Tailbone soreness..

Discussion in 'Float Tubing' started by Creek, Jun 8, 2019.

1. Creek

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +8,017
    Am I the only one? So what's happened over the course of the last two years - other than the fact that I'm two years older? I'm now finding out that with age comes soreness.

I float SD and Mission Bay routinely with Capt Woody and a few other close friends. We're usually out for at least three hours, and rarely more than four. Once I've taken off my fins and pitched them into the back free-space of the tube, I stand up. And I purposely stand up in water that is equal to the height of my knees. But what I've been getting each outing is tailbone soreness. It only lasts for a minute or so. Once I stand up and start moving around it goes away.

I suppose what I'm wondering is, since I'm getting older should I be swapping out my FC4-D seat and backrest air bladders for a set of the foam inserts and a good donut? Has anyone else had this issue? If so, what was your remedy or solution? The temporary pain isn't really debilitating (yes, that bizniz does seriously hurt for a moment), but I'm definitely getting tired of the simple act of standing up straight taking 20 seconds instead of 2.

Gracias

2. toolbox

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,286
    I've been tubing for many years and never had that issue until a few years ago. It lasted a few weeks only but that pain was no joke. My Doc thought is was a muscle . It got even worse when I was in the tube.. felt like I was sitting on a sharp rock on a bruised butt. It should go a away? Good luck.. the pain is real!

3. Creek

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +8,017
    Its not muscular for sure.. its structural. Its bone soreness. Wondering if its my posture, or the angle I have the backrest set at, or the kicking motion etc.

I'm gonna try a few different things over the course of the next several outings.. inflation pressures, backrest angles, posture in the seat, etc.

4. toolbox

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,286

5. fisheromen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +18,448
    Boat:
    1986 Glastron
    Probably need to shift your weight around, one side then the other, in the course of a session. That or order some of that water from that fountain that Ponce De Leon found. He did find it, right?

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  6. Creek

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +8,017
    I'll try to be conscious of shifting around to disperse any pressure more evenly. Grateful.

7. captwoody

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,674
    Name:
    Woody
    Boat:
    19ft Kencraft
    Creek next time we go tubing we can switch tubes, then you can see if the foam seat helps. I only had that issue when I under inflated my tube the first time we went out

8. Creek

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +8,017
    Okay. I've been sitting here thinking what my issue might be.. and all I can come up with is over-inflation coupled with a posture issue - even though I think my posture is in-line.

9. fisheromen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +18,448
    Boat:
    1986 Glastron
    Right there is your problem! ;)

10. Creek

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +8,017
    Ya, I guess I sat hard on that one. Shyt

11. Creek

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +8,017
    Went out yesterday with my pal Richard and tooled around Spanish Landing for 3 hours with not much in the way of luck (I had 15 and he took 18).. no idea what was going on with the water, but the tide was backasswards do maybe that was the issue.

Anyway, I had tightened up the back support so sit a little straighter - so more at a true 90 degree angle while kicking. Didn't matter.. still took me 15 seconds or so to actually stand up straight. Next time I'll try under-inflating the seat and back - just a little so as not impeded the width/stability of the tube in the water.

12. Larry M

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +7,638
    Name:
    Larry M
    Creek your just getting old like some of us here. LOL
    When I get up from sitting I'm hunched over when I stand up, I have to arch my back to stretch it out.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  13. Creek

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +8,017
    I know.. I'm just finding it difficult to come to terms with the fact that I cant run, fight, kick, jump and shoot like I used to.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  14. mikecheck1212

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,461
    Happens to me all the time...I have to shift how I’m sitting every once in awhile..I was also thinking about a seat change...

15. Creek

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +8,017
    I guess I'll try swapping platforms with Capt Woody just to see if there's any difference. That and slightly under-inflating my own air bladders just to see whats what.

16. Basshole7700

Basshole7700 Member

Ratings:
    +14
    Sit up straight. Huge difference .

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  17. gnohs

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +314
    Had this issue 12ish years ago any time I sat in the same place more than 10-15 minutes. Lidocaine back patches worked great to relieve the pain/relax my back. They are rather expensive as I recall. I cut them in half and used 1 half every 6-8 hours.

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  18. mistercameron

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +503
    This is the key. Sitting somewhat reclined can put more pressure on your tailbone (even if you don't feel it right away).

19. fisheromen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +18,448
    Boat:
    1986 Glastron
    Listen to your mother! Or 3rd grade teacher!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  20. Creek

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +8,017
    I sit straighter than anyone I know.. so much so that I think the tube lurches forward just a bit, pushing the air bladder points into the water.

I decreased the amount of air in the bottom bladder (seat) the last few outings. Still felt the soreness upon standing upright, but it hasnt been as bad - whatever that means to you. Still sore, but got over it in a few seconds as opposed to staying bent over for 20 seconds or more.