tough day - only 38 fish - but worth it!

Discussion in 'Panfish' started by spoonminnow, Jun 18, 2019.

1. spoonminnow

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,022
    As many of you know from my previous post, lure design and testing is my obsession. Whenever I can prove a theory true, it's like catching a state record but it's not always easy.

Last Friday I caught 45 fish, with the wind 20-25 mph. Today I barely caught 38 and they were not in the same locations. Post spawn fish relocate, which is something that occured to me when I saw some kayak anglers fishing in the middle of the lake vs the shallows. After that, I moved out into somewhat deeper water of 7' and started catching loosely schooled fish.

Happily a few new innovations caught different species and were attacked like it was the fish's last meal ! Here are a few:
    opCTqYI.jpg
    This is a new size I made: a 2" wacky mini-stick hit by fish of all sizes using clear plastic for the 'legs' and adding fine glitter to the outside using a soft plastic glue. The jig head used is 1/16 oz with a #4 hook. I needed to confirm the wacky mini-stick an effective search bait.

Here's another:
    jrNuVcD.jpg

I also wanted to confirm that clear plastic bodies or tails can catch fish:
    KBtkPoA.jpg Xk70mBu.jpg
    5dVSqT3.jpg

This hybrid was made by taking a claw from a bass craw lure and attaching it to a grub body:
    wM09U0j.jpg

Especially rewarding is when fish attack the lure on the second or third cast when I miss the hook set. The sunfish were especially strong swimmers and seemed like much bigger fish at the end of the line.

#1 spoonminnow, Jun 18, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2019
  2. Fishingnoob619

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +497
    Barley caught 38. :emoji_tired_face: Just give up fishing lol. Jk. Nice job

3. spoonminnow

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,022
    Thanks but you know what made the outing worth it? - Testing lure designs and discovering how well they caught fish! Even if I only caught six fish on different lures being tested it would be worth it!