Sweetwater and Loveland

Discussion in 'Freshwater' started by Everydog, May 17, 2020.

1. Everydog

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,586
    Low as heck, but still beautiful. There is a little water coming in now. Not a meaningful amount, but maybe a good setup for coming rains. This lake can fill up fast.
    upload_2021-12-10_20-34-0.jpeg

Got lucky on the way back to the car and found a few surprise fish. Healthy looking too.

upload_2021-12-10_20-37-16.jpeg

2. Everydog

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,586
    No news might be good news.

There has not been any talk in SWA board meetings about draining the lake for a long time now. They have a fairly small window when they are allowed to transfer water because of toad reproductive rights. That might extend through February, I am not sure of the exact window. Usually, there would be a kind of build-up to the transfer of water from Loveland to the Sweetwater Reservoir. Nothing so far as I have noticed. This is one of the main topics I am hoping to bring up at mediation if they will go.

None, or very little talk about the fishing program situation at Loveland since the lake opened seven days a week last spring.

3. Everydog

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,586
    I left phone messages about the mediation requests for the Cleveland National Forest Supervisor and the Descanso Ranger. Hoping against hope that they will take this as an opportunity to move to a reasonably public-friendly and fair stance on the fishing program.

4. Everydog

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,586

The Forest Service does not want to participate in the mediation with the Sweetwater Authority regarding THEIR
    fishing program. Notice he won't even say the public fishing program or anything like it. Shaking my head.

That is just weird. He calls it the SWA's fishing program but goes to great lengths to defend the discrepancies in sunrise to sunset not being met and claims authoritatively that there is no minimum water level. ( that's in the attached letter he mentions).

Email From the Descanso Ranger after I called him today.

Mr. Walsh,

The Cleveland National Forest respectfully declines the invitation to join you in your requested mediation with Sweetwater Authority regarding Loveland Reservoir and their fishing program. I direct your attention to the attached letter dated April 14, 2021. The US Forest Service continues to consider these matters closed and recommends you work with Sweetwater Authority to address your concerns.

Respectfully,

Bob Heiar

[​IMG]

Bob Heiar (he/him/his)
    District Ranger

US Forest Service

Cleveland National Forest

Descanso Ranger District

c: 619-517-6275
    robert.heiar@usda.gov

3348 Alpine Blvd.

Alpine, CA 91901
    www.fs.fed.us

Caring for the land and serving people

5. Werfless

Werfless The Coach ..RIP my friends
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +61,833
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
    Human garbage.. my Lord, what a mess

6. Everydog

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,586
    The fact of the matter is that the Forest Service is still using its discretion to allow the SWA to shortchange the public. The claim that it is the SWA's fishing program is just the Forest Service being unreliable. Even the SWA knows it's our fishing program.

The County is working on it. If they can't move this mess in a good direction then the best people to fix this would be our Congressmen, Vargas, Issa, and the new one, Mike Levin. The first two won't lift a finger. Maybe the new one, Mike Levin, will. Actually, Vargas' office should have helped when I was putting all that time in energy in with his staff.

Supposedly it's a bad time to screw with public recreation. Seems a lot of people didn't get the memo.

7. Everydog

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,586
    So, just a correction. The SWA is still talking about draining Loveland, but now in the context of changing out the drain outlet. How convenient that would be. They do acknowledge concerns for the environment, and the public being upset about the damage to OUR fishing program. "50 acre-feet(AF) of water would remain in the reservoir"
    . This is small, really small.

upload_2021-12-16_10-58-41.png

8. Everydog

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,586
    One more correction.

I was arguing with a sheriff deputy at Loveland about why she was enforcing the SWA excessive closure of the lake when it is a civil matter. She said the property is public property. She was right and I was wrong. I am glad to be wrong in this case. Loveland reservoir is public property.

Why was/ is the County Sherriff enforcing the obstruction and taking of public property, by a public entity the SWA, against public interests?

9. Everydog

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,586
    San Diego County Counsel reported back to Supervisor Anderson's Chief of Staff. The response is the one that was most expected. The Board of Supervisors would have to vote to bring justice to the Loveland Public Trust violations.

One cool thing, It was stated again that Mr. Anderson would vote in favor. It seems like they all should. Who knows how to get it on the agenda for a vote? Please tell me! I'll be working on that next year.

Still haven't heard about SWA's intentions on mediation, would like to know that before going back to Board of Supervisor meetings but it isn't a big deal. I suppose within a week or two of not hearing from them, it will be safe to say they are not going to answer the request for mediation. I expect "no", or no reply. Any outcome is good information.

10. Everydog

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,586
    I have enjoyed a break from this issue over the holidays, that said my anger and certainly my resolve have not gone away.

Today I got notice that the Sweetwater Authority has refused mediation. This is good. I was worried how much it was going to cost me for one thing and for another, it shows they don't want to be fair at all. I suspect they are well aware that I am enlisting help from the County Board of Supervisors. Let's see where this goes in 2022.

