Took the maiden voyage today with new tube

Discussion in 'Float Tubing' started by Kellen, Jan 14, 2016.

1. Kellen

Kellen Owner
    Staff Member

Ratings:
    +5,836
    I took the tube out for the first trip today on the private lake I got it for...first impression, damn. It sure is hard to fish the way I like to fish in a float tube, hah. I like to run bank and fish parallel to the shoreline, and unless I was going with the wind, pretty much impossible to do that.

First hour was pretty frustrating. Adjusting your position in a float tube just displaces so much water, I couldn't get where I wanted to be without "blowing out" the spot that I wanted to fish. Without any wind, it got easier. And then when the wind was blowing just right in the direction I was going, of course that was easy. But its impossible to count on that.

I didn't have my fish finder because the mount still hasn't arrived, so that'll surely help so I can establish a structure bite.

All the gear worked pretty good... the Castmate system is really nice. Thruster fins were perfectly fine, no issue there so I'll send back the Force Fins without regret.

The only thing I was disappointed in to be honest was the Cumberland tube. The seat is complete friggin junk in my mind. I'm definitely going to have to figure out either a replacement seat, or a replacement tube, or some modification to make it work for me better. If I leaned on the back rest it just basically folded back and provided no support.

And it just doesn't really fit my body, not that that's the tube's fault. I'm only 5'9" 160 lbs, so I'm sure its made with much larger people in mind...it was just way too deep for me. I had to scoot forward in the seat and just sit upright to be able to generate any propulsion.

I looked up the dimensions of the Fish Cat 4 seat and see its the same...so that likely wouldn't have been any better for me.

I also need to get a foot pump before I use the tube again, I couldn't get it quite full enough with the electric pumps (two of them - neither sufficed).

I was able to cover the entire shoreline of a 25 acre lake in about 3 hours in a 20 mph wind, and I'm not even slightly sore, so in that regard, I think everything worked pretty good for me.

Fishing was ok, not great. Better than I expected it to be in January though. The lake is much deeper than I thought it was, 2/3 of the shoreline is sheer cliff bluffs (odd in this part of Texas) and without the fish finder, I was never able to get anything going on those. The other 1/3 of the lake yielded plenty of 2-3 pounders on reaction baits.

Cormorants were present, good sign. And most walkers and golfers (half of it is bordered by a golf course) were surprised to see a fisherman, so that's also a good sign. None of the fish I caught had any sign of being caught previously, only one was skinny. Every bite I got turned into a caught fish, pretty rare throwing reaction baits in the winter. That's another good sign, these fish have their guard down and are eating with full conviction.

In a couple months this place is going to be paradise. I've never seen a small lake like this with so much fishable cover and deep water in Texas. Pretty crazy.

IMG_1463.JPG

2. Kellen

Kellen Owner
    Staff Member

Ratings:
    +5,836
    Overall, really fun to be on a new lake that poses some different challenges. I have very little experience fishing cliffs and rock bluffs, outside of the desert lakes and I never particularly thrived fishing the steep stuff. So this will be fun.

3. Nute

Nute Researcher...
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,493
    Dont get too discouraged for the first time out. There's always adjustments and a learning curve involved. Air pressure is key to using your tube to it's true potential. At least with outcast float tubes, they have oversized bladders so you can pump that thing up super tight. I have mine like a basketball when I go out. Use a two way manual pump.

4. weldon

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,808
    I have a simple foot pump from OutCast that gets my F/C as tight as I want and works like a charm besides being cheap. Remember If the ambient water temp is cooler than the ambient air temp when you put the tube in the water it's going to get a little flabby. I'm 5' 11" and 225 lbs and I find the F/C seat very comfortable plus the foam seat keeps the whole setup rigid.

5. STiCKY

Staff Member SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,668
    Boat:
    Tube
    Maybe sit on a pfd like a booster seat??? I came from a donut tube to the cumberland and definitely had to get used to it before it became first nature. Nice work I'm sure you will enjoy the heck out of it in no time at all.

6. Kellen

Kellen Owner
    Staff Member

Ratings:
    +5,836
    Yeah, I think I'm going to at least get like a seat cushion, and put that against the backrest so it'll allow me to sit further forward and at least get some back support.

Fish finder mount showed up today from fishfindermounts.com...that thing is awesome! That's a spectacularly engineered product. Couldn't be happier with it.

If it doesn't rain tomorrow, I'm going to head back out there and see what I can do with the fish finder.

7. STiCKY

Staff Member SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,668
    Boat:
    Tube
    On some stricter waters, I have done the same thing and used a pfd for a back support because I had to have one before the cumberland and it was actually a great support and really comfortable. I now usually have a cooler in the mesh section behind the seat and it seems to keep the seat back up at the right position to keep me from readjusting.

