Swimbait reel help.

Discussion in 'Swimbaits' started by Jswfish, Jan 28, 2017.

1. Jswfish

Jswfish Member

Ratings:
    +1
    New to the site need some advice. I want a left handed low profile reel with a low gear ratio in the 5s. Really wanted a lexa 300 but found out they are discontinued. The only other reel I have found is the kamodo. Has anybody used this reel any pros and cons? Any other suggestions? Or if some has a lexa they are willing to part with. Thank you.

2. Vito1023

Vito1023 Vito
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +5,739
    @Werfless hs b e en recommending those reels and I'm sure he knows about them. He'll see this and will chirp in I'm sure but in case his hawk eyes misses your post ask him.

3. ChrisNorby

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +475
    Boat:
    Hobie Pro Angler
    I know you're saying low profile, but think about a shimano cardiff. I'm using a 301 which i the left hand model. Its not a huge bulky reel, especially once it's been put onto a big old swimbait rod. I really enjoy mine.

That being said, I was on a really low budget and ended up buying mine used, actually from someone on here. Before I was looking at that model reel, the Komodo seemed really cool. I know Kevin Mattson uses them and caught huge Aripima in the amazon on a deps SS and a Komodo.

4. 5-20

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,584
    Tranx 300 -- coming out this march. 5.8 ratio or something like that -- if you can wait.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  5. Werfless

Werfless The Coach ..RIP my friends
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +64,634
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
    Komodos are great reels.. Seem a bit beefy for lmb to me.. Had an old neighbor that fished smokers and sailfish with his.. Told me he beat a 40 lb king mackerel in less than 6 minutes with one... I know they are a favorite for the guys that hunt peacock bass... Great reels, I don't do anything I would need one for. This might change if I decide to get a heavy crankbait reel for throwing the salt pro minnow in saltwater.. XH eight foot rod, straight 50lb braid.. Been thinking about it..

6. Jswfish

Jswfish Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Was just looking at gear speeds for throwing swimbaits. I have limited options cause I need a lefty. I have the 301 cardiff and a 301 curado. I find it more comfortable using curado so I was hoping for something like the curado but with a slower gear ratio. Komodo was the only one I found any 300 size reel would be of interest though. Need to get 100yards of 20 to 25 lb test.

7. Werfless

Werfless The Coach ..RIP my friends
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +64,634
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
    Sounds good to me.. I would have total faith in a reel typically used on peacocks on lmb

8. Paulito

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,597
    What kind of swimbaits you trying to throw? Given that swimbait reels have adequate handles for power, the higher speed reels shouldn't pose a problem. You should be worrying about lpt more if you are trying to throw hudd and bottom baits opposed to glides. Daiwa zillion hd can handle a swimbait less than 200mm. So can the komodo, the 13 fishing a3, etc. You're looking for a 250 or 300 size reel

9. Jswfish

Jswfish Member

Ratings:
    +1
    300 size reel. Just want slower speed to throw hudds mainly. Was under the impression better to use med or slow speed. I have curado 301 so I wanted a slow speed.

10. Rokbury14

Rokbury14 I never have to feel like that again
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,312
    Name:
    Steve
    I bought a komodo on black Friday n a week ago the spool locked up on a cast. Popped open the side plate n the brake system just fell apart wth all the micro parts spread on the bank. Sent off for warrantee work....One month. Hopefully it a one time thing. Just sayn

#10 Rokbury14, Jan 29, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  11. BassinNova

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,693
    Shimano Cardiff, get it used or new doesn't matter. Great budget reel for swimbaits and it's not bulky at all. You can close this post now as resolved o_O

12. Linebig

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +14,550
    Boat:
    Stratos 185XL Pro
    Wait for the Tranx-300! The x-ship and micro module gearing and comfort will put this reel at the top its class. Nothing will be able to even come close. I was able to see it during the testing phase last year. Its amazing.

13. Linebig

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +14,550
    Boat:
    Stratos 185XL Pro
    Here is what ot looks like

IMG_1719.JPG

14. Patch Ellis

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +449
    They have them for pre order on tackle warehouse

image.png

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  15. LilCobra

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +579
    Name:
    Dvilaysane
    Calcutta 400te , and for a low profile reel curado 300e. I threw about every "big" swimbait, to the small 68 hudd on those reels for years with no problems.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  16. Linebig

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +14,550
    Boat:
    Stratos 185XL Pro
    Curado-E 300 has been discontinued. I am sure they still might some of them in stock at the local shops. I own 2 of them and like them very much. Discontinued does not mean its a bad reel its just the 300 Tranx is taking that position in their line up.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  17. LilCobra

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +579
    Name:
    Dvilaysane
    I'm like this, if it's not broken, don't fix it. I would love to have a new reel, to me some of the older stuff is wayyyyyy better than the new stuff that are coming out!!!! IMHO

18. Linebig

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +14,550
    Boat:
    Stratos 185XL Pro
    I used to think that as well.. Over these past few years I have been extremely lucky to fish the latest Shimano gear coming out before they are released. Their new gear is light years ahead of their old gear. I even just sold all three of my Chronarch D series reels that I held very close to me as some of the best reels ever. The new Met MGL's and the new Chroanarch MGL's and new Conquests are far superior to anything they made in years past. The Tranx, it will be no different as I did fish it last year during the testing. They may have let others in the door 4 years ago, or slipped a bit from not taking the USA market serious enough as they dominated it for so many years. However they have a chip on their shoulder now and are slamming that door shut. Here are some of the best reels they make to date. This is just a partial list.

Hagane body and gears Stadic-3000
    New Stradic Ci4 Plus with Hagane gears-all models
    Curado 70- amazing flipping reel
    Calcutta Conquest-300-400
    New Stella with Hanage gears
    Metanium-MGL- HG-XG. there is serious magic in that reel.
    New Chronarch-MGL-HG-XG. amazing reel, the best handle length and smooth casting from the MGL spool, SVS braking with micro adjust wheel and micro gearing under 3 bills. that's the reel I am impressed with as its the every day guys reel. Its a Curado on Steroids, It's like the old Core 100 series with a better overall feel.
    New Tranx-300-400 Micro Module gears, Hanage frame ,extremely low profile and smooth as silk fully corrosion core treated for salt water.

Go check these new reels out you will not be disappointed.