The Wader question again

Discussion in 'Float Tubing' started by Hitfish, Feb 28, 2018.

1. Capt Ray

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,111
    Name:
    Ray
    The key word you used is FLOAT. If you don't float in the first place (and some of us don't) the weight of the water inside the waders them becomes real when you try and recover buoyancy. Kind of like swimming up dragging a drone.

2. fisheromen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +25,645
    Boat:
    1986 Glastron
    Video is worth mas explanations:
    The Myth About Waders

There are several more debunking this "waders will drown you" myth.

3. Creek

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +15,963
    Now that the "myth" part of it has been thrown out there in a video sponsored by ExOfficio and others, the question is, are you now willing to put all your pennies in the "risk" jar? I'm not.

I'm such a safety freak that I won't risk wearing anything other than wading pants when the water is cold. No chest-highs for this snow-melt stream flyfisherman - turned saltwater flyfisherman. I prefer wearing just UA compression pants when float tubing, but I won't dress-down into those until the water temp gets above 63 or so. And right now its steady at 59, so it will be a while.

The risk. Hmmm... Nothing is a guarantee. I guess it's all about how much of this gets into one's head. I've always been a way above average swimmer (water polo and comp swim teams in school, etc. Was even a seasonal lifeguard for a few summers while I was in college) so I'm not sweating ability. But now that I'm older and nowhere near as strong as I used to be, being pulled under by waterweight and drowning however is something that I have to consider. If it ever starts going the drowning direction, I hope I'm cool enough to remember the things I've taught myself.

Just not convinced that the risk of wearing chest waders float tubing is worth assuming (for me) just because others feel it is (for them).

4. Capt Ray

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,111
    Name:
    Ray
    I am a military diver and have been put into many planned and unplanned potentially life threatening stressful situations in the line of duty. It is very beneficial to know and understand your limits and base your level of assumed risk off that.

Great post.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  5. mistercameron

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +638
    I’ve been there baking about this since the thread started. For float tubing, I really do think a PFD is essential, so even if waders do somehownfill with water, you have something on you keeping you buoyant. Even the auto-inflating kind might not be a bad idea.

Even for shore pounding it may not be a terrible idea to have one on - something that keeps you buoyant enough to start stripping gear if it got real hairy. I couldn’t take my wading boots off quickly, but if I had the assistance it could be done. I’d lose gear, but it’s replacable.

6. Creek

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +15,963
    Yup. I always wear mine. I'm not too proud to say I have a fear of drowning. Like burning, drowning has got to be one of the most painful ways to go out there.

7. mistercameron

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +638
    And none of our wives/SO need to be actual fishing widows. Think of the children!

8. fisheromen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +25,645
    Boat:
    1986 Glastron
    A PFD is always a good idea, especially when tubing with boats around. But the point of the videos is that waders, even partially filled with water, provide buoyancy. A PFD would just be added buoyancy. Unless you keep your feet pointed straight toward the lake bottom, waders will not fill completely with water. In fact you would not be able to maintain that posture because your legs will want to float.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  9. mistercameron

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +638
    I'm not trying to argue that wearing waders is going to sink you. Rather, the extra water weight can make it more difficult to swim. It's much more dangerous in heavy surf, but can also become an issue in even slightly deep water where you cannot stand. There's also a chance that people can panic when things go south, which generally makes things less safe (I'm reminded of my rescue diving training - a fully buoyant diver on the surface can become panicked and run into trouble quickly).

Anyway, just two more cents for the discussion. Just be safe and take the proper precautions for the environment.

10. Creek

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +15,963
    Go with your brain. Each man has his limits. Mine are amplified by extreme personal safety and a fear of being pulled under.

11. fisheromen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +25,645
    Boat:
    1986 Glastron
    Where this all started was the idea that pant waders are safer than chest waders. Since waders are required when tubing in our reservoirs it should be known that neither are going to kill you.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  12. Creek

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +15,963
    I really dont think they'll kill you, either. But my brain always tell me to consider all the possibilities in any situation. Speaking only for myself, to do otherwise would be foolish. I also think about catastrophic tube failures - usually while I'm working the Coronado Bridge supports at Tidelands.

13. RolloTomasi

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,875
    Name:
    c
    Boat:
    Nice tube and yak
    just read a bunch of posts on a trapping website and they have the same debate. i wonder if the last words for some are, "Theoretically this is not happening." Theory is experience's beeyotch.

14. Capt Ray

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,111
    Name:
    Ray
    You are absolutely correct...in most cases you will not even know they are on. But, the one or two in a hundred will not fair so well. ALWAYS have your PFD on and you will be fine.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  15. Capt Ray

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,111
    Name:
    Ray
    Forgot to insert the quote. Dain bramage.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List