Sweetwater and Loveland

Discussion in 'Freshwater' started by Everydog, May 17, 2020.

1. Everydog

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,166
    The book, Basically , one can have all the integrity in the world , and even be the smartest one in the room. but without mastering successful styles of communication I am not going to be very successful in these kind of endeavors.
    Kind of what the Descanso Ranger said. I am going to have to pay for those sins, probably through bills for mediation, We will see what happens when the Forest Service gets the invitation. All it costs is an smallish non-refundable deposit up until then. I can practice the new communication styles in mediation.

This morning's board of supervisors meeting.
    First speaker at 9:20 . I know I am not sure I believe what I said about the SWA being for the most part a good organization. I believe all the rest of it . Whether or not they are, isn't something useful to dwell on in the context of the board meeting , so , no harm not foul.

2. Everydog

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,166
    What drives me nuts about this is that all around us we see a nasty misery and we know there is lots of it in people right below the surface. The county is allegedly fully invested in and paying millions, allegedly to improve the "safety net" . Meanwhile the SWA is taking scissors to it and not one person in a policy making or regulatory position at any level , will do a thing to stop it. We are ignored and neglected, lied to and deflected. The public servants who have actually engaged , and only because of my sheer force of will, and about a 1000 emails, , sharpen the scissors for the Sweetwater Authority. In turn, these people's uncivilized behavior is overlooked, or protected, too..

#522 Everydog, Nov 7, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2021
  3. Werfless

Werfless The Coach ..RIP my friends
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +60,776
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
    Only people more disgusting than a politician... Public servants in office and reporters... Scum of the earth

4. Everydog

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,166
    Here is Supervisor Anderson's Board letter on cooperation between the county and public entities holding lakes in the
    County. He does mention inviting the SWA into the mix. The SWA has always been hostile to this kind of thing. Why would they join when they can get away with shortchanging the public for 25 years, no , more than 50 years.

They won't play unless it's a bailout for them.

I am going to make a new thread about this.

SUPPORT INCREASED ACCESS TO RESERVOIRS

#524 Everydog, Nov 12, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2021
  5. Everydog

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,166
    It's going to take a while to know the significance of this for all lakes.

I am happy Anderson added the Sweetwater Authority. In opposition to the SWA threats to drain the lake, the new initiative would potentially telegraph the expectation from the county that the minimum recreational pool should be there going forward. The more people/agencies of that mindset the better.

Not sure how this will effect my activities. The lake should open Sunrise to Sunset. Loveland should stay free at least for as long as it is a primitive shoreline fishing only destination.

#525 Everydog, Nov 12, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2021
  6. Slater

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +5,484
    Ive had direct interaction with Mr Anderson over the ridiculous constant issues surrounding people camping / living out of their motorhomes on the eastcounty / Lakeside streets, neighborhoods, etc...
    He was very helpful in assisting me in resolving an issue even though I was using my typical bulldog approach, things can be simple & shouldnt take months, different agencies pointing fingers, etc...

My point is I actually received the petition link in my email & its in circulation due to the fact that apparently I must have signed-up for his news-letter...

SUPPORT INCREASED ACCESS TO RESERVOIRS

7. Everydog

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,166
    That’s cool , Slater,
    It will be interesting to see how this developes from here.

8. Everydog

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,166
    It was great to have Sierra club support at yesterdays board meeting to open the lakes more. Anderson's petition got 700 signatures in just around 2 days. That is very meaningful. Only 3 people, including myself, spoke at the meeting , 2 by phone.

This is big progress nonetheless. Accelerates thinking about trying to get the Forest Service and the County to agree to transfer the Public Access and other power to defend public rights at Loveland transferred over to the the county. That just makes a lot of sense. The Forest Service is still in "closed" ranks and I have asked the parent organization to do an Audit of the situation. I am told that will take some time and I will probably have to be the squeaky wheel there too.

More public records requests going out to the Forest Service and SWA soon.

#528 Everydog, Nov 18, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2021
  9. Everydog

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,166
    #529 Everydog, Nov 18, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2021
  10. Everydog

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,166
  11. Slater

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +5,484
    Today, I am proud to share that the County Board of Supervisors have agreed to work towards more permanent solutions to keep our lakes and reservoirs open indefinitely.
    On Wednesday, November 17, I introduced a board motion that directed the County's Department of Parks and Recreation to begin discussions with the outside agencies that manage East County lakes and reservoirs. The goal is for the County to work alongside these agencies to keep these lakes open for good. The measure was approved unanimously!
    When introducing my measure to my Board colleagues, I showed them the huge stack of more than 750 letters my office received in support of this motion. Thank you to everyone who signed onto my board letter and voiced your support!

