That's swell Gavin....

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by mcfish, Sep 19, 2021.

1. mcfish

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +11,938
    Boat:
    fisher marine18
    Screenshot_20210918-203101_Facebook.jpg I bet you can't wait to have a 4 unit condo built next to your single family home! I lived in Pacific Beach back when it was mostly single family homes..then they rezoned it to 4 condos per lot, instantly turned a quiet beach town into a cesspool! Gavin doesn't give a rats azz about your neighborhood, just wants to built cheap housing for his unemployed camping friends!!!!

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 2
    • List
  2. VinnyBass

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +21,300
    So mcfish...if I knock down my rental and make 4 condos on the property, I can make tons of money and buy even more stuff from Tackle Warehouse?

Just kidding!!!!!!!!
    This thing sucks and neighborhoods will be overrun with lots more people and definitely a lack of parking that will affect neighbors tremendously. I live a few miles from SDSU and so far my area has been good and quiet since I moved here in 1985. Dang it! I may not agree with you at times on the color of your Roboworms you use, but do agree with you mcfish on this issue. Terrible!!

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • List
  3. Chriwilson

Chriwilson I'm your Huckleberry ...
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +6,995
    Boat:
    Nunya
    This won’t directly affect me, however I see this potentially taking a tremendous toll on legacy communities.

On one hand this creates a ton of opportunities for smaller scale developers and their contractors and subs. This will come at a cost which will deteriorate the neighborhoods and potentially strain their resources and infrastructure.

If you thought public schools are overcrowded now...

In all fairness, I don’t see a scenario where this wouldn’t have passed; whether it be Newsom, Elder, or Faulconer

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • List
  4. salt water guy

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,255
    Boat:
    Montauk
    So what's to be done so there's more "affordable housing" in CA? Genuinely interested...

5. plako

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,349
    The whole concept for "affordable housing" is utterly wrong - why should the whole world move to live here? This is a big state, but still the resources are limited.
    Who determine what is "affordable housing" and why any government should do anything about such artificial definition? If foreign non-residents (mostly rich Chinese communists) are banned to own real estate as investment, if government stop subsidizing certain rental units, if the army of non-productive leaches on government support (about 1/3 of that population in the whole USA lives here) and if illegals are cut off from any social benefits there will we so many vacated units that rents will drop by more than 50%. True market economy will balance nicely demand and supply without any interference by anyone with political power. But then, hm who will vote for those politicians, where their power will go?
    Once upon a time I loved "California Dreaming" by The Mamas and The Papas. Now I still love it but it makes me sad. It was not wrong to dream and to come to California. It was wrong to make it affordable for people who have nothing to offer in return for the privilege to live here.

6. Fins in the Bin

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,364
    Name:
    Greg
    Boat:
    Great idea to generate money!
    It screws the neighborhood family environment but developers can buy up all the knock off houses and put the 4 plexes on them. Then we then can add more parking meters, cuz there's no way your going to waste that precious small lot on garages or driveways.
    This type of crap is the thing that made me wake up and stop voting Democrat years ago. That party always told me they were for the working man but when I started to pay attention, I started figuring out they were way better at marketing than stupid Republicans.
    If you want more affordable housing stop charging $20 K for a permit so developers will spend their money developing CA again.

7. Chriwilson

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +6,995
    Boat:
    Nunya
    My take: the benefit towards "affordable housing" will be marginal to San Diego but will positively effect the County East of the 805 and perhaps Mira Mesa.

Affordable yet population dense neighborhoods near the coast are going to become hyper-gentrified.

Think of all the duplex and quads that can go in areas between Clairemont, Mission Hills, Logan, National City, Chula Vista, etc.

8. Everydog

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,920
    There was some talk about a new paradigm shift on land use in remote places. It was something about going from an available services to Vehicle miles traveled. So, obviously I don't have a lot to add except to say I wonder about the impact that you mention east of the 805. Santee, El Cajon, Spring Valley could change a lot with justification that they are connected to public transportation. Maybe further out not so much , Alpine is growing.
    The 2020 plan cut into development further to the east. Building out too far seems contrary to less car use, agenda.

No matter how you slice it this is a big shift for housing. I am happy if it makes some poorish people relatively wealthy. I have a friend in National City with a big lot, would love to see his financial situation take off.

I would have a lot of sympathy for the people. nice old single family neighborhoods who don't want it , maybe have a lot that doesn't work for it , while their neighbors, or developers pack in little units all around them. maybe some of you recall the Huffman sixpacks, and eightpacks and what not that were shoved into northpark , city heights and , normal heights? Kind of reminiscent.
    It's still extremely expensive to do any building. Building is loaded with pitfalls and the building departments and utilities will always be counted on to make that true. A lot of people are going to start things and get killed. That in itself could keep a lid on things. It's going to be interesting. Over time , it looks like this density will prevail unless legal proceedings somehow stop it.

