Sweetwater and Loveland

Discussion in 'Freshwater' started by Everydog, May 17, 2020.

1. Everydog

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,593
    Going back to the thing with the Sheriff. So now I have been to 7 county supervisor meetings and the topic now includes the SWA putting millions of dollars of HUD/; Taxpayer sponsored fishing facilities behind locked gates.
    It included very clear knowledge that the SWA destroyed a public fishing amenity by stealing millions of dollars from an easily defensible recreational pool to subsidize their water district operation. For all of this, there is "no bandwidth" from a single elected official in this nation, let alone the county. But if we jump across the Sweetwater Authorities barricades to go use these public facilities that they have damaged and, or are obstructing excessively AGAIN, a sheriff deputy will be there in a heartbeat to cite us for trespassing and the real estate and human capital of a superior court will be used to process the citation.

Did I mention that the majority of Loveland Users are in Anderson's district?

2. Everydog

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,593
    Lets see if we can get a break with HUD

Dear Hud Customer Service Assistant,

I am reaching out to learn who would help the public in San Diego with two HUD-funded public recreation projects in Alpine and Bonita in San Diego County

The recreation projects consist of Hud-funded fishing and park facilities at Loveland Reservoir in Alpine CA and the Sweetwater Reservoir in Bonita CA.

These recreation facilities were funded in 2008 to provide increased access to the elderly, other-abled, and families.

Last year, the lake manager, Sweetwater Authority callously closed the lakes excessively during Covid when the public badly needed these kinds of facilities for outdoor, socially distanced recreation and the relief to individuals and public health benefits they provide. This lake manager was the only one in the region, state, and nation that blatantly abused Covid as a ruse for keeping the lakes closed. They are now closed again until at least March 4, 2022. Furthermore, at Loveland Reservoir, the HUD fishing float has been in the dirt and weeds far from the water due to the lake manager wrongfully draining the minimum pool.

Additional public areas made accessible with trails also built by HUD funds are devoid of water. Instead of having improved fishing and hiking for the elderly and children, and the access to year-round deep water from these areas, as the Sweetwater Authority promised the US Government, it's all high and dry and full of huge weeds and brush.

The small amount of shoreline we are allowed to fish when the lake is actually properly opened is rugged, even for robust individuals. It's ruined for everybody else.

There are other public trust violations this agency dumps on citizens. Intervention in these discrepancies I have explained in this email seems like the best to address first. The lakes need to be opened with no excuses and accessibility at Loveland Reservoir needs to be repaired.

We badly need a reliable government partner to help mediate these injustices. Please help with guidance toward that end.

This is a link to news coverage that we were able to get early in 2021. We have not been able to advance any resolutions since then. The image is of the HUD-funded fishing float at Loveland Reservoir.

Thank you,
    Russell Walsh

619-9xx-xxxx

4639 Montiel Truck Trail

Jamul CA,91935

3. Everydog

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,593
    Someone in this thread Made a Shawshank redemption reference to this lost cause I have taken up.
    Outside of this forum, someone made another movie comparison. Mr. Smith Goes to Washington.
    Kind of slow. There's nothing new.
    https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0031679/

4. Everydog

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,593
    This happened about a week ago. I wrote a post but couldn't control my temper so deleted it. I still am very angry when I think about it, but at least can post what happened without too much color commentary. Anderson's Chief of Staff told me that the District 2 County Supervisor, which is Anderson, doesn't have the "Bandwidth" to ask the full board to take on the Sweetwater Authority's trashing of the lakes and his/their constituents. I haven't been able to update you on this because of the feeling of contempt for him. Also, for the board, due to believing none of them would do it either. I guess that last part will get tested at the board meetings unless we get a break some other way first.

I knew they were probably being coy with me. So it wasn't a surprise. Still, I see phony do-gooder crap these people have endless bandwidth for and it infuriates me against the backdrop of the volume of lying cheating, and destruction by the Sweetwater Authority that they are endorsing and practically promoting by turning a blind eye and a deaf ear.

#584 Everydog, Jan 22, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2022
  5. Everydog

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,593
    All the politicians are on top of smash and grabs, of course, they are, these affect the rich and powerful.
    How is what the Sweetwater Authority is doing not a smash and grab right in Mr. Anderson's and Juan Vargas' faces and the faces of all these phony do-gooders?

6. Everydog

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,593
  7. Everydog

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,593
    loveland-reservoir-jpg.jpg

That's the minimum pool right there. Look at all the storage capacity above it. This is what the SWA told HUD would be under the fishing float in perpetuity because of the minimum pool and because of the Forest Service Easement.

8. Everydog

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,593
    Dear Forest Supervisors,
    Mr. Tangenberg and Mr. Heiar,

This Document between the Descanso Rangers office and the Sweetwater Authority shows that in 2009 the Sweetwater Authority still expected itself to act in a servient role regarding the fishing easement and the Descanso Ranger's office representing the dominant tenement, still seemed to want a public service role for lake users. This does not match what you are asking me to assume, that neglect did not creep in on the part of the Forest Service and the Sweetwater Authority did not get an inch and take a thousand miles.

