The Del jetties 10/26 A.M.

Discussion in 'Surf, Piers, & Jetties' started by CBASS, Oct 27, 2008.

1. CBASS

CBASS New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Tried surf fishing for the first time in 15 years with the kids early Sun. morning and thought that high tide would bring the fish in close... but I didn't count on 4-5' sets (waves) and left after about 10 minutes due to not being able to get it past the breakers and tough currents. Threw the kids in the car and headed to I.B. pier and hooked up to a few jack-smelt and a few macks to let the kids bring in. What a rookie... but I'm not giving up yet. That spot looked prime but I think I'll give it a shot on low tide and on a flat surf.
    I was launching out one heavy rod with 3 oz. weight, frozen anchovies (whole), on 20 lb. test.... and lite action Carolina rigged 2" grub on the other rod to start off with. I had shrimp, muscles, small swim baits, spoons, and small irons waiting but like I said, the surf was too big. Any tips would be much appreciated... thanks guys and fish on!!!

2. bassmasterflash

bassmasterflash Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +6
    Boat:
    kau lana 2
    good report at least you gave it a try and you didnt get skunked plus kids had a blast. Should have gone with you on sunday because hodges was painfully slow, had only 1 bite a dink. We can do torrey pines also next time and boca rios. fish on!

3. atfish

atfish Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2
    what kind of structure were you fishing?

4. CBASS

CBASS New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    "what kind of structure were you fishing?"

I was close to the jetties in front of Hotel Del Coronado. About a hundred years ago they had a fishing pier and boat docks and other structure in that area... so I figured that fish might be lurking under old pieces of structure if any still exists. At one time their was a huge salt-water swimming pool that was fed by the ocean located in that area, that was abandon by the hotel.... but of course I'm sure that most of it was removed and what was left swallowed by the sand since that was about 70 years ago. I would like to swim around out there with some goggles on to see what's out there. I might try again this weekend depending on the surf or in front of the Cays. I always see guys surf fishing out there. Good luck buddy and hope this helped... fish on!

5. ol dirty basser

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +40
    The old dock structure is a bit south of the jetty area and the Del. There are signs and things warning swimmers to avoid it. As for the area you fished, It's where I learned to fish for surfperch. It can be very good, but yes you have to watch the surf reports. On a 1-2' day with a morning high tide it can be WFO.

6. coronadojeff

coronadojeff Active Member

Ratings:
    +0
    there is also ship wreck about 150 yards off the beach it might be mostly covered now but a few years ago at real low tide it would stick out of the water. old gambling ship that caught fire and sunk about 100 years ago. the pilings for the pier are still there but if you look at old pictures the pier ended about where the water meets the sand. back then the water came almost all the way up to the del. its been filled in. but with any beach with surf the bottom changes every day with tides so you never know