9. mcfish

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +11,938
    Boat:
    fisher marine18
    The bottom line, San Diego is rapidly on it's way to over-population! I listened to a local politician talk about how he got some affordable housing built to get the homeless off the street..the homes are selling for $650,000. I'm sure alot of homeless will be buying those! 99% of the homeless are that way because they want to be..they're not going to get jobs and buy a house! The Politicians only goal is to make their donors happy (the deveopers), and to make it look like they're helping the homeless and illegals! They could care less if you spend 3 hours on the freeway at rush hour..you didnt donate to them! Actually, there's hope..they're going to tax you per every mile you drive, so you won't be able to afford to drive...then you'll be stuck on trolleys, buses, and trains..the liberal agenda at it's worse! Keep voting the way you have been and we'll see you on the buses in no time! I'm sure you won't catch too many diseases..avoid the back seats! If you want to see the future of San Diego, check out the hundreds of trashy motor homes parked on the frontage roads and parking lots around Mission Bay in the mornings! Your Mayor, Toad Glorius seems to have no problem with the dregs of society taking over America's once Finest City! Good luck with your 4 new next door neighbors!

10. Chriwilson

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +6,995
    Boat:
    Nunya
    The homeless in San Diego or any other weather friendly city is a systemic problem which will only intensify as they continue to flow in from other cities and states. One of the complexities is that you can't legally stop them from migrating to be homeless, here. It's neither a partisan issue nor solution, as Faulconer didn't do much, if anything to alleviate the situation during his tenure. He was moderately successful with dispersal, but not removal or relocation.

As mcfish alludes; if a great number of them are where they want to be, it will be very difficult to jettison them. You will find them on the same bat channel, next week.

Bills like this come with soooooooo much monetary gain, there's enough to go around for all politicians...

Pay per mile will be the suck, especially on top of the gas tax. But, you're assuming the state will get its act together and get this implemented before 2030. Plenty of time for clever people to assess how Utahnians and Oregonions bypass this, if you catch my drift...

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  11. hookemdano

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +21,126
    Boat:
    1997 Trophy 2352
    wait wut ?

I thought CA didnt have enough water? enough electricity? so build 4 units instead of 1 ? ok...liberal logic at work

affordable housing is in el centro or winterhaven or

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  12. mcfish

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +11,938
    Boat:
    fisher marine18
    I think something can be done, but it will hurt their little feelings. How's about we start enforcing the laws that the whiny liberals got rid of! When did become legal to camp in parking lots at the bay?? Why is it ok to set up a tent on 8th street and throw your crap all over the sidewalk??? Who made it legal to camp along a freeway??? Why is it ok to live under bridges and use them as your personal outhouse?? We need to stop letting these scumbags ruin our cities. Why should we let these homeless terrorists keep us from fishing the S.D. river or even walking down certain streets downtown. California has thrown away hundreds of billions of dollars on non-profits who supposedly are going to help the homeless..we've only made the CEOs of these non-profits millionaires! Wake up voters, stop letting the liberal morons continue to let the slime of society ruin our city! If you feel sorry for the majority of the homeless, you obviously haven't spent time downtown conversing with them! They don't want jobs, they want to continue doing their drugs and alcohol, and if they want housing, they want it free! Don't believe the Media crap that these people are just down on their luck! I only feel sorry for our homeless vets that have been deserted by our Government!

13. Chriwilson

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +6,995
    Boat:
    Nunya
    "As long as there is no option of sleeping indoors, the government cannot criminalize indigent, homeless people for sleeping outdoors, on public property, on the false premise they had a choice in the matter”
    - 9th Circuit Court of Appeals ruling which SCOTUS will not review

Someone on here is much more suited to answer the lack of enforcement questions.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  14. bassgalrascal

Staff Member SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,559
    Not a rich people's problem. You'll never see homeless people camped out in or near the "elite" people's neighborhoods and stretches of city. Plenty of law enforcement to go around for them.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • List
  15. Daddo

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,465
    Curious to see what happens when the trolly finishes out to La Jolla and people come out in the morning to homeless sleeping on their porch.

#15 Daddo, Sep 21, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2021
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  16. Everydog

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,920
    We will see exactly what bassgalrascal is referring to. They will be yanked off the trolley in Clairmont and the cops will give them a ride to El Cajon and drop them off in a park.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  17. Chriwilson

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +6,995
    Boat:
    Nunya
    Not so much is it MORE LEOs, rather the priorities are assessed differently in those areas

La Jolla is a pretty good clip away from the Trolley. This will adversely affect UTC for sure.

UTC has always been opportunistic for crime, which prompted me to move many, many moons ago. You can imagine it will get exponentially worse considering it's also a terminal trolley stop.

#17 Chriwilson, Sep 21, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2021
  18. mcfish

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +11,938
    Boat:
    fisher marine18
    Exactly what I thought 2 years ago when I heard they were running the trolley to La Jolla! I can't wait to see them rummaging through the trash cans at La Jolla farms or Soledad! You think the people that own 40 million dollar homes on La Jolla shores will be happy to see them sleeping on their patios???

19. Chriwilson

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +6,995
    Boat:
    Nunya
    Try fishing them out of your beachfront jacuzzi in the early mornings; it already happens.
    Now it will be a party of them...

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  20. mcfish

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +11,938
    Boat:
    fisher marine18
    Lots of Police downtown, the homeless still have taken over 7th + 8th with their tent cities! Love watching bums taking a dump on the sidewalk on the way to Padre games! Padres...talk about somebody taking a dump!!!

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List