The float tube game

Discussion in 'Bass' started by Legerdary, Feb 25, 2020.

1. Legerdary

Legerdary Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +104
    Hey guys,
    Newbie with the float tube here but really excited to give it a go. I have plenty of fishing experience and gear, just new to tubing. Have no where to put a kayak or boat. Anyone have any tips on success In those things? What lakes and bay areas allow float tubes? Also if anyone wants to go out and do some tubin, I’m totally down! Btw I bought a Cumberland off Amazon and it looks pretty legit. Anything helps!
    Thank you

2. BUDDHA_

BUDDHA_ DreamEpic
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +557
    Name:
    DreamEpic
    Not sponsored...haha, but check out float tube fanatics if you're thinking of rigging up your float tube. Lakes that you can tube around San Diego are El Cap, San V, Otay, Hodges, Murray, Miramar, Cuyamaca, and Sutherland. You can also tube the SD River as well.

If I missed a spot, the awesome people here on SDfish will chime in.

Have fun!

3. bendopolo

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +237
    San Diego, Mission Bays also, be sure to study the tides and use them to your advantage. There are tons of water around the lower Colorado River too. Most everywhere they allow Kayaks they allow tubes. If you don’t know, call and ask. Get some upgraded fins and I started wearing a pair of swim trunks over my waders so the seat doesn’t wear out the bottom oi your waders.

4. NibbleSquad

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +707
    Sd river is where it’s at. Got this one today. Hit me up if you ever want to go

FD60644A-81BC-4C51-B3E9-EA90D98B740A.jpeg

5. carpkiller

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,037
    Terrific fish. Deadsexy spreader bar, too.

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  6. mikecheck1212

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +5,007
    most lakes allow float tubes with a few exeptions...you can make a rod holder pretty easily from pvc which i recommend if you have more than one rod...the salt water is always an option and you can go pretty much everywhere...obviously you want to be safe and check out the rules and regulations (vest, whistles etc)....i always recommend to new tubers two things...get a net...and a dry bag...both can be found at walmart for cheap..and both come in handy..especially the net..

7. Dat_fisherman

Dat_fisherman Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +72
    Name:
    Luke Winczowski
    try Coronado cays

• Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • List
  8. Legerdary

Ratings:
    +104
    what’s Coronado cays

9. fisheromen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +20,530
    Boat:
    1986 Glastron
    Stay off the water on super windy days. Either that or have a plan B when you get blown across the lake.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  10. mikecheck1212

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +5,007
    That place sucks and there are great white sharks there that will bite your legs off..I seen them!

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  11. NibbleSquad

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +707
    Thanks just upgraded from a duct tape covered stick

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • List
  12. Legerdary

Ratings:
    +104

I’m going to try and rig and anchoring system

13. mikecheck1212

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +5,007
    In my experience anchoring systems on tubes are more trouble than help..more weight to carry around...and dropping and pulling it up two minutes later all day long is not a good time..now if you plan on spending time in one spot for a while it may be useful..I think the problem with the wind is more when you’re trying to get to a spot...if you launch your tube and have to kick 100 yards in high winds to get to where the fish are it won’t be fun...if you were to get an anchor system I’d look for one of those ones that’s just empty mesh bags you fill with rocks when you get to the lake

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  14. fisheromen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +20,530
    Boat:
    1986 Glastron
    My first time out was on Otay, during a rain storm. Blew me into the tullies and it was a pain getting out. It was a tube tourney and some of the guys got out and walked back, carrying their tubes.

15. mikecheck1212

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +5,007
    Worse thing about the wind..the double leg cramp..

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • List
  16. Kesepton

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +535
    In a float tube, you really shouldnt be getting out too far into open water. Tubes tend to be like sails on the water and it can be hard to get back to your location if you arent careful.

Easiest thing thing is just a long rope with a carabiner and tie off on something floating. Like at Lake Hodges for example, there are some floating docks, or you can just kick to something like a tree and just tie up real quick if need be.

But if you do decide to go, what I used to do when kayaking was use drift socks. They are like an underwater parachute that will create drag to help you move more with the water than the wind. No weight really and very useful when anchors are not appropriate or in high wind.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  17. Slientbuddah

Slientbuddah Member

Ratings:
    +10
    1st although a bit pricey i would recommend you get a pair of force fins. 2nd do not drink to much water. I have personally lost many pairs of waders due to bathroom issues.

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  18. carpkiller

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,037
    Legerdary, when I started tubing in freshwater the whole waders/boots/step-in fins thing was a pain. It worked, but not great. Straps would occasionally come loose...and stockingfoot waders jammed into oversize wading boots always felt sloppy. As a result, I was forever checking to see if the straps were loosening up or what.

Later tried the tube in the bays when the water warmed up in the summer. Barefoot, old boogie fins, swimtrunks....easy beach launches. Dead simple and no hassles with waderwhizzing.
    So even if you're not really a saltwater guy, you might give it a shot in the summertime.

And yeah...I bought Force Fins and they are more than "a bit pricey." $219...more than all the rest of my tube gear and tackle combined. That's more then my first wife cost, including shipping from Vladivostock. But they work very well, are very comfortable, and the adjustable straps mean they can be worn over wading boots, dive booties, or stockingfoot waders.

One pair to rule them all....

#18 carpkiller, Feb 28, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2020
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  19. carpkiller

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,037
    It wasn't a shark. And that wasn't my leg. But healed up nicely, thanks for asking.

20. JustBass

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +340
    What they said, stay out of wind and make sure you have fins tether. How do I know? I was stupid once, went out when it was windy. I told myself I just gonna stay close to shore, 10-15 mins past and I was way too far. I kicked as hard as I can to get back with Stock Fins (same Cumberland kit) one of the Fin came loose and sink down to bottoms of the lake.
    Now I have ForceFins with DIY tether.
    89367334-D3A5-4C0B-ACD8-90275EB79CF3.jpeg