BOS are informed that our partners in government, the Forest Service, and the Sweetwater Authority are neglectful and or still cheating and intending to cheat the public. CC'd half a dozen media contacts, hopefully, one day, the press will help again. Formatting was good in the email doesn't cut and paste well.

Supervisor Joel Anderson, Chief of Staff Maggie Sleeper,

I hope you and yours are having a nice holiday. I am sending this update on my Loveland Reservoir advocacy for when you get back to work.
    The SWA has declined mediation over the public trust issues of access,
    and respect for the fishing program minimum recreational pool at Loveland Reservoir.
    The Forest Service, Descanso Ranger, Robert Heiar, recently declined an invitation to mediation also, telling me specifically to work with the Sweetwater Authority.
    The Sweetwater Authority's refusal to meet me in mediation shows that I can not work with them on behalf of the public.

The lack of a reliable government partner is bad for confidence in all levels of government at a time when trust should be of maximum importance. I will be back at BOS meetings as soon as they restart.
    I hope you, Supervisor Anderson, and the rest of the Board of Supervisors can see that we need to secure full access and protection of Loveland Reservoir recreational amenity by some means. It looks like rains may restore a semblance of the proper recreational, emergency reserves, and conservation pool, but we can not trust the Sweetwater Authority to leave it there. The SWA should resume water storage and transfer procedures, and allow peaceful access and use in accordance with good faith public vetting at the time of the 1997 land swap and Loveland Reservoir fishing program relocation. Sunrise to Sunset is the only appropriately publicly vetted schedule, The Sweetwater Authority has denied your constituents and all proper lake fair access since 2013, or earlier. They have excessively tapped this public resource of the minimum recreational pool for years, and are threatening to do worse than ever in the near future.
    It appears that we need an MOU, or something stronger, with legitimate terms firmly expressed to protect the public from the tactics of the Sweetwater Authority and the neglect of the Forest Service.

I look forward to advancing these concerns in the new year.
    Very Respectfully,

Russell Walsh Volunteer Public Advocate.

11. Everydog

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,586
    upload_2021-12-28_19-30-12.png

12. Everydog

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,586
    I don't like the Sweetwater Authority, but the whole story always comes back to the Forest Service.
    Everything I said they were doing, being asleep at the wheel for a very long time, wrongly denying jurisdiction, and when forced to admit jurisdiction, looking to capitulate and find a side door out regardless of how debilitating this is to the public, every bit of it true, and every bit of it shameful and untrustworthy. Now they are enjoying long taxpayer-provided holidays. Public servants?

The media is surprising. I am not sure about any of what I am about to put out here, but I am starting to believe that most journalists are maybe even more calculating of advantages and disadvantages for themselves than the politicians. They won't make a story for the little guys because they would have to own it due to our relative lack of power and influence. They would rather cover power vs. power. Left vs. Right, This is all a process, I don't know what to think really, but that's the trend. I even wonder if they enjoy perks for playing nice for the right influential bodies, or in service to one brand of political correctness, or another, rather than thinking about justice, just like politicians.

13. Everydog

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,586
    Well , I said I am angry.

Lori Brown
    Director of Constituent Services
    State Senator Brian Jones
    Dear Ms. Brown,
    I hope you are having a great Holiday season/
    I am going to link a submittal I just made to Cal OES. I may be asking for your help with this. I would like to know how to go directly to the Federal agencies for which OES is the intermediary on any Federal Grants.
    The Forest Service and Sweetwater Authority have rejected professional mediation with me.
    The Sweetwater Authority will not remove the threat to drain the lake , or address the diminished publicly accessible shoreline or the inappropriately restricted hours.
    I do not feel any State or Federal agency should be looking for additional bailout for this organization without demands that they act in good faith on behalf of the State of California's citizens.
    Here is what I submitted . Thank you for your time and attention on this important civic matter.
    Very Respectfully,
    Russell Walsh
    619-922-6235
    4639 Montiel Truck Trail
    Jamul CA, 91935

14. Everydog

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,586
    Sweetwater Authority closed both lakes until March 3 due to "staffing shortages". It won't help to argue about that with what is going on over Omicron. I wonder if they will have enough staff to steal more water this winter?

15. Everydog

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,586
    It looks like two lake caretakers quit and one retired.
    Once again, it's probably not even Covid. Just the SWA putting the public first in line to be screwed over for their mismanagement problems. After all, a quarantined person is only out for 5 days now.
    They see that as a fit reason to close the lake for two months at the minimum. (they are going to decide whether to open it in March.

What other lake would shut out the public because a couple of people quit? Such entitlement.

upload_2022-1-8_1-41-14.png

16. Everydog

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,586
    Dear County Supervisors,

Please intervene on behalf of your constituents with the latest public trust violation by the Sweetwater Authority.

Sweetwater Authority has closed regional hiking and fishing programs over staffing problems, not Covid. Not only did they close Sweetwater and Loveland reservoirs to the public, but they have also done so at least until the first week in March. The option of the Sweetwater Authority board is to continue to keep the lakes closed beyond that.

