TP/Del Mar 5-30-20

Discussion in 'Surf, Piers, & Jetties' started by jonewantsm3, Jun 1, 2020.

1. jonewantsm3

jonewantsm3 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +47
    Went out with a friend at TP on the incoming tide Sat afternoon. We were quickly told by a lifeguard that surf fishing at state beaches was a prohibited activity. He was just a kid doing his job so I didn't make a big deal of it but I asked if we could fish north closer to Del Mar and he said, "well it's not the state beach up there..."

So we fished north of the bridge and gulp worms were getting bit on every cast once you found the spot. Unfortunately, my hook was too big (#6) and I had five straight worms bitten off at one point. I didn't have smaller hooks to switch out but I would use #8. Ended up landing a tiny YFC and this large perch (around 12")

-2272926102723751057.jpg

They're hungry and biting right now... but can anybody confirm the rules for surf fishing? Is it shut down everywhere still or just at state beaches? I can't keep track of all these rule changes.

• Like Like x 7
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • List
  2. William Ritchie

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,982
    Name:
    WjRitchie
    Boat:
    17.5 Western Wide CC
    How far north did you have to go ? When I look at the state Beach / park boundary maps it looks like the north boundary of TPSB is about 6th street in Delmar . Glad you got on them . Size 6 to big ? I usually have a better hookup ratio with a size 4 Owner Mosquitoe Just nose hooking the worm so to speak . even smaller perch . Tight lines . WR

#2 William Ritchie, Jun 1, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2020
  3. jammar

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +228
    Name:
    James
    I think the beaches are suppose to be opening up tomorrow, June 2nd. So we should all be allowed to fish the surf starting tomorrow.

4. old_rookie

Staff Member SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +6,246
    We better be able to fish if everyone else is able to sit in place. Makes no sense otherwise.

5. William Ritchie

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,982
    Name:
    WjRitchie
    Boat:
    17.5 Western Wide CC
    City and county beaches are supposed to open but I have not heard the same for state beaches . Guess we will see. The one anomaly may be San Elijo as it is the only state beach / park in the system run by a municipality . Wr

#5 William Ritchie, Jun 2, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2020
  6. old_rookie

Staff Member SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +6,246
    TP is open to walk on, but last time I went there a sign was up stating no surf fishing. Per the state parks web-site it isn't on the list of closed state park/beaches. The SNR part of TP is on the list (State Nature Reserve).

7. William Ritchie

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,982
    Name:
    WjRitchie
    Boat:
    17.5 Western Wide CC
    I think you have to visit the partially closed pages for park specific on the webpage the ones listed on the front page are ones that are closed entirely no use . This is the link to TP specific , / , WR

8. K-Bo Smack

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,873
    Name:
    Keath
    Leucadia too!

upload_2020-6-2_11-18-56.png

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  9. jonewantsm3

jonewantsm3 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +47
    About 50 yards past the bridge

10. Oceanfire

Oceanfire Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +226
    Name:
    matthew dusa
    Fished TP last night 6/4. Walked right past both the tower and jeep guards with pole in hand. No problems. I asked if they knew of SC beds. They did not. Fished from the bridge North to the first "Wall". No SC, so fished with Crig, and gulp worms. Caught one small YFC, and lost 3 worms. (Hook too big maybe) Talked to a guy that walking south he was casting and spiking the rod in the sand. Said he caught 10 dinks and one good spot fin. So good to be back on the sand!!