Taking a beginner, what's the shore/dock situation like?

Discussion in 'Barrett Reports' started by gnohs, Sep 20, 2020.

1. gnohs

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +334
    Got my gf into fishing recently and she's been skunked every time in the bay from shore so far including on days I've done pretty well. I'm glad she still seems to really enjoy just being out there but I want to get her on some fish before she loses interest and bluegill at Barrett is about as close to a sure thing as there is in fishing. And honestly has brought me hundreds of hours of entertainment too over the years when the bass slow down in the middle of the afternoon.

Just curious how slammed the dock is most days and how much fishable shore line there is? Going regardless but want to get an idea of what to expect since I've never been shorebound there.

Also, I assume the gate is open all day and it's fine to just roll in around noon? I don't want to make it an all day affair for her and I've never seen the bluegill be anything but wide open from open to close.

2. Werfless

Werfless The Coach ..RIP my friends
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +51,484
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
    Those dock crappie are awesome.. that said, bring her out to fish with me in the salt sometime. I can get her on a few more likely than not...

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  3. dmorgan3

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,247
    A few years ago I was coming back from fishing all day and threw some leftover bread from a sandwich in the water between the dock house and shore and it was like a piranha feeding frenzy. Of course, chumming is illegal but it was fun to see fish (bluegill and crappie) come from nowhere to get the bread. Don't know if they still do that now that boats are not being rented though.

Small pieces of Berkeley Gulp (sand worm pieces, about 2" long) drive the bluegill nuts. Technically not legal since it is scented but I don't know if anyone would care. 2" pieces of a 4" slim Senko also work, I always rig on a drop shot (I fish from a tube now) but might work on a bobber too. Use a small hook, #8 baitholder wacky rigged about right, bring a good hook remover. I was there a few weeks ago, with a bobber sections of the shoreline would be fishable, a lot of brush in some areas. With a dropshot, probably a lot of snags.

4. dmorgan3

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,247
    A few years ago I was coming back from fishing all day and threw some leftover bread from a sandwich in the water between the dock house and shore and it was like a piranha feeding frenzy. Of course, chumming is illegal but it was fun to see fish (bluegill and crappie) come from nowhere to get the bread. Don't know if they still do that now that boats are not being rented though.

Small pieces of Berkley Gulp (sand worm pieces, about 2" long) drive the bluegill nuts. Technically not legal since it is scented but I don't know if anyone would care. 2" pieces of a 4" slim Senko also work, I always rig on a drop shot (I fish from a tube now) but might work on a bobber too. Use a small hook, #8 baitholder wacky rigged about right, bring a good hook remover. I was there a few weeks ago, with a bobber sections of the shoreline would be fishable, a lot of brush and moss in some areas. With a dropshot, probably a lot of snags.

5. dmorgan3

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,247

Small pieces of Berkley Gulp (sand worm pieces, about 2" long) drive the bluegill nuts. Technically not legal since it is scented but I don't know if anyone would care. 2" pieces of a 4" slim Senko also work, I always rig on a drop shot (I fish from a tube now) but might work on a bobber too. Use a small hook, #8 baitholder wacky rigged about right, bring a good hook remover. I was there a few weeks ago, with a bobber sections of the shoreline would be fishable, a lot of brush and moss in some areas. With a dropshot, probably a lot of snags.

6. Rob Fletcher

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +358
    Boat:
    Hobie Revo 13
    I rolled in there Saturday about 2pm to fish the afternoon and gate was open. Lori came down and checked me in at Pigs Point when I got there (I had a reso, but there was plenty of space to pay for the spot for the day).

7. gnohs

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +334
    Trip ended up going great. Lots of friendly people on the dock. Took her about 2 minutes to get the stripe off her back. Didn't count but had a ton of quality gills between us.

She got bored and asked me to set up her bay rod for something she could cast instead of jigging vertical for gills. As I rigged up the swimbait on her rod I told her she should cast along the grass at shore and not into open water since we hadn't seen a fish break out there for hours. After it was rigged, I made a couple casts into open water just to get the line wet to make it easier for her to use and stuck a real chunky probably 2.5lber on the 2nd cast. Shows what I know about fishing...obviously they're out there just a few feet down right? I give her the rod after the fish then rig up a swimbait of my own and we proceed to cast for over an hour for 0 more hits. Guess I was right after all and he was the only one lost out in the middle of the lake.

Fun day. Really hoping we get access to the boats back next season though.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List