Sweetwater and Loveland

Discussion in 'Freshwater' started by Everydog, May 17, 2020.

1. Everydog

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,177
    I am wondering if they don't want to develop it someday. You know, a lot of times this is about a real estate endgame. Man I'm gonna be the worst NIMBY they ever met.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  2. Everydog

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,177
    Continuing my Hobby of trying to get this lake appropriately opened:

I at least momentarily got the Regional Director of the Dept of Forestry talking with me. He has been ignoring me for months. He only told me to work with the SWA again. I explained that they have in their memo that on his authority that they don't have to work with me or anyone else.

He is basically giving the Sweetwater Authority a free pass on US land rights ,and the removal of public land access rights to us , the citizens. Kind of not very smart of him to do that.

3. Everydog

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,177
    Todays Friendly letter to the Sweetwater Authority,

Dear Ms. Birge and Sweetwater Board Members,

I have recently had communication with Scott Tangenberg of the USDA Department of Forestry.

He, once again, encouraged me to continue to work with you. I assume that means he is also encouraging you to work with me, contrary to what was stated in the Memo that was prepared for the September 3rd operations meeting.

With this new start, I would like you to review my last correspondence where I referred to opening the lake Tuesday, Wednesday, Friday , Saturday and Sunday.
    This is very reasonable to the public in light of the concerns your staff has and behavior at the lake when exaggeration about bad behavior by memberd of the public, and exaggeration of threats posed to your staff are appropriately mitigated.
    If you have questions about the items and threats exaggerated I will be glad to
    expand on those.

Sincerely,

Everydog

4. Everydog

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,177
    I am going to quit posting updates about my advocacy to get Loveland open. I am talking to some other people and should shut up until that is finished.

There is this on the Sweetwater Board regular meeting next week. I'm not sure what it means? That I have been fighting for us to fish in a lake that may not have water in it soon?

From the Agenda.
    C. Consideration to Authorize the General Manager to Lower Loveland Reservoir Below Current Emergency Storage Levels Prior to Completion of the Feasibility Study and Implementation of its Recommendations (Item requested by Director Martinez)

#84 Everydog, Sep 4, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2020
  5. camobass

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +5,729
    Boat:
    It floats
    Wow, too bad

6. Everydog

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,177
    On the dropping of water levels at Loveland, Unanimously approved by the board. I made public requests for information on how the legal section of the lake will look when they do this and what the target date is and they blew me off.

From the minutes.
    Director Martinez made a motion, seconded by Director Sotelo-Solis, that the Governing Board authorize the General Manager to lower Loveland Reservoir below current emergency storage levels prior to completion of the Feasibility Study and implementation on its recommendations in order to maximize the value of the next water transfer. The motion carried unanimously.

7. camobass

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +5,729
    Boat:
    It floats
    Crazy

8. Everydog

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,177

This is what the Sweetwater Authority would not disclose to me when I asked recently. They are contemplating drawing the lake down to 1,100 ACRE FEET , That would be a puddle. Currently there are over 18,000 Acre Feet for reference.

Various options are available for addressing changes to the Loveland fishing program. Board input is needed to help guide these decisions. Options are available for addressing changes to the Loveland fishing program include the following: • Water Supply Primacy: A water-supply primacy policy would prioritize operation of the reservoir for water supply operations, and accommodate fishing access only in those years when water levels allowed access. The reservoir would at times be drawn down to minimum pool elevation 1248 (1,150 AF) consistent with the recommended revisions to the Authority’s reservoir operating practices. • Multi-Purpose: A multi-purpose policy would give some weight to maintenance of access for fishing, establishing minimum recreation pool levels in place of or in addition to minimum emergency storage levels. For example, with reference to Figure 5-1, a target minimum pool elevation of 1280 (4,500 AF) would preserve water surface access for fishing in all years. In comparison to drawdowns to minimum pool, this operation would incur additional evaporation losses of approximately5 300 AF/yr, valued at approximately $300,000 per year, and additional spill losses of possibly comparable value. The operation would also forego a one-time surplus storage withdrawal of approximately 3,350 AF, valued at approximately $3 million. 5 The estimate for additional storage losses has been adjusted downward to account for years when water levels would remain high due to abundant supply conditions. Avg. Net Evaporation @ 3.5 ft/yr USGS Volume Area Depth Volume Volume Incremental Comments (ft.) (AF) (acres) (ft.) (AF/yr) (%) (%) 1248 1,130 57.7 19.6 202 18% Minimum Pool 1260 1,988 86 23.1 301 15% 12% 1270 3,039 126 24.1 441 15% 13% 1280 4,456 156 28.6 546 12% 7% 1290 6,168 185 33.3 648 10% 6% 1298 7,730 206 37.5 721 9% 5% ~Current E. Storage 1300 8,147 211 38.6 739 9% 4% 1310 10,402 240 43.3 840 8% 5% 1320 12,954 272 47.6 952 7% 4% 1330 15,872 313 50.7 1,096 7% 5% 1340 19,266 366 52.6 1,281 7% 5% 1356 25,844 461 56.1 1,614 6% 5% ~Full Reservoir 64 GILLINGHAM WATER 49 DRAFT October 7, 2020 • Revise Recreation Program Boundaries and Access: The Authority could revise the operating practice as recommended, and investigate options for extending fishing and recreational access to lower water levels. This would entail costs for relocating facilities. Also, any revisions to the recreation program involving expanded boundaries or trails would likely require new environmental documentation and permitting