12. Everydog

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,166
    This is interesting.

I used a search tool to look over the 2022 Strategic Plan Update that the SWA is discussing Tomorrow:

I found that they want to kick the can down the road with False Dilemmas about the fishing programs and nothing of accountability to the public on/ at Loveland.

But I also found this.
    Define and implement recreational program offerings in partnership with the County of San Diego

This could refer to anything , horseback riding in Bonita, or whatever, but it is interesting and might be useful.

It could be that they are fishing for a bailout in place of continued callous theft of our public rights and recreational pool.

13. Everydog

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,166
    My comments for tomorrow's SWA board meeting.

Good evening, thank you for your time and attention.

The strategic plan should outline equitable public partnership and respect for public trust and quality of life issues with regards to the proper maintenance of the recreational pool and access to Loveland Reservoir from sunrise to sunset for hiking, fishing and birdwatching.

Two items stand out in the 2022 Strategic plan that show your organization is self-enabling continued failure to fulfill these public trust and quality of life issues. These Obligations are made concrete in the existing documentation of good faith negotiations with the public in the 1996-1977 land swap and fishing program relocation.

The 2022 Strategic Planning document that you are working off tonight claims as a “key issue”; Balancing recreation and water quality at agency properties.

Under opportunities; Creating a recreation strategy for Sweetwater facilities that is compatible with water operation and quality.

Both these statements portend continued callous shortchanging of the public in line with SWA’s long running pattern of inserting ruses in place of public trust affirming compliance with these simple to understand obligations.

With regards to Loveland Reservoir, your board and staff decided these things in the late 1990’s with the publicly vetted recreation program, especially the fishing program relocation that was a mandatory component of the 1997 land swap.

Sweetwater Authority’s Lead on the Fishing program relocation, Troy Murphee, under management of the Board, Best and Krieger as legal counsel, and in cooperation with her professional colleagues at the SWA, made it very clear when she wrote:

The easement will be dedicated to the Forest Service in order to provide reasonable public fishing access to replace existing fishing along the shore of Loveland Reservoir. Other persons and organizations provided comments to the USFS indicating concern that sufficient fishing access will not be provided. We feel that the proposal provides a fair compromise between environmental, public, and water quality and supply issues.

Your proper level of accountability and honor would be to comply with the 1997 terms of the public use rights at Loveland Reservoir as nearly as possible at all times. No ruses, no false dilemmas.

The Sweetwater authority is not in compliance now and is maintaining a callous attitude to the public.

#533 Everydog, Dec 1, 2021
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2021
  14. Everydog

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,166
    The SWA did not throw us one bone on Loveland conditions at the Strategic planning workshop. Apparently, "equity" means stealing our lake to balance their books or keep their reserve funds up. They got issues with legacy costs and stagnating sales, maybe even falling water sales. Who are they going to put the screws to, some people they act like they hate in the east county, or their rate payers, or both? Rate payers are not happy, maybe we should unite.

Sand mining is still progressing at Sweetwater Reservoir according to chair Martinez. They call these things "entrepreneurial" and there was some light debate about weather they are reasonable or not. Maybe first signs of descension. All were on board lets see what happens , who blames who it if doesn't pan out. Not one citizen resident around the Sweetwater lake has raised hell about this. People hate this sand mining in their communities. There would have been hell to pay if they kept at it at Loveland and at Cottonwood there is a huge organized backlash.

#534 Everydog, Dec 2, 2021
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2021
  15. Everydog

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,166
    Supervisor Anderson's office sent three requests about Justice issues at Loveland to the County of San Diego's Legal Counsel. There are a lot of emails and board meeting pitches that lead up to this. He and his office, especially the new Chief of Staff sincerely want to help the public. I wish we had confirmation that the full BOS is with us but we don't yet. That will not cease to be a goal.

That said, It's time to be patient on this one. We have the Holidays coming on. My understanding is that this will be a little different for County Counsel. No doubt they can do great things in cooperation with our Supervisors if they want to. I am not going to put my specific "asks" up here out of respect for the process. I hope there is a meaningful process.

upload_2021-12-7_17-52-58.png

16. Everydog

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,166
    Mt wife watches reruns of the British Baking show and Downton Abbey for entertainment. I listen to archived Sweetwater Authority board meetings for the same purpose.