This evidence is going to keep piling up. Somewhere along the line, our perpetual easement rights were no longer important to the Forest Service. Now the Descanso Rangers office won't even respond when informed that Loveland Reservoir is closed again. In 2009 the SWA had to tread lightly to get the first two holidays since the easement went into effect. Now they run all over us.

I have tried to bring to your attention that the SWA cited the perpetual nature of the Forest Service easement when it applied for grant money from HUD in 2012 to build the fishing float and make the lake more accessible to the elderly and young alike. The SWA claimed to HUD that the facilities would give comfortable deep water access to these people year-round because it was in the “minimum pool”.

This is the same minimum pool that the Descanso Ranger calmed the public's concerns of low water periods with. Everything rhymes and the documents are a record of it.

Please reconsider your role as a public servant at Loveland Reservoir. Why would this all be set up so that the public's most reliable public servant is not the Forest Service, and not the Sweetwater Authority, but Russell Walsh?

Very Respectfully.

Russell Walsh

9. Everydog

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,593
    Followed up my last 1000 emails to the Forest Service Supervisor with a call today.
    This is part of the effort to ensure the lake is not drained further and defend the minimum pool when rain allows for it. Mr. Tangenberg says he wants this, which is hopeful.

He does excuse SWA for everything they have done and are doing with these new closures but hopes conditions will approve at the lake, with rain, a few staff changes at Loveland. I suggest we can not be at the whim of SWA staffing problems because 50% of their staff is in line to retire in the next 5 years. I told him the SWA should file bankruptcy and restructure if they can't meet their obligations for the land swap...and that they should quit buying real estate if they claim they need to save money abandoning public recreation to clear brush.

He knows now that relatively high-paid lake managers are assigned to clear brush as a ruse to keep the lake closed, one ruse of thousands over the history of the SWA.

I told him even if water levels improve the SWA will steal it again without an MOU or something similar.
    Anyway, he says he wants to see it improve.

This is pretty big, He did assure me that they are not going to terminate the Easement.
    I regret that I did not ask him if the possibility of Sunrise to Sunset was still intact.
    Next time.

I really just pleaded with him to do what past Rangers have done and what he can do.
    Only dropped one F-bomb, not directed at anyone. More like this is a F'ing disaster kind of thing. More people should tell their stories to the Forest Supervisor. He now knows that the SWA made kids cry over the devastation at the lake. Truth be told probably some adults too, not naming names, just kidding.

#589 Everydog, Jan 24, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2022
  10. Everydog

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,593
    The Forest Service people are working with the SWA and will be.

It's possible, maybe probable, that the Forest Service is working on a 5-year agreement with the SWA.
    If so, the sunrise to sunset operation won't likely be part of it. People should get in the mix on Sunrise to Sunset before possibly it gets written out, despite what the easement says, for many years with a medium to a long-term agreement. I think people don't care about this enough. That's super shortsighted IMO.

Once again I am going to try to get Anderson to tell the Forest Service and the SWA that his constituents need this....but anyone else who cares should get past the stinking inertia.

#590 Everydog, Jan 24, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2022
  11. Everydog

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,593
    This map shows trails for the HUD grant. They are 4 to 6 feet wide and were, I believe Funded on the condition of maintenance in perpetuity. They were to protect environmentally sensitive areas from foot traffic and make the lake more suitable for the elderly, kids, families. There is a funny story to go with this. Once, socks full of stickers, I innocently asked a caretaker if they ever did maintenance on the trails, not even these trails, any trails, he said, "no, lake users just find their way and it works pretty good" The next time I was out there he was making half-*** measures against some annual grasses with a string trimmer. Any way scrolling through the years on google earth shows two things. Anyway, putting this here as a reminder as usual.
    • It looks like the trails were never even built.
    • The Second Bridge the blue on in the picture was never installed

The conditions for approval of the grant appear to show

upload_2022-1-25_9-59-54.png

SWAWALSH0000508.pdf

12. Everydog

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,593
    Loveland is open 8:00 -3;00 Friday through Monday.
    Sweetwater Reservoir Same.

13. Everydog

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,593
    People can submit comments to the Sweetwater Board meeting tomorrow here;
    Form Center • Sweetwater Authority, CA • CivicEngage

Very easy to do: For the date put 01/26/2022 for time 6:00 PM
    It has to be done an hour before the meeting so 5:00 PM tomorrow.
    Someone will read it for you.

Here's mine, already submitted.

Just cut and paste if you want to. Make them read it twice, or make your own things. Mine might be too mean.

We are very near the one-year anniversary of the Sweetwater Authority “smash and grab” that lead to the destruction of the Loveland Reservoir Fishing Program. The Hud sponsored float which the Sweetwater Authority claimed in grant application materials, water board permits, and the CEQA document, was for the elderly, young and families to have improved access and enjoyment is now covered in massive weed growth.

