Tilapia Species ?

Discussion in 'Freshwater' started by Bird334, Jun 5, 2019.

1. Bird334

Bird334 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +53
    There are many different types of tilapia just wondering which ones are the same or different at these 5 places?
    1. Imperial Valley Canals
    2. Salton Sea
    3. Lake Hodges
    4. Balboa Lake north LA
    5. SARL OR Corona in the old days

2. Werfless

Werfless The Coach
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +36,880
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
    It's a mix, Queue would know more than I would. I was always told the IV ones are a mix of blue, Nile and Mozambique, with the dominant mix depending on salinity where caught... Muddier water, the Nile blood comes to the front, fresher clearer water is the blue, the saline water the Mozambique (probably all wrong, lol). Mogambo likely knows more than I do too. The ones we used to catch out of the SAR downstream of SARL looked like straight blue tilapia, to me

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  3. Queue

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,003
    Boat:
    SR-18
    Only T hornorum or T mossambique are approved for stocking where approved. Most are mutts of these two species excluding the aquaruim dumps by ignorant pet owners.

4. fish4bass

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +642
    I know your going to set me straight Queue, but aren't Zilli approved also

5. JoshJ123

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +310
    What type is in Hodges?

6. Mogambo

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,346
    Name:
    Al
    Boat:
    19 foot Sea Pro
    I’m not sure anybody knows or has gone to the trouble of doing DNA studies to figure out what specie now exists in the drains in the Imperial Valley. Originally the Imperial Irrigation District had an infestation of hydrila, a very evasive aquatic weed that can quickly clog the canals, which would be devastating for the agricultural community.

The State Fish & Game stepped in and said introducing tilapia in the canals would alleviate the problem and furnished tilapia for stocking. There are numerous stories going around regarding what species was introduced into the canals. The whole plan went south when all the tilapia were washed out to the Salton Sea.

The DFG had egg on its face because they had not done their due diligence and discovered tilapia don’t like the current in the canals and they were soon all washed to the Salton Sea. The DFG said not to worry because the tilapia will never survive in the high salt content of the Salton Sea.

Again the DFG had more egg on their face when the tilapia not only survived but flourished in the Salton See, feeding on all the algae and plankton.

As a result not much was published after all the screw ups. I did hear the name Tilapia Mozambique and Tilapia Zilli mentioned quite often but obviously others species could have been planted.

Since then State F&G biologists have told me the different species interbred and through natural selection created a specie that has been able to survive and adapt to the increasing salt content which is now hovering around 60 parts per thousand compared to 35 parts per thousand for Pacific Ocean water. The biologists have also determined that any tilapia from other sources, introduced to Salton Sea Water, die immediately from the high salt content.

So back to the hydrila. The IID ended up building a fish hatchery to produce sterile triploid carp which have proven to do an excellent job of controlling aquatic weeds in the canals.

7. Queue

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,003
    Boat:
    SR-18
    https://nrm.dfg.ca.gov/FileHandler.ashx?DocumentID=3256

T zilli can be raised for aquaculture but not stocked into waters of the State (see info leaflet link above) I imagine only for a commercial food product or used in wastewater treatment or both.

• Helpful Helpful x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  8. swings are free

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,531
    The biggest variety ive seen was in Palo Verde ( cibola not alpine ). Next time im making bait there I'll try and takes some pics .

9. Mogambo

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,346
    Name:
    Al
    Boat:
    19 foot Sea Pro
    Are you talking about the Palo Verde Outfall Canal or Cibola Lake? I’ve never fished either one but have heard the species is a blue color.

10. swings are free

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,531
    Outfall canal

11. Bird334

Bird334 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +53
    Thanks for all replies