It looks like the Sweetwater Authority can not afford to buy water. After the massive grab from our lake, there isn't much left in it. If there is a regional drought, no bailout there. The Department of Dam Safety is on them to fix the dam at Sweetwater Reservoir. They have squandered money on that by starting on the dam planning a few years ago when warned to fix it by the Department of Dam Safety, but instead of moving forward, decided to go back into kicking the can down the road in the name of prioritizing sand mining instead.

It appears they have been kicking that can since around 2002. About the same time, they started the bait and switch with our fishing program and recreational pool. Well, that's from listening to three Directors who have all been Chairman in the interim. so I guess I believe it.

All of this planning spending and then changing course looks to be inefficient. If sand mining turns out to be a bust, which it is at Loveland and appears to be at the Sweetwater Reservoir, this is maybe multiple millions down the drain, plus enormous human capital that would have been better employed on Mission Statement compatible issues. Clean healthy water is delivered at an affordable rate. . There has been inflation that will affect this required work. There are new standards to comply with because of Lessons learned from Oroville. I mean, that's fair, you snooze you lose. It costs more now. Poor ratepayers though, and people who deserve a lake but can't have one because of SWA incompetence and greed.

*SWA claims to be in great shape with money, so maybe they are.

#536 Everydog, Dec 7, 2021
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2021
  17. Everydog

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,166
    I was reading an article about Corruption in a water district where the Bureau of Land Management was involved and failed massively at appropriate engagement and admitted it.

"This is not a case where BLM conducted an appropriate level of analysis, in which the court might find some technical legal errors. Instead, BLM failed to prepare the required analyses altogether.”
    BUREAU OF LAND MANAGEMENT CALLS FOUL ON ITSELF

If the BLM can admit this level of engagement failure, why not the Forest Service? Why can't (won't) the Forest Service hold the Sweetwater Authority accountable for proper engagement with their obligatory programs?

Also, I did watch some Downton Abbey and even have some favorite characters.

18. Everydog

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,166
    Sweetwater Authority has been invited to mediation with me. The mediation group sent it out Monday morning.
    I wondered whether to invite them or the Forest Service. It was a hard decision but the Forest Service has repeatedly told me it's my job to work with the SWA, so I put that in the application. I am actually surprised it got sent.

We will see if they go, or claim I don't have jurisdiction to merit them going to mediation with me over the fishing program. It's optional to the respondent(SWA) anyway. I had to do something with the Forest Service and SWA hiding and not engaging in a way that respects the public.

We do have a lot of help now. With the way the story has evolved, I may try to look for a public benefits lawyer again. I am better at framing and supporting the issues. With the supervisor sending it to County Counsel and the reputation of some of our co-advocates being much more high status than some disgruntled fishermen, pro-bono have a better chance of getting traction. The response to mediation is going to give good guidance one way or another.

Lots of things simmering, including a complaint about the Forest Service I emailed and sent registered mail to the USDA Secretary Tom Vilsak

19. Everydog

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,166
    Thank you letter to Supervisor Anderson for sending issues to San Diego County Counsel.

Thank you, Chief of Staff, Sleeper!

This is awesome progress on the Sweetwater Authority public trust issues.

The recent discussion about Community Benefit Agreements comes to mind. instinct makes me question this. Acknowledging that I may be pretty ignorant of what that involves, one asks, if there is no accountability does it turn out to be another format for developer perks? I remember our first phone conversation about the Sweetwater Authority dereliction when we talked about how "big companies" don't always fulfill their obligations. Yes, accountability is hard to come by. What if we were not working on this? Sand mining, and no lake in Alpine maybe.
    Best,
    Russell

20. Everydog

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,166
    The Forest Service is invited to mediation. The usual long list of CC.

Dear Forest Supervisor Tangenberg,

You will see from this attachment that I have requested mediation with the Sweetwater Authority(SWA) over the public trust issues around conservation and recreation that I have been bringing to your attention over the last year and a half.
    It was a difficult situation to make a decision whether to invite your agency or the SWA. Since you and Descanso Ranger Heiar have steadfastly maintained over this time, that my best public advocacy is to work with the SWA, that is the path I chose. I would be happy to include the US Forest Service in this hopefully beneficial process.

The Sweetwater Authority should respond to the mediation request within a few weeks. Please let me know at your earliest convenience of your agency's interest, or lack of, in going to mediation.

Very Respectfully,

Russell Walsh Volunteer Public Advocate

619-xxx-xxxx
    4639 Montiel Truck Trail

Jamul CA, 91935