVID-19 funds for delinquent water balances

upload_2021-10-19_0-38-2.png

#499 Everydog, Oct 19, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2021
  20. Everydog

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,056
    It’s my lucky day
    Security at the county administration building thought I am a politician .

it’s going to be two minutes of public advocate magic .