TP Finally! 8/10 AM

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing' started by Caballito, Aug 10, 2019.

1. Caballito

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +863
    Finally got my sight fished Corbina. It was my 3rd day of the dawn patrol skunking, trying to make it happen.

Saw him sliding back after feeding on a crab bed. Next set of waves I cast my fly on the the bed and waited for him to cruise up. Strip, strip, strip strike, and I’m on. Nice drag burnin run and some back and forth and slid him up on the sand.

A few casts later and I strip striked on a much larger unit. A little too hard and hung on a little too long and my 14# floro popped.

Both fish were less then 30’ away (shooting head end was in my hand).

Foul hooked a shovel nose and a round ray before walking back to the Jeep. Ran into CON KSO and Baja Traveler, hope you guys got some!

47509618-611F-4DDE-A680-C7ECF941DF04-L.jpg

2. Creek

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +7,969
    Congrats !! I gotta get back on the sand sometime.. My first Corbina three-plus years ago was butt-hooked.. not sure why I found it necessary to write that here.:emoji_joy:

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • List
  3. Neuroshima

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,016
    Congrats! I'm still searching for my first, so I understand your frustration. How was the tide? What height?

4. Caballito

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +863
    Thanks! The tide was rising and almost filled in. I started at gray light and was trying to get further down the beach before the tide stopped. I saw more fish when I got away from the bean clams and onto the normal sand crab beds. Go get one!

5. mcfish

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,702
    Boat:
    fisher marine18
    Nothing better than a corbina on the fly, congrats! It's amazing how big those clam beds are this year! I was on Coronado beach last week and it is solid clam beds up and down the beach, even more than T.P...seems like there's more corbina because of them, especially the juvenile beans!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  6. Slater

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,102
    Nice to get out & make it happen....

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  7. CON KSO

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,165
    Yeah Caballito!!!! Was cool to see you there and stoked you got that monkey off your back. Love the narrative too - Kai and I saw a few slither up onto the beach but we couldn't connect with them.

My monkey is still there because all I got was casting practice - oh did foul hook that one guitar fish and embarrassed myself by saying, "yeah, that's it, that's my corbina off the beach... oh yeah, nice one too" to the gathered yoga-panted crowd who was watching me try to land that monster... oh well.

I had a hard time figuring out where the sand crab beds were - do you dig your toes down to see if you can feel em crawling around or something? All I found were those little lima bean clams.

8. old_rookie

Staff Member SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +5,184
    Way to go!

9. Caballito

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +863
    Is that a huge bend in your rod or were you just glad to be hooked up ? LOL Yeah the crowd was getting bigger by the moment. I felt the disappointment with you.

The crab beds were up on top and had no bean clams on them while I was there. Probably why I had so much action in that particular area. So many pieces to that puzzle.

Let me know if you want company when you get the boat up and running.

10. CON KSO

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,165
    Heck yeah! When I get her all set up I'm gonna need some real advice before I try to launch it - I don't want to make ELMucho into a submarine... I've seen a lot of those "boat launch gone wrong" YouTube vids.

Yes so much to learn and I'm going to just keep chugging away at it - great to run into you man!

11. Chriwilson

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,070
    Good catches ! What flys were you using?
    Torrey can be on and off.

I’ve had the same experiences with back to back skunks, even having them taunt me in the shallows...

I feel the crabs are more prevalent south of the parking lot or north of the channel. Mostly clam beds in between...

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  12. shawnanigans

shawnanigans Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +127
    Nice catch! Been skunked twice at TP now in the hours leading up to sunset. I was fishing past tower 7 and there's plenty of sand crab beds but only a few nibbles and no commits. Gotta give AM a try I guess.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  13. Caballito

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +863
    I’m using a surfin merkin and I got skunked on Sunday morning. I didn’t see any Corbina or any real structure so I guess that makes sense. Oh and I used a longer leader, 7-8’. I don’t know if that made any difference.

You guys that like to fish shovel nose, there are some really big ones out there.

14. Fishtricks

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,900
    That's cool. I miss surf fishing.