The NFL and Free Speech

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by fisheromen, Sep 26, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Medicated fisherman

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,283
    Alot of replies for something so simple. The NFL or owners are not constitutionally bound. They can fire players for taking a knee in protest. If the owners choose to let there teams take a knee, then so be it. People can choose rather or not to consume the product.
    As for blaming Trump, he was reacting and giving his opinion to actions that were already happening. He can do that, crossing the line would be having federal agents arrest those kneeling.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  2. Escofish

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +875
    :emoji_hand_splayed:I was wondering if you were ever going to take part of this :emoji_relaxed:

3. salt water guy

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,561
    Boat:
    Montauk

Speaking of the NYT, here’s an opinion piece from a couple days ago. The conservative author is someone I’ve mostly disagreed with over the years, but I have to say -- I think he’s on to something here. Finding “common ground” seems more and more difficult these days, but sometimes it takes something really profound – even tragic -- to happen in your life to then put things in a different perspective.

Look at how practically everything is now politicized and how quickly we choose sides. And now, a mass shooting in Vegas. Guess how this plays out...

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/30/...latest&contentPlacement=9&pgtype=sectionfront

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  4. Larry M

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +7,974
    Name:
    Larry M
    I've posted this before. When I was working I had a working partner he was Hispanic. We would argue about everything political, culturally, etc.
    When people would enter the area where we were working they would say those two are crazy they can't get along
    After they left we would laugh, we had quite a reputation.
    After me being retired for 5 years we still call each other and throw a jab, we are the best of friends.
    So anything is possible, we all can disagree and still find common ground with fishing.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • List
  5. geofish

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +11,419
    Wow! Amen!

You know, this thread has really made me question the so called fishing "friends" that this forum is known to foster. I personally, wonder whether people I met through this forum are indeed who and what they represent electronically and in person.

However, those with whom I have met and actually exchanged phone numbers and text daily, weekly or even monthly, you know who you are, there is a reason I have your phone numbers and you have proven to be friends with whom I'd go fishing with again......

However, there are some who answered with anger or personal insults because we disagreed? A couple of you I've actually met and exchanged polite introductions.....Based upon your words and exchanges.....I know now why you are not in my IPhone's address book.

I like this article. It basically is saying what I said a couple times and also through my Trekkie attempts at world peace while attempting to "agree to disagree."

All I said over and over is my passionate belief that:

There is a time and place for protests. But our National Anthem is not such a time or place.

To me, this is what I believe. This is how I live my life. I am a man of my word.

But to infer then accuse a person based on such a general statement questioning their patriotism, Degree of American, and their beliefs in our Bill of Rights and Constitution......All I can say is...Wow! I agree to disagree. I am a man of my word.

This weekend I volunteered at two venues I am passionate about. All the while blending my passions and beliefs in a worthwhile and noble cause.

I volunteered at Heroes on the Water. A noble and worthy cause. Honoring our Veterans and First Responders with PTSD and TBI. All we are asked to do is go fishing on a kayak with a Veteran. Be a friend. I don't know why this cause is less popular than Shore Pounders. As I said, my actions match my words. Those who think that disrespecting our flag, country or veterans.......Please continue not to volunteer at HOW. I know you'd be uncomfortable and probably wouldn't have the guts to say things you say electronically to a Vet to his/her face!

I also volunteered at a Breast Cancer/Ovarian Cancer fund raiser called :

Fight for the Cure.

An all girls/women's Judo Tournament sponsored by the Riverside Police Department. The Riverside Police Department Color Guard presented the colors and the Ramona HS Choir sang our National Anthem beautifully. To my relief, and pride, as our National Anthem was sung so beautifully I looked at the stands and not one person was taking a knee or sitting. I thank you for being respectful even if you you never hear my gratitude.

