The Great Bonito Hunt 2019

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing' started by seacitizen, Aug 12, 2019.

1. CON KSO

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,152
    Thanks for the link! As for being down deep in the rabbit hole, all I can see from down where I'm at is a tiny spec of light above me- amazing I'm still getting signal.

2. seacitizen

seacitizen Active Member

Ratings:
    +87
    I hear ya. There’s some masters of the crease fly in there... and some interesting work...I think at some point someone says they would be just as well off with some all white creases ha and they’re probably not wrong...but where’s the fun in that? I got fill up the boxes with those and some calico and bonito size gurglers

3. CraigSmith

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,895
    #23 CraigSmith, Aug 15, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2019
  4. seacitizen

seacitizen Active Member

Ratings:
    +87

That’s the ticket Craig! I was gonna give it a go this weekend from the float tube but I’m not sure if I should bring the sinking or floating line...what are your thoughts? I would rather not have all the extra rods and such hanging off me

5. CON KSO

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,152
  6. CraigSmith

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,895
    If you want to commit to topwater only go with a floating line. But if no topwater action is present you will be out of the game.

If you have a sinking line you can still work a topwater pattern. Eventually it will get pulled under, where it might still get grabs. When fished on a sinking line, the longer the leader and the faster you retrieve, the longer the fly will stay on top. A significant disadvantage of using a sinking line is that if the are boils here and there, you have to strip in more line before re-casting. With a floater you can just pick up and cast in a different direction without stripping in much line.

The ultimate single rod/reel solution would be an interchangeable shooting head system with floating and sinking heads. Interchangeable shooting head systems for single handed rods are not as popular as they once were (for reasons I don’t fully understand). I still frequently use them and that is what I do today when I limit myself to one rod/reel.

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  7. seacitizen

seacitizen Active Member

Ratings:
    +87

I was afraid you were going to say that...i am going to have to wait until my current set of lines gets a little more beat up before I can pull he trigger on a new running line plus a couple new heads...

And why don’t you tell the owner at strouds to keep that place open for some more hours! I don’t even get off work till 4, and saturdays I’m usually on the water all day! I want to spend money but I can never get there during open hours! I’ve been trying to buy some poly/versi leaders and new materials for weeks now but I can never get in!

8. CraigSmith

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,895
    Call the shop during business hours and speak with Rick. He frequently accommodates customers with appointments during off hours and days if he is at all able to do so.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  9. Double Minor

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,237
    Extremely cool person, you as well sir! Appreciate your posts very much.

10. seacitizen

seacitizen Active Member

Ratings:
    +87
    the weekend update:

fished gloriette from the tube on Saturday, not much surface activity and 0 bonito on the fly. had to scratch up some bass to make it a worthwhile outing. fished the surf this morning for nada.

11. fishingmissionbay

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,328
    Boat:
    Alger West 17
    I have been running into handfuls of them when roaming around about a mile or so offshore. Might need a few more weeks or so until they come and take over our local water.

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  12. seacitizen

seacitizen Active Member

Ratings:
    +87
    So it’s been interesting these past few weeks...I have fished several times and had zero success on bonito in either bay, from the tube and from the seaforth skiff. I have landed some dinosaur grade spotted bay bass including my personal best on the fly; about 18” and chunky. I thought I had a decent halibut on until this thing broke the surface. A few good calicos in there as well in mission bay. Anyone got any bonito tactic or location recommendations?

Anyone want to go join the hunt? Split a skiff or go tubing together? Need gas money??

Finally, how strict is seaforth about not going past the “fly navy” and the last ship at naval base San Diego? There’s some potentially productive areas past their allowed territory I wouldn’t mind accessing...

#32 seacitizen, Sep 12, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2019
  13. Neuroshima

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,016
    I don't think they're in the bays yet... but I've heard reports of small ones inshore. I want to get at them, too. I just started tying crease flies.

14. CON KSO

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,152
    Sign me up for the Bonito Hotline on the Coconut Wireless! If anybody is finding them frequently and would care to share info I'm all ears... I just got my 12' skiff going and I'd LOVE to get into some of these micro-wahoo.

• Like Like x 5
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  15. seacitizen

seacitizen Active Member

Ratings:
    +87
    Pm sent

16. seacitizen

seacitizen Active Member

Ratings:
    +87
    Let’s see ‘em!

17. fishingmissionbay

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,328
    Boat:
    Alger West 17
    Haven’t seen them in the bays yet

3370045D-966D-48BD-AAE8-A1AD0F9BD31C.png

18. seacitizen

seacitizen Active Member

Ratings:
    +87
    You’re killing me.

19. Werfless

Werfless The Coach
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +38,784
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
    Off the end of the MB jetties when the weather cooperates. Otherwise, hit the hundred fathom curve..

20. Joel

Joel Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +60
    Glad I stumbled onto this. Looking back, it seems I caught bonito in Glorietta Bay in Oct in years past. Never realized it was part of the pattern. I just fish when I can fish!