The Pipe

Discussion in 'Private Boaters and General Saltwater' started by bschaefer, Mar 26, 2008.

1. bschaefer

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +69
    Hey Guys,
    Been wanting to get back here and post. Went to the Pipe the other day and scored well with calico and sand bass to 4 pounds. A lot of reds, one salmon grouper, and three lingosaurs...one probably close to 15 pounds! All fish came on various swimbaits. A beautiful day on the water!
    Capt. Bill

2. mick

Staff Member SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +228
    Thanks Bill. I've been wanting to get down there.

mick

3. Fomen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,952
    Yeah, I still have a paper copy of the article you posted about the pipe a few years back. Fortunately it included GPS Coordinants.

~Scott~

4. crawdadguy

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +641
    that is a great day congrats

5. Tomaso

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,072
    Bill,

Thanks for the update... Yet another spot on my list of "places I have to go"!

Good to hear from you again!

Tom

6. capt.cabo

capt.cabo Active Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hey Capt. bill
    Just got back from the Fed Hall show, it was awesome lots of fishing seminars. Bought a tons on new plastics and great deals on
    light tackle reels and rods ready to hit the calicos. Peligic clothing and Gut harvey shirts 50% off.....
    Any chance on the gps for the Pipe.

thanks
    :unsure:

7. pikepoke

pikepoke Active Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I made a quick trip to the pipe this morning with 6 of us in the boat. A newbie trip for sure as 3 of my passengers have not been on the water before. Fishing the pipe we immediately hooked into sandies, calico, brown rockfish, and a red before they started turning green and chumming in the wrong kind of way. Headed back to the calmer seasick relieving waters of the bay opening for 7 short halibut and a nice sculpin. Didn't hook into a ling, but did see a nice one pulled up by another boat a couple of weeks ago at the pipe.

Most of the fish at the pipe were caught using a swimbait on the end of the line with a dropper loop attached to a small curly tail grub a couple of feet from the end. All but two of the fish were caught on the upper hook (green flake)

There was one event that I found bothersome...we were the lone boat on the water over the pipe for some time, then the cattle boat Premier took aim at us and anchored within casting distance of my boat, right on our drift path. I suppose I should be honored that a commercial boat would find the same exact spot that I was fishing to be the same one that they want, expecially with the options of basically the entire local coastal waters, but it was weak at best. I suppose that the cattle herders often find that they are constantly being followed and invaded upon by pb's, so they have a special "right", but come on, the pipe is longer than an single spot and there were no other boats around, so to justify parking on my pb was quite stinky. Just remember...Premier.

-pikepoke

8. Macro

Macro Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +3
    CC, just between you and me, The Pipe coordinates are:
    N 32 32 2.56
    W 117 10 7.67
    Keep that under your hat. ;)

ThePipe.jpg

Devin: I always start to say "Unbelieveable!!" but those stories of the cattle boats running PBers off hot spots have just become way too common anymore. You know he had good luck one day and you just happened to be sitting right there on his coords. No where else was gonna work for him. :silly:

Say, speaking of coords and while I got yuh, think I could get the numbers of the spot you caught that 16.5 Golden? :p