Furthermore for the purpose of persuasion for the grant funding, SWA staff, correctly noted that the public, these, elderly, kids, and families, would enjoy deep-water access to fishing 365 days a year in perpetuity due to constraints of the Forest Service Fishing Easement and the fact that the float was put in the “minimum pool’. As I told you last year, the Float was/should be in the minimum pool.

Meanwhile, to add insult to injury you continue to flaunt the excess freedom the Forest Service has unfortunately granted you over the operation of the public amenities in Alpine. Due to obvious management problems, the lake and HUD facilities are excessively closed again.

What is worse is that you have done it at the Sweetwater Reservoir where the HUD-funded facilities are designed for and should be maximally extended to Handicapped individuals.

Does this board have no shame whatsoever?

Maybe we could have avoided this if the Professional Mediation with the San Diego Association of Realtors was accepted by your organization. Why not choose to go? It’s often quoted that Sunlight is the best disinfectant. That was my attempt at getting you some rays. This board perhaps more than anyone else needs some exposure. Perhaps you should open the lakes, repair them as should be, and walk around and enjoy them just as the public in South Bay and in the East County deserve to.

14. Everydog

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,593
    HUD and State Waterboards require a "permanence" element., or "preservation mechanism " for the approval of the grant by HUD, and the 401 Certification from State Waterboards who controlled the environment side of the process. That permanence element in both cases was the 365 day a year sunrise to sunset fishing, hiking, and birdwatching easement. The easement is its own "permanence" element because it runs in perpetuity. CASE CLOSED.

upload_2022-1-26_0-19-1.png

upload_2022-1-26_0-17-13.png

#594 Everydog, Jan 26, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2022
  15. Everydog

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,593
    A couple of good public comments for the SWA board tonight. A first-time commenter did great.
    It's savage to take these lakes away at this time.
    8:00-3:00 doesn't work at Loveland. Only Sunrise to Sunset really works there.

It seems like we could be on the downhill stretch, not an easy downhill, anyone who ever ran a hilly marathon would know. It took almost two years to get up here. Maybe another year to get to the finish.
    If t is not that, then it probably truly is a lost cause.

#595 Everydog, Jan 26, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2022
  16. Everydog

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,593
    Sweetwater Reservoir is on a normal schedule.

17. Everydog

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,593
    New District Ranger Reports to the Descanso Ranger District
    Release Date: Jan 23, 2012

Contact(s): Brian Harris, Public Affairs Officer, 858-674-2984 office, 619-937-1462 cell

San Diego, CA. The Cleveland National Forest welcomes Donn Christiansen as the new District Ranger on the Descanso Ranger District in Alpine, CA.

Christiansen started his Forest Service career in 1991 as the Counseling Program Manager at the Timber Lake Job Corps Civilian Conservation Center on the Mt. Hood National Forest in Oregon. He has spent 20 years in management positions with Forest Service in Oregon, Idaho, North Carolina, Arkansas and Colorado. He most recently served as the Natural Resource Liaison Officer for the Forest Service’s Job Corps National Office in Denver, Colorado. He brings national and local wildland fire programs, and emergency response experience to the Descanso District.

“I see my role as the District Ranger as an opportunity to strengthen community relations, and to preserve and enhance the natural resources on the Forest”, said Christiansen. “As the District Ranger, I have always felt the District is where the work gets done and where we best serve the public interest. I look forward to working with all of our local partners and communities within eastern San Diego County.”

Christiansen holds a Bachelor Degree in Psychology and a Masters in Human Services. He has received National Directors awards for Leadership (2007) and Civil Rights (2008). In his free time, Christiansen enjoys boating, sporting activities and being outdoors. He lives in San Diego with his wife Narcy.

Christiansen replaces Owen Martin as the Descanso District Ranger. Martin transferred to the Chequamegon-Nicolet National Forest in Wisconsin as the Forest’s new Deputy Forest Supervisor in April 2011.

-CNF-

CLEVELAND NATIONAL FOREST WELCOMES NEW DISTRICT RANGERS

18. Werfless

Werfless The Coach ..RIP my friends
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +61,846
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
    These scum .. about all I'm willing to say..

19. Everydog

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,593

We lost the lake on the last two Descanso Ranger's watches. The Forest Service tried to tell me they never would have had a role beyond 2002 if even that. Ridiculous. In the very first weeks of this thread, I told them they fell asleep at the wheel and now they don't want to wake up while the SWA has damn near taken everything and isn't stopping. Reading their Bio's you would think it would have been impossible for this to happen.....lots of recreation and caring for individuals, communities, blah blah blah.

SWA Changed too. Troy Murphree, who lead the fishing program and environmental staff for the land swap left about the same time. She was doing pretty good it seems. General Managers changed, and probably most importantly there were huge shifts at the board of supervisors. The SWA Board of Supervisors is where it really went wrong. Anglers didn't seem to put up much of a fight.

#599 Everydog, Jan 28, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2022
  20. Everydog

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,593
    The board shift is really it, no institutional memory, no commitment to the deal, or the people they made it with. Once they started taking everything they don't want to give it back.

#600 Everydog, Jan 28, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List