The San Diego 8/5/20

Discussion in 'Sport Boats' started by Gerald, Aug 6, 2020.

1. Gerald

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +247
    Boat:
    22 foot CC
    I don’t post to often but I want to give a huge shout out to the San Diego for fishing yesterday. The day started out pretty slow on the first stop we picked up around 10 yellowfin between 30 to 50 pounds. I managed to get one on that stop around 40. Over the next several hours it was fairly slow but the crew worked hard to put us on the fish and I managed one more yellowfin between 20 to 30 during the day.

The day was getting late but the San Diego never stops hunting fish until they are back at the dock. On the last stop of the day captain Matt called out we were over a huge spot of fish and they were big. The crew threw out net fulls of chum and all around the boat there were huge explosions. Then captain Matt called out the fish were 200 to 300 feet down under the boat so I an a few other people dropped down our rubber band sinker rigs. Next to me one someone else hooked up first and everyone could tell it was a big fish. His ended taping out at 130 pounds.

I dropped a sinker rig down on my Talica 10 on a Phoenix black diamond 7 foot 6 30-80 rod spooled with 65 pound max cuatro and a 15 foot leader of Sunline fc100 40lb year flourocarbon with a 1/0 owner mutu and 6 ounce sinker rig. I was slowly letting out line and watching the other guy fight his fish when I got picked up. When I put the reel in gear and the circle hook set it started swimming towards the boat so I and the crew thought I had a small one on.

We all thought that until the fish realized something was wrong. The fish then took a massive run and was ripping line and proceeded to take me around the boat several times. After what had to be close to an hour long fight and several laps around the boat and hand offs to avoid tangles and give my arms a rest we brought the beast on to the boat.

I want to give a huge shout out to James and captain Matt and the rest of the crew for helping me land my personal best bluefin tuna. The fish taped out over 150 and is my biggest fish I have caught. I didn’t think after 2 weeks ago catching a 70 to 80 pound bluefin and an 80 to 90 I could beat that day but I did. In my opinion the San Diego is the best full day boat in the fleet for putting you on fish. Thanks again to all of the crew on the San Diego for another great trip I can’t wait til next time. If you go out on one of these full day trips make sure you have a heavier outfit with a sinker rig tied up incase you come across one of these fish.

19A3BBEB-3E39-437A-AA8C-50ACFFD7AEEA.jpeg

66831A91-081F-4CB8-8127-F80B24F5F96B.jpeg

4C9CC7B4-BBB4-4A8F-9AC8-1C15BA50C0A4.jpeg

E97BC845-D562-4209-98E0-650281B29A00.png

2. A-Train

A-Train Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +393
    Name:
    Alex
    Hell ya! Congrats! 150 lb bluefin on a full day boat... doesn’t get much better than that!

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  3. Carterantebi

Carterantebi The Skunk Magnet
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +11,286
    Name:
    Carter
    Boat:
    Hobie Revo
    Congrats dude! Heard about your fish on the radio. Unfortunately they didn’t want to respond by the time we arrived at the scene.

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  4. CrazyDonkey

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,016
    Congrats! How was water out there? Seems that it had stayed pretty big.

The San Diego is my first choice to ride on and then the Liberty and after my trip last week I have added the Grande.

5. Gerald

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +247
    Boat:
    22 foot CC
    Thanks it doesn't get much better to catch a fish like that on a full day boat

That sucks they really weren't hitting to good for us either I just got lucky and got bit. What boat were you on and did you manage to catch anything?

6. B8DHOOK

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +5,146
    Awesome trip, and great report Gerald. Good for you man..

7. Easy619

Easy619 Tug Addict
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +6,302
    Name:
    Eric
    Hell yeah!

I remember sharing the rail with you on a trip last november. This dude is a killer fisherman! I think Gerald landed near 20 yellowfin that day

8. Carterantebi

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +11,286
    Name:
    Carter
    Boat:
    Hobie Revo
    I was on the Grande. We were drifting over some lockjaw tuna pretty far south of you when Matt called us in. We hauled *** to a whole lotta nothing. We didn’t really have the crowd for triple digit tuna anyways but gotta take what you can get. Reaaaally slow out there right now.

9. Gerald

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +247
    Boat:
    22 foot CC
    Thanks I thought getting the 80 and 90 pound bluefin 2 weeks earlier couldn't be topped I was wrong about that. Now I just got to try and get one over a hundred on my own boat one of these days.

Thanks man I remember that trip. I hope we get some trips like that this season. I saw you got a nice bluefin on a trip on the San Diego not to long ago congrats on that. Are you in the San Diego area? I have a lot of tuna from this year and the end of last season if you ever want some vacuum sealed and ready to eat let me know. You were a cool dude to fish with on that trip and talk to. I really wish the tuna bite would turn on like last year. I ended up donating my two yellowfin on this trip so everyone could take some fish home because the bite was so dead a lot of people didn't catch anything. It has been really tough on my trips this year I have just been getting lucky so far. Hopefully I will run into you one of these days on the San Diego. I usually always book Wednesday because I feel like that is the least pressured day for the fish. If you ever end up wanting tuna and cant make it to get your own hit me up on here and I can hook you up anytime.

How have the fish been for you guys this year? The only thing I have been able to get bit on when fly lining is owner mutu hybrid size 4 hooks and 20 to 40 pound flourocarbon. I am hopeful once all these fish eat most of the bait it will go wide open but this year seems different then the past few years so far

10. Carterantebi

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +11,286
    Name:
    Carter
    Boat:
    Hobie Revo
    Better grade yellowfin that’s for sure. Just not full speed like fall 2018. It doesn’t seem like there’s as much of a bait problem this year but they’re still being kinda weird.

11. Werfless

Werfless The Coach ..RIP my friends
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +50,308
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
    Just need to get some skippies, bullets, frigates, mini bones, giant macks, Spanish jacks, something to put a little heat on those BFT, give em some competition for that micro bait...

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  12. Redjim

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,172
    I couldn't get them to chew my 40 so I bagged one with 30 floro and it was pretty slow still. Most of my fish came on 20-25 pound floro but all were with a mustad #4 j hook. Tight lines

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  13. Gerald

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +247
    Boat:
    22 foot CC
    Yeah the size of the fish are bigger this year and they seem to be lot smarter. Lets hope they get stupid soon and start chewing like previous years.

14. Gerald

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +247
    Boat:
    22 foot CC
    I really do hope the micro bait gets ate up soon so the tuna bite turns on. Some of the tuna schools out there are massive right now.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  15. Gerald

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +247
    Boat:
    22 foot CC
    Yeah I have managed to get most of my tuna this year on 30 to 40 pound fluorocarbon this year with size 4 owner mutu hybrid circle hooks. I have dropped down line and hook size but if I don't get picked up right after the initial stop I haven't really been able to get them to bite a fly lined bait. Lets just hope they start chewing on whatever we throw at them soon. Those are the fun trips.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  16. Jpark907

Jpark907 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +33
    That's a trophy yellowfin and then to top it off with the bluefin! Nice job!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List