The Great Bonito Hunt 2019

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing' started by seacitizen, Aug 12, 2019.

1. seacitizen

seacitizen Active Member

Ratings:
    +87
    Bonito (and other other less accessible pelagics) are my favorite fish to hunt on the fly. I like things that I have to get on the reel. Bass are fun too, but’s there’s nothing like hearing the drag scream on a good run.

I’m think I’m gonna use this thread to discuss tactics and see who wants to go fishing. Bonito are the target, but I’m always up for whatever the hot bite is. I’m game for splitting a Seaforth skiff or putting in some gas and bait money if you have a boat. I also have a float tube now if anyone wants to show me the ropes on one of those (I don’t have any experience in the tube). Let’s talk bonito!

2. Werfless

Werfless The Coach
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +38,778
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
    Could be around the corner.. FT and TB both agree..

Screenshot_20190812-143800.png

Screenshot_20190812-143825.png

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  3. OPERATOR SPECTRE

OPERATOR SPECTRE Small stingrays make great frisbees
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,405
    Can't wait for that time of year. Hopefully this year will be good.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  4. F1$H

F1$H Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +160
    Boat:
    Hobie Revo 13
    Glorietta bay, wait and cast at boiling bait... hold on

5. CON KSO

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,152
    Just bought my outboard today... slowly but surely on getting my skiff finished... might just be ready for September/October... bonito are super fun on the fly!

6. Chriwilson

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,066
    I bet they are...

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  7. seacitizen

seacitizen Active Member

Ratings:
    +87
    that's an interesting tactic, are they real tide dependent in the bays?

8. seacitizen

seacitizen Active Member

Ratings:
    +87
    You sound a bit bitter...is there story you would like to share with the class?

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  9. seacitizen

seacitizen Active Member

Ratings:
    +87
    ...well if you ever need some gas money and an excuse to go out...

10. Chriwilson

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,066
    I am a naturally bitter person, but I have been working on that over the years; but that’s another thread altogether...

I’m sorry you misunderstood my comment.

I was simply reinforcing your statement that I bet Bonitos are fun to catch on the fly, just as I bet Dorados are fun to catch on the fly as well...

11. seacitizen

seacitizen Active Member

Ratings:
    +87
    Dorado are loads of fun, especially the small ones on floating lines because they jump a lot...o wait...I mean...yea...I bet they’re fun too...sorry

12. CON KSO

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,152
    Heck yeah - both are really fun - especially on a popper.

13. seacitizen

seacitizen Active Member

Ratings:
    +87
    what popper do you like to work with? ive always bought the pre made foam bodies and tied and then painted them, but they get pricey....

14. CON KSO

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,152
    The last time I went (this July) down to So. Baja I bought two blue and white poppers off of Big Y fly company - they had a bit of a flashy tail and a 2/0 hook. I wasn't going to use them but the pangero saw them in my box and told me to tie on one... it was super fun. When the dorado get all frenzied, they hit anything that smack onto the water - I didn't even take time to strip, I'd just cast and whip the rod back and forth - they liked the fly to be moving FAST. I also caught pargo amarillo on it - if your boat guy get's them all crazy by tossing sardines, they'll blast poppers.

15. mistercameron

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +503
    What size rods are we talking here? Dorado can get pretty big, and bonito are rocket ships.

16. CON KSO

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,152
    Here's a good story for you regarding rod size. We were catching small to medium sized dorado (5 to 15lbs) in July, in Baja. I leave gear down there and had thought that I had a 10wt and a 9wt down there. These were Echo Ion XL rods - good, strong, pretty much bread-and-butter boat rods. Nothing flashy. So I was fishing the 10wt and my brother was fishing the "9wt". Both rods handled the dorado we were catching no problem.

What got exciting is when he got nailed by a 30lb jack crevalle.... those are very strong fish! The fish took off - no stopping it - and was peeling line down to the backing and well into it. Luckily I leave giant sized (11-12) Behemoth reels down there - I buy them cheap, used from guys who are upgrading and often get them with backing and sometimes line (and this last time an extra spool - both with Rio Outbound Short on them!) for around $100. Well whoever had this last reel did a good job loading the backing because there was a lot of it and the fish wanted it.

It took him 35 minutes to get the fish along side where the pangero tailed it. We got our photos and when I was checking out his/my rod I noticed that the rod wasn't a 9wt... it was a 7wt! So while not ideal, you can land some good sized fish on lighter tackle... as long as you have a lot of backing and some time. Also - he was chucking a 9wt line all day with that 7wt and he said it casted beautifully. That Echo was seriously tweaked by that rod and it didn't break - so I'm pretty happy with my "boat rods". It's not like you have to make a beautiful cast or anything when the dorado are boiling all around the boat.

I would say though, I'd go with a 10wt rod - I"m heading out to Mag Bay offshore and inshore in October and I'm looking for something in the 11 - 12 wt zone for bigger fish off Thetis Bank.

17. seacitizen

seacitizen Active Member

Ratings:
    +87

That’s true, if you can get them to frenzy you can throw just about anything at them and as long as it moves fast enough they’ll hit it. I was thinking about throwing some small black and white Crease flies this weekend in glorietta bay, of course no bait to throw though

18. seacitizen

seacitizen Active Member

Ratings:
    +87
    Bay bonito? 5-8 weight...

Panga bonito and dorado? 8-10 weight...

Like CON KSO said, you can land some big fish on small rods...I’ve landed 40lb yellowfin and skippies on a 9wt...in a worse case scenario you point the rod at the fish and let the reel do the work.

19. CON KSO

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,152
    Yes! That sounds really fun - I wanna tie up some crease flies too. Do you have a good fly tie link for them?

20. seacitizen

seacitizen Active Member

Ratings:
    +87