Swimbaits at Barrett, report coming soon

Discussion in 'Barrett Lake' started by Kellen, Apr 15, 2014.

1. Kellen

Kellen Owner
    Staff Member

Ratings:
    +5,855
    We have a couple anglers out at Barrett today, getting a report for you guys with opener reservations in 2.5 weeks.

Check out some of the baits Kevin Mattson got rigged and ready for Barrett

[​IMG]

They also brought along some of the usual Barrett producers; jigs, frogs, buzzbaits, etc..

Any of you thrown the big swimbaits at Barrett before? Mattson might be one of the first, or very first, to throw the Deps SS 250 out there. I'm dying to hear how it worked.

We'll have a report here for you in the coming days.

2. MaskedFisherDUDE

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +721
    I have. But mostly wake baits. 3:16 wake jr. And baby wakes. I did play with some hudds and rising Suns last year for a few followers but no takers. I did get a few fish on little creepers trash fish last year but nothing over 3 pounds.

3. basscatcher1

basscatcher1 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Looking forward to that report!! Curious to see if those swimbaits can attract those Monster Barrett bass!!

4. amsuarez86

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +594
    zthv1t.jpg I got this one on a BBZ during a day last year that was reallllyyy tough.

It was a nice fish, but I threw that thing all damn day. Its hard to do that when your buddy is tearing it up right next you....

5. tmbtc12

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +159
    Boat:
    2012 Triton 19xs
    Looking forward to the report. I might have to bring some big baits out there for opening weekend.

6. Kellen

Kellen Owner
    Staff Member

Ratings:
    +5,855
    I'll have the report published at some point tomorrow. Just waiting on some more of the photos.

Sounds like Kevin didn't have much success with the real big baits. Did get some swimbait fish, but on slightly smaller baits. I posted some photos from the trip in the Barrett Reports forum.

7. Badmiles

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +124
    Those are some sweet Swim Baits! The swimbaits with a single hook coming up out of the top have worked the best for me. I find the baits with the hanging treble hooks are harder to keep on the bottom without picking up debris or getting them stuck in rocks and trees. I prefer a long shank jig head with a Fish Trap/ plastic swim bait or grub/twin tail. White, Chartruese, salt n pepper have been productive colors.. but you have to make sure the action is right! If the bait is spinning, swimming side ways or upside down durring retrieve your less likely to get bit.. Cant wait to get out there!!

8. TheDonNguyen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +96
    these are not your father's swimbaits...

9. Kellen

Kellen Owner
    Staff Member

Ratings:
    +5,855
    Report is up, no love at all for the BIG swimbaits pictured above. But the Mattlures Bluegill, Vagabond Bluegill, and MC Weedless in bluegill pattern all produced.

And, crankbaits, trip jigs, and other more standard bass lures produced numbers.