Tough Day at San Vicente

Discussion in 'Panfish' started by Fishbreath, Jun 14, 2021.

1. Fishbreath

Fishbreath Fishing tales told here....some true.
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,328
    I'll keep it short because there is not much to tell. I had an opportunity to fish with an old friend today, so there was that positive note at least. It had been over three years since we had made it work for us. Too bad the fishing wasn't better for our reunion. The other positive was that he wanted to take four home for the table, and the first four went in the live well. There were a couple of false hope when we wound catch two or three and think they were going to bite, but they never turned on. I even butchered the photo of him holding a couple of his fish so much that I won't embarrass him by posting it. The one he took of me turned out better. Mostly bluegill today with only two redears and one bass. We used our better judgement and came in at 10:00 to avoid most of the heat. If they bit after 10:00, we missed it. Here is our only picture.
    June 14, 2021.jpg

2. Fishbreath

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,328
    My dear wife just pointed out that it is I who should be embarrassed by the bad picture, not FishingBuddy. Laugh if you need to. We did..
    June 14, 2021 2.jpg

#2 Fishbreath, Jun 14, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2021
  3. fishnfreak

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,626
    great job!!!
    fish like those are ones to be proud of. your friend has a nice meal there.
    the hottest of days can take a toll, then the long steep hill, smart move.

4. Fishbreath

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,328
    I usually call for a cart when it is hot. That ramp is a killer for my 78-year-old body.

5. Fishbreath

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,328
    #5 Fishbreath, Jun 14, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2021
  6. bajacamp

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,327
    You know Fishbreath I think the older we get the more we enjoy catching fish and worth the effort to get to them....

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  7. fisheromen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +26,657
    Boat:
    1986 Glastron
    Larry, that first fish looks like a mutant it is so big! I would call your friend "Wilson" but you cut off the top of his face. ;)

8. weldon

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,086
    That is the fattest 'gill I have ever seen ! :emoji_astonished:

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  9. Fishbreath

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,328
    I think some of it may be a flattering camera angle, but yes it is a very nice fish, probably in the 12-inch range. That size has become so routine that I have to stop occasionally and remind myself what a treasure we have in that lake. Paradise for an old panfisherman, even if it is a 100 mile round trip from Fallbrook. My friend wanted to catch some of the big redears, but that did not happen yesterday. I caught both of the ones we got, and they were pretty unremarkable. They both wound up on the dinner table.

10. tsugg

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,472
    Name:
    Tom
    Boat:
    alumacraft 165
    great picture!! nice feeeshes

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  11. FishingBuddy

FishingBuddy Active Member

Ratings:
    +4
    It was a wonderful reunion indeed. I went fishing with ." Fishbreath" mainly to be with him again. Fishing with my long time FishingBuddy is always a pleasure. We have had some unbelievable fishing adventures over the years. Having been an avid fisherman for over 55 years, I have never met a better fisherman than Fishbreath. (I have met better photographers though. "haha") I want to make it clear that he is also one of the most honest fisherman that I personally know. so believe what you read when he posts, They are "true" fishing reports. The 4 Panfish that I took home were absolutely delicious. 2 filets per person was perfect for my family of 4.
    I wish the very best fishing and health to everyone that follows my FishingBuddy's messages.on this board.

12. Fishbreath

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,328
    Thanks for the kind words. You are one of the few people who know how boring it is to fish with me and still do it anyway. We've made a commitment not to wait so long again, so let's keep that promise. We have done them all, but I know your first love is still bass fishing. Most of our earlier adventures were before everything was digitized, but here is one from soon after we started fishing Vail Lake.
    Feb 4, 2009 001.jpg

13. Fishbreath

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,328
    Both of us have done a lot of fishing in Louisiana, Weldon, so it might be interesting to point out that the bluegill you see here would be a new state record back there where the current record is 1.83 lbs. The Louisiana state record redear sunfish is 2.87 lbs, so the 3 lb+ redear I caught last month would also be a state record. Those fish hardly raise an eyebrow here, which reinforces my earlier statement that we live in a panfisherman's paradise.

14. fishnfreak

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,626
    With the abunduce of water, lakes and rivers, one would think Louisiana, Alabama, Tennessee would be the panfish capital. Thank you for pointing that out, I knew the Colorado river water have monsters, didnt know San Diego was that good.lower otay is a Jewell as well, June the bluegill numbers reported in the UT years ago, were huge.
    Larry are technics similar.

15. Fishbreath

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,328
    I think probably more fishermen in those states target panfish, especially judging from the number of jon boats you see on the highway and under the pecan tree in the side yard. And you know they are catching fish by the ice chest full. I guess my point was that we have access to some trophy-size panfish right here locally, even though it is unlikely we will see the size of those Lake Havasu monsters. As far as technique, I have to admit I haven't fished in Louisiana since I left for Florida in 1970. I suspect that techniques have become more sophisticated just as ours have. One big factor in technique is that you would be hard pressed to find many lakes or streams over 15 or 20 feet deep at the deepest, and then they would probably stratified. Most of the water is stained with limited visibility. If in the unlikely event I ever moved back there, I am sure I would find a way to make that my new fishing paradise.