These actions are in direct contravention to the County Board of Supervisors' offer to shore up Reservoir open hours with qualified County Parks and Recreation personnel. The raw rogue of Sweetwater Authority dismisses both the County Board of Supervisors and the 3.2 million residents they represent. Sweetwater Authority's inability to conduct this basic service to the public is a capricious and unnecessary abuse of the public by denying taxpayers the right to public resources. This is exactly why we need a reliable public partner such as the County of San Diego to insert control over this situation.

Based on last year's excessive closing of the lakes on the excuse of Covid, we can’t trust the Sweetwater Authority Board. The SWA closed their lakes first, open last and least, and refused to catch up with the level of access to all of the 20 or so regional lakes were providing for almost a year. They still refuse to operate the lake from sunrise to sunset as it is obligated to do for the public. There is a documented 50 Year history of the SWA shortchanging the public.

Once again they have shown that fulfilling public trust is the lowest concern of their management priorities. They claim that they need available lake management staff to do brush clearing. They have relationships with contractors who could do the brush clearing, if it really has to be done, and quit with these ruses they have used for decades against the very important need or recreation and the public’s ability to believe in our partners in government.

I am pasting an image which, shows that the Sweetwater Authority is giving itself an underserved absence from meeting its obligations to the constituents of all San Diego County Board of Supervisors. I hope you all will see that this is the wrong time for such public trust violations and to remove much-needed socially distanced outdoor recreation from the citizens of this county.

Very Respectfully.

Russell Walsh Volunteer Public Advocate

619-xxx-xxxx

4639 Montiel Truck Trail

upload_2022-1-8_1-41-14-png.png

17. Everydog

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,586
    Here's the crazy thing, I am posting about half the work that's going out.

Lately been trying to turn around the closures at Loveland and Sweetwater Reservoir. Yeah, good luck with that. I'll submit comments to the SWA board tomorrow.

Trying to engage the county supervisors in that issue, the lake closures, and push forward with a long-term solution for public partner neglect at Loveland in particular.

scott.tangenberg@usda.gov

10845 Rancho Bernardo Road
    San Diego, CA 92127
    www.fs.fed.us
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Dear Forrest Supervisor Tangenberg,

The Sweetwater Authority has closed Loveland reservoir again. This is not about Covid. Not to the extent of fully closing the much-needed public resource until at least March.

I am trying to persuade the SWA board to reopen the lake and will participate in their board meeting tomorrow in hopes of seeing the board turn it around.

While I am bringing this to your attention, you might know that I have been working with the County Supervisors, especially my own, Joel Anderson, with the goal of installing the County of San Diego as the public partner at Loveland Reservoir. During these efforts, Mr. Anderson and his staff designed an initiative to involve the County of San Diego in multi-agency operations with lake managers across the county, including the Sweetwater Authority. The full Board of supervisors passed Mr. Anderson's initiative via a Land Use session 11/17/21 vote on a board letter Supervisor Anderson brought forth.

Supervisor Anderson's Chief of Staff, acting in a constituent services role, promoted the idea of asking the Forrest Service to transfer the full power of the Land Swap / Fishing Program Relocation documents and public access easement to the County of San Diego. County Counsel reviewed this idea. County Counsel suggested that the Full Board of Supervisors would have to organize such a push. We are working on that.

My ask for the Forrest Service is for your agency to proactively reach out to the County of San Diego, my Supervisor's staff, to explore this idea.

In the meantime please evaluate if the SWA current Loveland Closure matches what is happening in the San Diego County Facilities that the Forrest Services operates. I believe that previously such comparisons guided your agency's decisions on expectations for the Sweetwater Authority.
    Please let me know if you need any information about the current lake closure or this attempt at transferring the public partnership role for Loveland Reservoir to the County of San Diego.

My contact with Supervisor Anderson Staff is;

Maggie Sleeper
    Chief of Staff
    County Supervisor Joel Anderson

(619) 228-4149

Maggie.Sleeper@sdcounty.ca.gov

[​IMG]

Very Respectfully,
    Russell Walsh Volunteer Public Advocate
    619-922-6235
    4639 Montiel Truck Trail
    Jamul CA, 91935

18. Everydog

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,586
    This could backfire, actually succeeding with the county. I can only do my best. Anyway, it seems there is no other way to stop the SWA without the County Supervisors. Let's see how it all evolves.

19. Everydog

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,586
    Today I received a new batch of documents from the SWA. It's like Christmas again. I always get good stuff out of these.
    It appears that the fishing float was a part of meeting their easement requirements for Handicapped users, elderly and less robust individuals, Including, wait for it, giving them access to deeper water
    Now it sits in the mud, where the minimum recreational pool used to be.

upload_2022-1-11_17-35-41.png

20. Everydog

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,586
    Just a reminder for myself. I want to know if the SWA is charging these San Diego County Water Authority fees on "local water" some of which has been coming from our minimum recreational pool.

upload_2022-1-11_17-44-53.png