Swimbait Ideas

Discussion in 'Bay fishing' started by Carterantebi, Feb 20, 2017.

1. Carterantebi

Carterantebi Captain of the Cays
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,169
    Name:
    Carter
    Boat:
    Bayliner+Hobie Revo
    Alrighty, so as some of you may know, I've poured a few baits recently, but it's been mostly just paddle tails that have gotten raked and got melted down and made new. However, today I got bored and sculpted a little turbot/sand dab that I thought would be cool on a jig head or on a dropshot rig. The past couple of weeks I've been experimenting in a clear tub full of water with different soft plastics that could imitate a pelagic crab. That got me thinking about pouring different creature baits that look like the various critters that inhabit our bays. That's how I got to making this little flatty. What I'm wondering is while it might have good action, what eats small flatfish? I'm guessing bass and sculpin mainly because they eat everything, but could they also do well for lings? Also, if any of you guys have ever thought of anything you wish was made into a swimbait, let me know. image.jpg

2. gnohs

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +170
    Pretty sure any of the big stuff that hangs out near the bottom of the bays would be happy to feast on a little sanddab or turbot.

I recently saw a guy on Tackle Tour post about how he modified a 4.8" Jackall Rhythm Wave to have a line-through design so he could fish it with a treble hook instead of t-rigged or on a jig head. He did it to help improve his hookup ratio with speckled trout out east (as well as get significantly more fish out of each bait because they have pretty poor durability), and it made me think that might be something that might help out anglers here with hookup ratio on stuff like corvina or halibut that aren't easily hooked by single fixed hooks. Not really sure how he did it on the 4.8" bait, and really not sure how it would be done on even smaller stuff like 3 to 4" but I thought it was interesting.

3. dj thrillz

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +5,903
    Lol I made a small halibut lure. I'll have to dig up the pic

4. dj thrillz

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +5,903
    DSCF0017-1.jpg

My halibut lure(meant for big lings) and some saltshaker worms all in black widow ;)

5. Adamt5150

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +940
    This is awesome, way to go off the beaten path and create your own. Back in the Midwest I've seen largemouth come out of the water and inhale a baby duck. LM feed in the whole water column where spotties tend to feed near the bottom so it will work as for halibut. I wish you the best on your hand poured baits, there's nothing better than catching on something you made yourself

6. natural_one

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,127
    That's killer. Great job experimenting.
    How's the action? I would think the flat kind would spin and tumble as opposed to swimming flat like they naturally do.

7. Carterantebi

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,169
    Name:
    Carter
    Boat:
    Bayliner+Hobie Revo
    Did you ever try it out? Looks pretty cool.

8. Carterantebi

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,169
    Name:
    Carter
    Boat:
    Bayliner+Hobie Revo
    Haven't tested it out yet since I just now made it out of some modeling clay, but making it into a mold and giving it a try with different rigs should be the next step.

9. dj thrillz

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +5,903
    I didn't personally. On another forum, someone asked me if I could make a sand dab lure for big lings to chomp on. I figured halibut are close enough and thought it would be fun to mess with. So I made a silicone mold after using sculpey clay for the master. I then poured 5 or 6 for the person to try, but never heard back from them. I still have the mold ;) I was also in the process of designing a lead head for it, but gave up on it to work on my shad head designs.

10. Carterantebi

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,169
    Name:
    Carter
    Boat:
    Bayliner+Hobie Revo
    He probably liked it so much he kept quiet to make some more and keep the secret lol. I've got the same thing going on, sculpey and silicone molds. By the way, how do you like the silicone in comparison to other materials people have made molds from?

11. Carterantebi

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,169
    Name:
    Carter
    Boat:
    Bayliner+Hobie Revo
    image.jpg As I've been reading some of these comments, I came up with this little red crab imitation since I'm yet to find anything that both looks and swims like them. Another thing to test this week.

12. dj thrillz

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +5,903
    RTV silicone is the cheapest way to get the best details out of your master. Stay away from plaster of Paris. There's only one way to get perfect molds, cad designing and machine cut aluminum molds.
    I designed some stuff on the computer and had 3d prints made for masters, then made silicone molds. Turned out good. Caught fish.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  13. Carterantebi

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,169
    Name:
    Carter
    Boat:
    Bayliner+Hobie Revo
    I tried plaster of Paris but it was on a paddle tail that doesn't have a whole lot of detail. I wish I had the fancy machinery to make perfect aluminum molds, but that's a big price for something that adds small detail to something that's eventually gonna get bit in half by a halibut anyways.

14. Fat Spottie

Fat Spottie Muskie Hunter
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,802
    Boat:
    Broken Yak
    I would keep the antenna as antenna and switch the claws to some thicker curly tails.. maybe have the rear end be able to adapt to a heavy lead as well (2oz) so I can have Calico and Rockfish annihlate it lol

15. dj thrillz

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +5,903
    True, keep in mind I was selling my stuff, not just using it. Ugly baits dont sell. People want perfect. Fish don't care, consumers do.

16. Carterantebi

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,169
    Name:
    Carter
    Boat:
    Bayliner+Hobie Revo
    Who knows, if the stuff I make ends up working well, I might do something small scale;). I agree on the detail thing though, I don't think the fish are thinking, "sh*t dude, watch out for that zoom fluke! The split of the tail is a 46 degree angle instead of 45, that means it's gonna taste bad!"

17. aquaholic

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,462
    Capt Bacon has a sand dab lure that he swears by for all types of fish especially Hali and lings, he stuck one to the glass of the demo tanks and every bass in there nosed up to it and a few kept trying to eat it through the glass. @Roddd was there I believe maybe he remembers the name of it? He said the proper way to rig it was on a leadhead but I imagine ds would make it seem more vulnerable.

18. Carterantebi

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,169
    Name:
    Carter
    Boat:
    Bayliner+Hobie Revo
    Anyone know a good place to buy plastisol and coloring other than online? Squidco maybe? So far I've just been melting down shredded hammers.

19. George Pusey

George Pusey "chowder"
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,609
    Name:
    George
    Boat:
    Livingston 15ft
    Ive been wanting to pour some baits, was thinking of using plain old candybar tails for my masters.

20. dj thrillz

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +5,903
    Pretty much can only get it online. Lurecraft