8. Kellen

Kellen Owner
    Staff Member

Ratings:
    +5,836
    Ordered this pump from Amazon today http://amzn.to/1QdDvDd

41kpz1yJi-L.jpg
    It has a built in pressure gauge, so that should be handy. I'm really curious to see what PSI my electric pumps were able to put in there, I'm guessing no where near the recommended 2.5.

9. MaxZmus

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,121
    I put a small cooler in the back that doubles as back support. Did you try the force fins before sending them back? I'd like to hear some feedback on comfort versus the thrusters.

10. Kellen

Kellen Owner
    Staff Member

Ratings:
    +5,836
    Sort of. I tried them on with my feet in the water sitting on the dock. I was afraid that if I put them on and actually got in the tube, I'd mark them up walking with them on.

They're a lot easier to put on and take off than the Thrusters. Also a lot smaller profile (shorter) so probably a little easier to maneuver around. I imagine they are better for sure, but worth $250? Dunno. Honestly, if I was tubing on a bigger lake I'd have given more consideration to keeping them. Thrusters seemed fine for me though.

11. Kellen

Kellen Owner
    Staff Member

Ratings:
    +5,836
    I got the pump tonight. WOW! The electric pumps were not even getting it close to 2.5 PSI. Without the gauge, I don't think I'd have been comfortable putting that much air in there. 2.5 PSI is a lot more than I would have thought.

Now I'm even more curious to go back out for a 2nd go around.

12. mcfish

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +6,865
    Boat:
    fisher marine18
    I discovered that the seat on my Cumberland was a lot more comfortable when I really cinch down the straps so that the backrest is pretty much straight up and down. I'm 6', 165lbs and can spend 8 hours in my tube with no back issues. I discovered early on that having the seat in more of a leaning back position just wasn't going to cut it.

13. jeepnkal

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +296
    when you dont have enough air in your tube it will get saggy and make for an unpleasant experience and a very long day. You will also be surprised by the increase in maneuverability once you are pumped up to the correct PSI.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  14. STiCKY

Staff Member SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,668
    Boat:
    Tube
    Yea I crank the seat straps down so far it almost kicks forward rather than 90 degrees and its real nice haha. I tried the lean back thing and realized all it was gonna do was put me to sleep.

15. Kellen

Kellen Owner
    Staff Member

Ratings:
    +5,836
    I had the straps tightened up to the point it sits forward also. Still had all sorts of issues with it. We will see what it feels like now that I have the correct air pressure. By no means would I describe my tube as sagging before when I used it. But it wasn't blown up like a basketball like it is now at 2.5.

I need to get a seat cushion for the backrest still. Doesn't really matter what the straps are pulled to if I can't sit against the backrest and still kick. Only time I was on the backrest was when I was just sitting in the same spot for awhile.

16. mcfish

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +6,865
    Boat:
    fisher marine18
    Don't know what to say, I haven't had that kicking problem leaning against the backrest. Maybe they moved the backrest back on the newer ones.

17. Kellen

Kellen Owner
    Staff Member

Ratings:
    +5,836
    I think it's just that you're 3" taller than me. At only 5'9", it really isn't any surprise that something isn't built for me.

It's really two separate issues with the tube for me;
    1. The seat is too deep for me and my short legs (no fault of the tube)
    2. The seat design sucks the way the backrest is affixed. It really needs two straps on each side, or at least two anchor points on the backrest for the strap (this is a fault of the tube in my opinion)

18. fisheromen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +22,265
    Boat:
    1986 Glastron
    So much of your report reminds me of my first time out. I was ready to throw in the towel. It was on Otay in the wind and rain. There was a tube tournament there. As I look back I can remember the guys grinning at my inability to get out of some tullies after I had blown in there. Horrible experience! I reported on my day and several guys said, "keep at it, it will get better!"

That being said, you will make adjustments that will hone your tubing experience. Navigating will become second nature, like skating or driving a stick. The wind is your enemy that you will learn to live with. You cannot compare tubing to boat fishing - completely different animal. The stealth factor of the tube is amazing. I like the solitude it provides. I love, and now prefer, tube fishing. Just random thoughts.

As to size, I mentioned that I thought the Cumberland might be too much tube for you, in your previous thread. It is designed for bigger guys. Even if the seat of the Fish Cat is the same size, it may work better for you.

19. STiCKY

Staff Member SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,668
    Boat:
    Tube
    Huh... I'm 5'8 on a good day and don't have the kicking problem. Different strokes I guess.

20. mcfish

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +6,865
    Boat:
    fisher marine18
    The first time I ever took a tube out..Lake Crowley, 30mph winds, 2' waves, temp 34 degees, last person on the lake.....thought I was going to be blown to Nevada! I learned real quick the proper kicking techniques! Love my tube!