9. Everydog

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,177
    They want to sell the water to Otay.

10. Everydog

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,177
    Had a conversation with some 20 year government employee from the Descanso Ranger district this morning about Loveland and these potentially devastating Sweetwater Authority plans. . I am not going to mention his name yet. Polite talker but he started blaming Trump for problems like I am having with the USDA Department of Forestry. Man I let that guy have it. I don't think Trump appointed the Traitors I have been dealing with in the supervisor of the Cleveland National Forest , The West Coast Regional National Forest Supervisor or this punk this morning. It's all politics. They apparently can't do anything right and honorable by the public because of Trump. Man I let him have it. He was speechless. I am not going to get anywhere when the people supposedly helping us are traitors who will only collect their welfare checks and point fingers and work on and their brand. I am not a Trump voter either but this is rotten to the core.

#90 Everydog, Oct 14, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2020
    • Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  11. camobass

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +5,729
    Boat:
    It floats
    Time to think like Rambo

12. Everydog

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,177
    I'm pretty sure they have me on several watch lists already , but thank you anyway.

13. Everydog

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,177
    stelprdb5275753.jpg Nice Photo

14. Everydog

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,177
    My version of Rambo. The CC list is extensive.

Dear Mr. Tangenberg,

I have been attempting to reach out to the Descanso Ranger District as you had stated that the District Ranger , Mr. Heiar might have concerns about the Loveland Fishing program and maybe now the environmental destruction the Sweetwater Authority wishes to bring to the area as proposed in the report they have recently bought from Gillingham Water consultants. I know the USDA has been asleep at the wheel with regards to letting the fishing program be taken steps backwards , but it would be much more serious to stay asleep and neglectful of public awareness and possibly intervention going forward.

Contact the Descanso Ranger District has also been less than fruitless. I did get a call back yesterday. The individual was initially polite and said Mr. Heiar would certainly respond if I emailed him. However this individual went on to begin to blame President Trump and his appointees for failures in the arena of National Forests. As you will understand , given that Mr. Trump has nothing to do with the dishonesty , neglect and lack of public advocacy that I have been dealing with since contacting Ms Cornejo and yourself, this really angered me. Mr Trump did not appoint Ms. Cornejo or you, or Mr. Moore who does not respond to me. Mr. Trump did not appoint the current Chief of Forestry or this public servant I dealt with yesterday. I doubt he appointed Mr. Heiar who is yet to get back to me. Mr. Trump has nothing to do with the fact that my Cleveland National forest and USDA department of Forestry website portal submissions go in the trash.

When will you people step up?

By the way , Loveland Reservoir is still only open three days a week and with what seems like approval from you, the Sweetwater Authority also ignores me. The rest of the public that was advocating is apparently demoralized and has quit participating in board meetings and other advocacy we had going well until you gave the free pass.

Everydog

15. Everydog

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,177
    The wheels of justice turn slowly. As of yesterday, we have a contact from the Descanso Ranger district that is involved . He still sounds way too reluctant and I don't trust that there isn't a plan to for him to shuffle me off.
    t hopefully if that's true it will change. Right now he is talking about renegotiating their agreement with the Sweetwater Authority and the notion obviously screams for the need for oversight. The fishing easement and other documents that I have obtained are very clear about sunset to sunrise fishing, seven days a week, and that should be upheld.