I was blessed, lucky to be able to catch fish and lobster all the while volunteering and making a difference. This perhaps explains why I have not contributed to this thread and have been sent. As I stated earlier, I'd rather go fishing which is why I joined this forum......I volunteer, I make a difference, and they thank me....... No, I thank you for putting your lives on the line or who are trying to cure Breast Cancer! I am supporting you.

As I said. I am a man of my word. My actions match my words.

What have you done? Or are they just meaningless words sent into cyberspace????????????????????????????

Geofish - fishing and making a difference

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  6. Ram-Rod

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,813
    The people who are against taking a seat/knee are crazy. Its like when people tell me that I'm going to hell for doing something. I just reply, I don't play your make belief games. Good thing they stopped making kids pledge allegiance to the flag, its total brainwashing.

• Disagree Disagree x 4
    • Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  7. geofish

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +11,419
    Hmmmm. For those of you who think the National Anthem is a time and place for protests.

I just watched "a moment of silence" by the president and VP on the White House lawn......

Do you think this an appropriate time to exercise your 1st amendment rights and protest? What say you???????????

8. Ram-Rod

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,813
    yes, when u find out that the attack in "the gulf of tonkin" was a documented false flag to go into vietnam.

9. Larry M

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +7,974
    Name:
    Larry M
    Not only was there a time of silence he also had all flags to be flown at half mast in the US including ships at sea for a few days.
    GOD BLESS AMERICA

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  10. Larry M

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +7,974
    Name:
    Larry M
    President Kennedy started the Vietnam thing for the US by sending in military advisors in the early 60's.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  11. Larry M

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +7,974
    Name:
    Larry M
    On April 16, 1961 President Kennedy blew it with the Bay of Pigs attack.

12. Larry M

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +7,974
    Name:
    Larry M
    Sorry about taking so long to reply, wife and I went out for lunch.
    POTUS can't win, if he didn't lower the flag he would be weird, since he did have the flags lowered so what any POTUS would of done that. He's in a no win situation with some posting people here.
    I disagreed with the part about the sun.
    I don't understand your statment about wife standing next to someone and the sun. But then again I'm not the sharpest knife in the knife rack. LOL

13. Larry M

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +7,974
    Name:
    Larry M
    Ram-Rod you are right Vietnam started with the French sending in the Foreign Legion in 1946-54.The frist Indochina War.
    Second Indochina War 1954-1975 with the US and others.
    The US having the largest presence in 1965-68 it became known as the American War.
    I think that you might like the following :
    Please disregard the last section with my phone bar above it I ment to delete it from my phone snapshot. Redundant information.

Screenshot_2017-10-02-15-09-20-1.png

Screenshot_2017-10-02-15-09-30-1.png

Screenshot_2017-10-02-15-12-17-1.png

Screenshot_2017-10-02-15-14-25-1.png

Screenshot_2017-10-02-15-14-25.png

14. Escofish

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +875
    He took a glance at it without glasses. So did I and I'm sure you did too. I'm sure everyone who was aware of the eclipse did. This is a stupid argument. And for the nation anthem the respectful thing to do is stand at attention. You don't necessarily have to have your hand over your heart, that's the pledge of allegiance.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  15. Escofish

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +875
    The main thing I like about him, is he's not her 219.png

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • List
  16. fisheromen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +19,017
    Boat:
    1986 Glastron
    Don't forget Gorsuch! Worth the admission!

17. Larry M

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +7,974
    Name:
    Larry M
    Thoughts from a raptor.

Screenshot_2017-10-02-21-04-56-1.png

• Funny Funny x 6
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  18. Escofish

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +875
    I like him, Because they don't... "A good judge doesn't give a wit about politics". Hope he doesn't have a "heart attack"

19. Medicated fisherman

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,283
    You are not for a political debate, yet you keep making political comments in a public forum. Okay you don't like the President, we get it. Why should you respect a man who is more successful then most Americans. Or the fact he got elected to the most powerful position on earth. Yea he is a real moron. Keep swallowing the garbage the MSM keeps feeding you.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • List
  20. Escofish

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +875
    We need to improve our communities first.