Swimbait Rod

Discussion in 'Fishing Tackle' started by Fat Spottie, May 14, 2019.

1. Fat Spottie

Fat Spottie Evolved Pinhead
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +9,801
    Name:
    None Either
    Boat:
    Hobie PA-14
    Alrighty, so I love my M1 Inshores for swimbaits and softplastics in general but they lack a certain something... a certain oomph when it comes to stuff over 3oz for the most part. So I’m looking for a rod with that little something extra in terms of weight it can handle. Now what I would be using this rod for is for more structure orientated fishing, so I’m pulling fish out around big rocks and maybe some kelp fishing.. Ideally I’m looking at a 8ft stick, and handles weight over 4oz. Looking at something in the range of $150 to $300... hopefully on the lower end of the spectrum.

To help pinpoint what it is exactly, my M1 Inshores are fast action broom handles that do a really good job of just allowing me to get the upper hand on fish trying to dive back around structure. However, the moment I get to a weight of about 2.5oz the rod doesn’t behave the way I want it to. It just has to much weight in the tip and I feel like I loose a bit of the upper hand I gained with a fast action rod. So it’s not really the action I’m concerned about, it’s the weight the rod fishes.

2. William Ritchie

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,744
    Name:
    WjRitchie
    Boat:
    17.5 Western Wide CC
    Which M1 are you using ? The M1 inshore SMX 90 M I use seems to do good with 3 to 4 oz the 6 oz rating is a farce . Casting larger loaded plugs in the surf for stripers it seems to load and launch well but I have to say most of my casting is in that 3 oz weight category , I do really put the screws to it casting though . Usually no people or boat rails or gear to get in the way .

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  3. Fat Spottie

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +9,801
    Name:
    None Either
    Boat:
    Hobie PA-14
    I use the SMX-82M and the SMX-82MH

4. William Ritchie

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,744
    Name:
    WjRitchie
    Boat:
    17.5 Western Wide CC
    They also build the 9 footer in a H blank as well but when handling it, checking it out for my use figured the action for a bit bigger class reel . The trigger seat does have its limitations .They do have both M And H blanks on deck hand type butt as well also a bit bigger fittings on the H . Tight lines !

5. Fat Spottie

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +9,801
    Name:
    None Either
    Boat:
    Hobie PA-14
    I need to correct myself, it’s the 82MH and 82H that I am using. I don’t know how I feel about a 9ft rod... it’s a lot of rod for what I’m doing.

6. William Ritchie

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,744
    Name:
    WjRitchie
    Boat:
    17.5 Western Wide CC
    I will say even though 9 foot very slim and trim Feels like a feather in hand , Just took the reel off . 7.5 oz total weight on a postal scale I have . A bit tough to fit in most cars I will say . Keep at it you find what you like . Your welcome to cast mine if you want .

7. Redjim

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,624
    I love my Sixgill Creature, it's a 7 ft 20-50. Sensitive enough to feel the elusive calico rockfish, and enough backbone to beat on good grade yellows. Let me know if you wanna check it out and I can bring it by the boat.

8. camobass

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,149
    Boat:
    It floats
    I have a badass heavy teramar I will let go. Awesome swimbait rod, its never let me down. Caught 30-40lb halibuts and up to 13lb bass

9. BIG JOAQUIN

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +210
    Fat spottie, by the stats this fits the bill. So cheap u can’t get mad if u don’t end up liking it!

Okuma guide select swim bait rod
    15-40lb
    2-10oz
    7’11”
    $112 delivered in 2 days via ur favorite online vendor

10. Epaleo

Epaleo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +120
    RUC711 H. Swimbait finatic

11. von_smozel

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +716
    Seeker SSR 810 20-40lb swimbait & jig rod..Throwing mine up for sale here in the next few days, Lmk if you wanna check it out and size it up, I'm all around the city/county and available to meet up most mornings until 1pm. Good luck.

12. Bassmann86

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +708
    If you are stuck on phenix look at the USB-790H-C or USB-800H-C. But if you want to try something different looking into a Megabass F10-80XX leviathan. I use that rod in the bay chucking 2oz+ A-rigs all day.