Torrey Pines

Discussion in 'Surf, Piers, & Jetties' started by Jordand, Dec 12, 2019.

1. Jordand

Jordand Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +806
    anywhere good to fish close to Torry Pines Beach at low tide? Aka right now?

2. William Ritchie

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,501
    Name:
    WjRitchie
    Boat:
    17.5 Western Wide CC
    Should be a lot of structure showing down the beach towards flat rock . You will start seeing rock piles about the first V notch canyon in the cliff face about 1/3 rd the way down toward flat rock . Look for channels and rock boils into the outside reef. Good luck . WR

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  3. Jordand

Ratings:
    +806
    Awesome. Thank you so much! So south of the parking lot and entrance to the state park?

4. Jordand

Ratings:
    +806
    Fo
    und it. Thank you!

5. William Ritchie

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,501
    Name:
    WjRitchie
    Boat:
    17.5 Western Wide CC
    Correct . Was just looking at the web cam near the pay station it appears there are some holes forming up close to in front of the last tower to the south as well . If you hoof it down the beach you can see a rock head sticking up out of the sand that is a bout where the structure starts and becomes more distinct and abundant . Tight lines WR

• Like Like x 4
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  6. carpkiller

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,794
    TP structure is often buried..but can be uncovered by winter storms. WR's comment about the notch reminded me...anywhere where there's a valley or notch, there can be edges and ledges where the valley extends out to sea.
    I've found structure in front of the first pink wall north of the bridge into Del Mar...at both sides of the cut where the bridge is...and where the bluffs begin as you head south, there's a rock flat, with a HUGE set of rock fingers that run north, parallel to the beach. It takes a big storm surge to scour off the sand. But if you're casting and blasting up and down the beach...don't ignore the topography behind you, and take a few casts in front of any rifts the the cliffs.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  7. carpkiller

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,794
    TP structure is often buried..but can be uncovered by winter storms. WR's comment about the notch reminded me...anywhere where there's a valley or notch, there can be edges and ledges where the valley extends out to sea.
    I've found structure in front of the first pink wall north of the bridge into Del Mar...at both sides of the cut where the bridge is...and where the bluffs begin as you head south, there's a rock flat, with a HUGE set of rock fingers that run north, parallel to the beach. It takes a big storm surge to scour off the sand. But if you're casting and blasting up and down the beach...don't ignore the topography behind you, and take a few casts in front of any rifts the the cliffs.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  8. Jordand

Ratings:
    +806
    Thank you! Got too busy to leave work today, but tomorrow may be a different story. Is it only able to be fished at low tide, or am I good to head down there during any tide cycle?

9. carpkiller

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,794
    I usually go at low tide to spot holes and structure and fish through to high tide. But I've not surf fished much in recent years so can't tell you what's up right now.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  10. TangledAngler

TangledAngler Well-Known Mangler
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,100
    That's a great tactic for most surf fishing - if you have the ability to scout an area at low tide, your higher-tide target areas will be visible. I often hit the beach (esp. TP/DM since they're close) during a low tide just to come back in a day or so to fish those holes/troughs. If a storm comes, or we have heavy surf (like this weekend), it'll shake things up like an etch-a-sketch, then its back to scouting at low tide. Other than that, its read the waves and coordinate with geological features (cliffs, bluffs, cuts, ravines, etc.) as others mention.

As far as when is best to fish near TP or any location, well, that depends on a lot of factors and it can change from place to place, time of year, time of day, what you're targeting, etc, etc. Get out there to learn the area - there's no better substitute.

I'm at TP/Del Mar quite a bit. Feel free to hmu when you head-out next. And dont be shy to ask others to head out with you - not everyone is into it, but it doesnt hurt to ask.

11. mikecheck1212

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +5,369
    can i get a link for some webcams...that would be awesome!..i did a quick search and the first few that popped up werent working..

12. William Ritchie

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,501
    Name:
    WjRitchie
    Boat:
    17.5 Western Wide CC
    • Helpful Helpful x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  13. mikecheck1212

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +5,369
    Thank you sir....

14. Kaze

Kaze Active Member

Ratings:
    +128
    I've been fishing TP every Sunday for since the beginning of Oct. Mostly North of tower 1. Is the structure really that more apparent just a little farther South? I've been avoiding it due to not wanting to get trapped by a high tide.

I've been doing okay, less so since the storms started and seemingly flattened things out. I noticed that I have been having a tough time finding any real structure recently.

Since I'm heading out tomorrow morning I may have to expand my borders a bit.

15. William Ritchie

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,501
    Name:
    WjRitchie
    Boat:
    17.5 Western Wide CC
    There is a LOT of structure to the south even in summer when the sand has pretty much replenished there are visible reefs with eel grass Etc. Winter swells dredge/ erode the beach up to 3 meters I am told by people studying it over the years , they say the sand goes out to about an 8 meter depth before being deposited in a bar so to speak . Try to take a walk at low tide or ride an old crappy bike and take a look . There is a good 2 miles maybe 3 of pretty good stuff to fish . The last study I was informed about had 30 each 100 meter transects between the parking lot and flat rock that puts it at 1.8 miles there alone . good luck . WR Add Edit . You can go up the stairway trail near flat rock if you get hemmed in by the tide , a bit of a hike but will get to the parking lot . Stay Safe .

#15 William Ritchie, Dec 13, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2019
    • Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  16. Jordand

Ratings:
    +806
    So I was able to get out today around 2:30. Waves were big, but tide was out. Walked quite a way south past tower 1 and was able to see the structure that appeared to go on for ever. Got hung up a bunch of times but caught one and hooked into something much bigger that shook the hook. Now I just need to be able to see where to cast better. The current was moving pretty good so that didn’t help my cause. Anyway, fun times!

17. Kaze

Kaze Active Member

Ratings:
    +128
    Went out from about 5am to 11am. Surf and tides were as high as I've seen it. Unfortunately this meant making it down South as far as I wanted to go wasn't really on the table. Maybe I should invest in some waders. Anywho nothing but a big S and and some experience for the day.

I was planning to try again next Saturday and noticed some signs saying that the Carmel Valley Rd exit was going to be closed from 4am to 1pm. Anyone know why or if I have another route? Otherwise I'll have to try somewhere closer to home, MB maybe?

18. William Ritchie

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,501
    Name:
    WjRitchie
    Boat:
    17.5 Western Wide CC
    Genesee To the top and turn north onto TP road when coming from the south . Didn't here about a run or golf tourney . Must be road work . Should be pretty good when the swell calms down . Sometimes waders can be a liability in some situations , best off with a wet suit in those conditions at least you will float if swamped and dragged out . Never turn your back to it . Be Safe , good luck . WR

• Like Like x 6
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  19. Oceanfire

Oceanfire Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +235
    Name:
    matthew dusa
    Is it worth trying to fish from the beach, at any tide, when the waves are 5+ft? I went out yesterday, the waves were BIG, and it seemed futile. Is that everyone’s experience in big waves?

20. itsyaboysears

itsyaboysears The Young Gun
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,296
    I fish when I can.... rain or shine. I was out lastnight myself. Definitely wasn’t my ideal choice of conditions but you’ve gotta use what you can work with.. larger tides/king tides bring in the big mamas:emoji_sunglasses: than again I’m targeting different species

#20 itsyaboysears, Dec 15, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2019