TP 06/14 No fish report

Discussion in 'Surf, Piers, & Jetties' started by MojoSurf, Jun 15, 2019.

1. MojoSurf

MojoSurf Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +168
    fish from 4 to 6:15 pm, north beach, cloudy, incoming tide, some salad, mild current, sand crabs everywhere!! Start with c-rig on camo sandworm, no luck. Switch to SC, feel bites but not consistent. Including me, there were 4 people trying to get some fish but didn’t seem anyone has luck this afternoon. Met another angler on my way back to car. Exchanged some words. Hope he did a better job than me today. I haven’t caught any fish for a while. Miss the fight. Some questions,
    1. There are plenty of food sources (sand crabs) on the beach, could this be the reason fish not interested in additional food we try to lure them?
    2. I prefer to use 15lb leader with c-rig. I target perch and croakers. Will this over kill? I tried 8 and 10lb before but they got tangled easily.

Thank you

2. ScubaLee03

ScubaLee03 Real Estate Broker
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,092
    TP has been rough for me this year too.

Maybe try Del Mar and up or down to La Jolla or PB. I’ve had better luck there.

Or just grind it out since the bites can turn on at any day.

3. itsyaboysears

itsyaboysears The Young Gun
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,255
    Yeah same as above TP hasn’t been the best to me either this year. But than again I did land a 23”+ YFC from the surf last Sept.

4. William Ritchie

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,406
    Name:
    WjRitchie
    Boat:
    17.5 Western Wide CC
    Torrey Pines for me is usually a good spot. Make sure your fishing some kind of structure even if it is old footprints in the sand . That failing look for any kind of a rip or sand churning up in the waves that would indicate turbulence or movement of water around a trough or rock . There is pretty much lots of bait most of the time , the fish just put the feed bag on at different times or target a specific bait IE when the Grunion stage vs just sand crabs . I can't tell you how many big perch have fallen for a rather large stick bait vs anything else for me . Keep at it , pay close attention to any patterns of behavior when you do get on a good bite , odds are that same pattern will prevail until the topography or forage changes . A big hole one day maybe flat sand on the next tide . Keep moving and watch the water don't pound sand in one place to much . Good luck

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  5. Bassnbeans

Bassnbeans Fishical Therapist
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,947
    Should still be your avatar pic. That thing was epic!

6. TekAngler

TekAngler Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +370
    Could be the bait presentation. I've fished a carolina rig for hours without a bite, switched to dropper loop with bait higher off the bottom and got one right away.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List