I have been promised a case worker from Juan Vargas' office to help me deal with the Forestry personnel and hopefully that can be expanded to whatever network is needed to deal with this problem. I think it's obvious that government lawyersor the threat of action by them is needed to be to encourage fairness from the Sweetwater Authority. That , of course is not on the radar yet. In the short term the Government should seek injunctions against the Sweetwater Authority locking the gates during easement protected hours and against radically dropping the level of the reservoir. Their covid excuses have already been laid bare. They are trying to take test taking away at least some fishing access permanently. They are quite willing to destroy the current ecological environment including the fish.

16. Everydog

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,177
    Sorry about the editing some functions are not working right. Probably my fault.

17. camobass

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +5,729
    Boat:
    It floats
    If Turko was around, Loveland would be open 24/7.
    Hell if Turko was here, there would be no more corona shutdown period.

great work, that’s a lot of digging you are doing

18. Everydog

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,177
    Thank you, Can't turn back now. We are organizing the story for the press with the hopes someone will help with public awareness. Who knows? There are many good angles. Just using the covid-19 situation to steal the lake all spring and summer is a story. Once it's organized everyone from the smallest blogger to the biggest network will get it. When environmentalist find out about the contents of this Gillingham report I think we will have a lot of allies.

19. camobass

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +5,729
    Boat:
    It floats
    KUSI

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  20. Everydog

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,177

Just sent it to KUSI, if they interviewed that guy who was pointing fingers at Trump in the face of my struggles with his Cleveland National Forest colleagues that would be priceless.

Dear San Diego Journalistic/ Media Professionals,

Thank you, for your time and attention.

Since early spring the Sweetwater Authority has been using the Covid-19 situation as an excuse to steal fishing time from citizens in our communities. That has continued through the this spring and summer, and going forward as well. Initially, I struggled mightily with evasive and disingenuous management and board members to get the lake opened, It was the first lake to close and the last lake to open in San Diego , as much as 3 months behind the first to reopen. Since it finally opened on August 1, 2020, they have continued to maintain a schedule of about 40% of normal operation, still using Covid-19 as an excuse.

The second angle here is that I have reached out to the USDA Department of Forestry, our government partner in the fishing program since this spring. Via a website contact portal, Scott Tangenberg, Cleveland National Forest Supervisor and an aide of his, became my contact points. They initially lied about guidance powers they could potentially use to address this situation and sabotaged my efforts with the board and management at the Sweetwater Authority. I pleaded up and down the chain of command of his organization until I was more or less able to force them to assign me a forest supervisor who from first impressions, still seems like he really doesn’t want to help much . He claims to be about to renegotiate a fishing agreement with the Sweetwater Authority, which obviously screams out for the need for oversight. That’s where the situation stands right now. The Sweetwater is stealing the recreational opportunities on fake coronavirus excuses and our partners in government have been begging to be lame ducks. I have been promised a case worker from Congressman Vargas’ office to help me deal with the Department of Forestry people.

However, the most newsworthy issue, and those others are good and also colorful, if you get the fuller story and picture, is that in my involvement with Sweetwater Authority’s business while advocating around this fishing issue, I discovered a shocking report that the Sweetwater Authority has purchased from a water consultant Gillingham Water Planning and Engineering. That reports outlines aspirations the Sweetwater Authority has for their water resource management goals that would absolutely devastate the fishing program and turn the beautiful wild lake environment in Alpine into a dead canyon and a mudhole.

Please let me know If there is an interest by your organization to spread public awareness on these issues. Please let me know of any need for supporting comments and/or documents. I have extensive email archives and documents from the Sweetwater Authority which I was able to obtain due to the Brown act. I believe these documents and historical precedent with the lake program and the USDA Depart of Forestry’s website prove my argument that the Sweetwater Authority has and is and will continue to be acting in bad faith and is being passively or actively endorsed by the US government. The last I checked, the Gillingham report is posted in the Sweetwater Authority Website as an addendum to a special board meeting agenda. I can provide the link unless it is taken down.
    I have also kept a bloggish type journal about this experience on a thread I created this spring on the website SDfish.com.

Sincerely,