The Furbag Fun Continues..

Discussion in 'Float Tubing' started by Creek, Aug 28, 2019.

1. Creek

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +8,558
    Had the day off today so where better to go than Shelter Island? Right. Showed up at 645 and made my way to the water. Noticed a few things right off the bat.. First, there was some slight wind coming from the west. Two, the tide was inbound, and you could literally see the current sweeping along and in front of the beach by using all the crap in the water as your guide.. foam, dead eel grass spikes and tons of kelp clumps - some that were easily a dozen feet across. And three, my dirtbag fur bag friend was lazily cruising the shallows rolling over and over on his side - kinda like saying, Hey friend, come on in and catch me a treat or two? POS. I hate sea lions.

2.JPG

Got in and started backing up into 72 degrees of nice, not-so-clear Pacific Ocean water. In fact, the clarity was downright meager. I'm guessing clarity was to no more than 3' near the sand and no idea what it was farther out.

Morning.JPG

Got two Spots before I even got close to being "ready" to fish. But I took it as a good sign and started my kick into both the wind and the hard push of the current from the inbound tide. You ever try that? Kicking into a wind and a strong current from a strong upper half tide? I really gotta rethink my bright ideas. Of all places.. Shelter Island.. with an inbound tide, heavy sweeping current and a fair wind at my back. Took me almost a full hour just to move six boats up the chain to the west. Of course, part of the issue was catching fish. When I hookup, I stop. In a heavy current, stopping is bad. And I'm stupid. I figure for every ten feet I traveled, I'd lose that much with stopping to unhook the fish. My legs feel like Jello as I write this tasty little memoir.

Spot.JPG

Dirtbag sea lions.. I'm getting sick of this stuff. He rolls around me, under me, over me, wherever he wants. I'm sticking my rod in the water, slapping and stabbing the green darkness in hopes that one of these times I actually poke him. He didn't hassle me that bad today - not like he did last week - but come on.

4.JPG

Ran into a guy pulling hardware from his kayak. Nice enough fellow. Was telling me how his buddy is a float tuber, and how he refuses to risk it all by getting caught in that strong Shelter Island current. Cant blame him at all.. so I told him how I get by with it. Stay close to the beach in case there's trouble - you can always kick through the current to the sand instead of staying right in the middle of it and trying to kick into it. The fish are always moving and there's a ton of area to cover within the moored boats and beach, so you really dont have to travel much at all. I love it there, current or no current. Told him I'd add a photo of him on here, so I hope he's reading this.. not sure if he's a member or not.

9.JPG

SI is always good for a line-ripper or two.. and that's exactly what I got again today. But this time I'm sure it was a bigger Halibut. Pulled me into the last half of my hard line, then just sat and hugged the bottom near the 15' mark. I'd pull up on him and feel his head bounce up and down. Played this game for maybe ten minutes, but he's not budging except for the pull backs he gives me for pulling on him. Another problem develops when a huge flat of kelp comes drifting through and hangs itself up in my fly line. So now I have all of this extra weight pulling my line eastbound with the heavy current, and a stalled fish that aint budging pointed west. And I cant get the kelp off my line no matter what I do. This is so stupid. So I pulled myself up alongside the line, grab it with my hand and pull up on it slightly. And the fish takes off for a second.. and so does my line with this heavy bunch of kelp hanging onto it.. and I do what I do and pull back on the line with the rod tip pointed underwater, and it breaks off. Typical. And again it takes both of my flies, both strands of fluorocarbon, my Fireline and the tippet ring.

3.JPG

Breaking the monotony and taking my mind away from it temporarily was one of the coolest Naval vessels I've ever seen. I guess they're making them now in a tri-hull kind of format? I'll bet this thing hauls the mail when it has to. Very impressive to know that my tax dollars are responsible fro creating something so awesome looking. That's our continued freedom right there.

5.JPG

And I've had enough today. Tired of fighting the current, tired of trying to fight bigger fish on a 5wt rod (ya, I was that stupid to bring along a 5wt today.. not a 6, or 7.. a 5wt.. for Shelter Island on a good incoming tide with a strong current.. so stupid), and tired of losing those bigger fish to what.. my stupidity I guess.

Anyway, it was a short morning - I was only in the water for an hour and fifteen minutes because I was just getting killed physically. But still, took 12 Spotties and that massive whatever it was (I say Halibut this time and so does Rick at the shop). Still fun and looking forward to Friday when I get to fish with about five other guys from all over Southern California. Two of them will be making the pilgrimage down from OC to slay a few with Richard Cullip, Capt Woody and myself somewhere in the greater SD Bay area. Cant wait to write that one up.

2. carpkiller

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,668
    Was there in the early spring. Current didn't seem that bad and water fairly clear...but when I stopped to re rig or whatever, got shoved two boats down the line before the next cast. Maybe if I'd been hooking up it woulda been worth the work....

Littoral combat ship. There are single- and trimaran hulls, but I think the latter are the ones being homeported here.

#2 carpkiller, Aug 28, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2019
  3. Chriwilson

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,300
    Cool and robust report as always

USS Charleston

Littoral Combat Ship,
    Independence Class

4. CrazyDonkey

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,610
    As said, it's an LCS and it is another huge waste of money.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  5. salt water guy

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,561
    Boat:
    Montauk
    Problems galore... Maybe they've ironed 'em out now. Cool looking though... Love to go on their sea trials.

6. old_rookie

Staff Member SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +5,395
    Fun report to read.

7. carpkiller

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,668
    Absolutely. Because building ships that cost far less to build and have the versatility to do jobs previously requiring multiple ships makes no sense at all. ;-)

Just like those stupid Osprey aircraft. They'll never work out all the bugs; the military equivalent of the Edsel.

Wait, what?

Never mind.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  8. Chriwilson

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,300
    I do keep close tabs on the sky while I drive Miramar Rd...

j/s

9. CrazyDonkey

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,610
    while I haven't been on and LCS myself because my program is not on that ship...I know plenty of sailors that hate that and the public reports on it are enough. They've already started a bid for a bew class to replace it, aka we are brining fast frigates back.

10. fisheromen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +19,013
    Boat:
    1986 Glastron
    Again, sounds like typical Bat Ray antics, but you can call it a Halibut if you want to torture yourself! :)

I had a fish pull so hard yesterday at the lake that it purt near gave me thumb burn. Promptly broke me off! I'm calling it a Giant Bass even though I'm almost sure it was a Catfish! Catfish eat Spinnerbaits, right?

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  11. Werfless

Werfless The Coach
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +40,480
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
    One of the best lures for ole man whiskers.... Lol

12. Creek

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +8,558
    Damm ! I'm guessing I'd better tone down my reports. (?)

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List