Top Lake Cuyamaca Fishing Spots

Discussion in 'Trout' started by 80sforlife, Jun 21, 2016.

1. 80sforlife

80sforlife Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +239
    Going out to fish Lake Cuyamaca this weekend. There is a lot of shoreline and even a couple docks. Where are the good fishing spots?

2. mbutler

mbutler Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +180
    Get over to the Northwest side and try the finger jetty and dock near the Dam. Always had good luck over there.

3. Festus

Festus Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +19
    It depends on the wind. If it's coming from the east I like to fish in the other side of the dam. If it's coming from the west I like to fish, lone pine first or chambers as my second option

4. Jenx

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +5,987
    I have never tried to fish for bass there, which I assume is what you are asking about, but I have caught plenty of other fish there.

I was there in April and I saw a 7 lb bass and a 12.6 lb trout caught from the shore of pumphouse cove. A lot of people were fishing over in that cove, and a lot of bass boats were fishing the shore between Macgregor Cove and Pumphouse cove.

I have caught a lot of Crappie along that dike near Pumphouse cove, I have caught catfish out of Macgregor cove, and lot of trout near the Lone Pine Tree.

Good luck.

5. 80sforlife

Ratings:
    +239
    I'm hunting for trout specifically in Lake Cuyamaca. I reserve bass fishing in the local city reservoirs.

6. 80sforlife

Ratings:
    +239
    Anyone been out to Lake Cuyamaca recently? How's the trout fishing? Schedule says they stocked yesterday and last week. Called to confirm but they are very unresponsive.

7. Jenx

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +5,987
    If you are shore fishing I would suggest sticking to the Fletcher Island side of Pumphouse Cove (get there early). Shore fishing along the North Shore was pretty dead last time I was there, except for the small fishing dock in front of the campsite. You can also catch fish off of the main fishing dock near the boat docks, but it can get really hot there if the wind isn't blowing. And speaking of wind, I would avoid the handicap pier along the dike. If that wind kicks up in your face you wont be able to cast for any distance in that spot.

For boat fishing I would also recommend over near Pumphouse Cove, or out near the lone pine tree. You can catch fish from the shore of the lone pine tree, but you will have far better luck in the spot fishing from a boat. I remember a guy one time swearing up a storm because we were fishing from a boat about twenty yards farther out from his maximum casting distance, which wasn't much, and we hit our limit that morning while I don't think he got one. He just couldn't quit reach them from the shore.

8. 80sforlife

Ratings:
    +239
    Both boat and shore fishing were rough this past Sat, even after recent trout stocking. Maybe it was too warm for the trout to active. To my knowledge trout are more active in cold waters.

9. evtrout

evtrout Member

Ratings:
    +9
    Fished the cove next to the boat ramp at Cuyamaca this morning. Not one bite and didn't see anyone catch anything. Was hoping for better action since it was stocked this past week.

10. Urklehaze

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +807
    Lone pine is usually the best place for me.
    It might not be cold enough for a good bite yet. I'll be heading up there soon.