Traegers

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Delorian, Aug 18, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Delorian

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,029
    Name:
    Chris
    Who has one? I’m very seriously considering getting one. Likely the Bronson 20 because A money and B I can get a killer deal. I’m not cooking a feast. Just for my family. Can you really blast it to high and grill as normal if I’m in a “I need it now” mode rather than grill/smoke for 45 minutes? All the other reasons are great: smoking, legit bbq etc.

Thanks for any input.

2. Larry M

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +7,977
    Name:
    Larry M
    We have one but never have grilled on it.
    We did a turkey and a prime rib at different times. Just set the temperature and it will feed the pellets to maintain the temperature. I guess that you can set the temperature at max with the lid close for maximum heat. There are youtube videos on it.
    If you get one keep an eye on the pellet hopper to make sure that it has pellets in it. I made that mistake once.
    Get a temperature gauge probes that will send the meat temperatures to your cell phone. I have the Grilleye one with 6 probes. Just stick the probes into the hamburgers for rare, medium, or well done. Your cell phone will show all of the temperatures of the hamburgers. I've never have done it through. But it's nice for doing a roast, just keep checking on the pellets in the hopper and with your cell monitor the internal temperature of the meat from your easy chair from inside of your house. You'll never have to lift up the lid. Ace Hardware sells the pellets if you want the brand name ones that the smoker uses.
    That's all that I know about it. We really like it, we did a prime rib for Christmas.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  3. Slater

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,202
    My 70 year mother has one & loves it!
    I yelled at her years ago when she first bought a cabinet style smoker, "what are you doing mom, it's alot of work, you cant just put food in there & forget about it!!!!!!"
    She showed me!
    Since then she moved on to a Traegar & really enjoys the results.

4. Cyjake111

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,652
    Would not be getting a traeger right about now. Ownership was changed a few years ago and quality of product and customer service suffered due to it. Get a camp chef or green mountain grill. They're 2 of the higher quality pellet smokers at a decently good price point and amazing customer service.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  5. spideyjg

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,033
    I have one but a 3 burner Weber next to it. Each have their role. That said the fact I can make awesome pork spareribs in 6 hours and smoked turkeys at Thanksgiving makes it worth it.

While it can do high heat that eats lots of pellets.

6. tjohnson619

tjohnson619 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +186
    Boat:
    16ft Basstracker
    I have one and it is nice... hottest I have ran is 350... I have 8 outdoor cooking devices including a flat top and a Blackstone Pizza oven

• Like Like x 3
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  7. Larry M

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +7,977
    Name:
    Larry M
    To be honest the assembly instructions are clear as mud. LOL. The parts number in the instructions don't match the pictures. I had to use the trial and error method to assemble it with the nuts and bolts. I called the customers service number and said that according to the instructions I'm missing a couple of nut and bolts set ups. They said that they would send them to me but never did.
    Other than these problems I'm very pleased with its performance.
    We use our portable propane BBQ that we use for camping to cook hamburgers, hot dogs, or steaks. It's just faster for us.
    If you haven't heard of it check out the Grill Daddy for cleaning your grill. You fill it with water, let your grill get hot then open the valve to release some of the water and it turns to steam as you clean the grill. Works very well.
    On the plus side they do send you recipes in your email, but I'm sure other makers do also.

#7 Larry M, Aug 19, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2019
  8. mikecheck1212

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,607
    Sorry to hijack the thread, I don’t have a traeger myself but have thought about getting one..but I do have a nice grill that has a propane side, a charcoal side and a smoke box that I also use as a portable grill...right now I’m dealing with rust..any ideas on how to prevent,repair etc? I have recently seen those aluminum inserts you put in your grill to keep it clean, wish I would’ve thought of those earlier..

9. Larry M

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +7,977
    Name:
    Larry M
    I think that they sell hi-temperature paint for BBQs. Maybe call BBQs Galore for info. Clean up the rust, prime and paint. Just off of the top of my head, never done it myself but our son has.
    The pellet type smokers and grills are pretty much fool proof, just set the temperature, add the pellets, and if you use your cell phone there's not too much more to do.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  10. Werfless

Werfless The Coach
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +40,497
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
    We use it on public BBQs... Rust-Oleum and most of the bigger paint makers have a high temp BBQ and engine paint, it isn't expensive. Might consider going over rust spots with a good rust converter first if you want to keep it gone a lot longer...

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  11. salt water guy

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,561
    Boat:
    Montauk
    • Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  12. spideyjg

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,033
    I got mine there also. I think the Costco Gourmet pellet are funny tasting. Traeger rep said some people fin maple off putting which that has.

You have to be religious about cleaning out ash that accumulates in it. I shop vac after every pellet refill.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  13. fisheromen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +19,030
    Boat:
    1986 Glastron
    I don't think you are supposed to eat those! I could be wrong.

14. spideyjg

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,033
    The label didn't say not to do that. ;)

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  15. HamSupLo

HamSupLo Member

Ratings:
    +80
    Name:
    JDubb
    I can't cook worth a dam, and I have burned my fair share of meats on the grill. I can tell you that for a guy like me, the Traeger has worked great, and I have plenty of folks who now apparently think I can cook. My favorites have to be the pulled pork, ribs, and chicken!!! Very easy, and delicious!

As for quality, I'm sure there are other brands out there that work better, or have more functionality but I haven't been disappointed one bit. Purchased mine at Costco, and it came with an extended warranty for 5 years. Simple to use, and relatively easy to clean (as mentioned, keep it clean)

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  16. fisheromen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +19,030
    Boat:
    1986 Glastron
    upload_2019-8-19_14-36-2.jpeg

17. Larry M

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +7,977
    Name:
    Larry M
    We bougt by ours from one of those tv shopping channels, QVC I believe. So many months to pay it off interest free with free shipping at that time.
    We're had it for about 3 years, no problems so far. We keep the different wood pellets in food grade containers.
    We use the large ones for dog food to keep the pellets in. Keeps the mice out and the moisture.

#17 Larry M, Aug 19, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2019
  18. salt water guy

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,561
    Boat:
    Montauk
    Yeah, I've heard good things too about Traegers. My buddy's is the only Traeger I've personally seen "in action" -- if you want to call it that.

19. Delorian

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,029
    Name:
    Chris
    Thanks everyone for all the info! I swung by Ace Hardware today to put hands on the 20. When you read the dimensions you think "that thing is a toaster oven" but it actually is plenty sizable for just a family.

20. Delorian

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,029
    Name:
    Chris
    C2E0C3AC-0A68-4EA1-B928-BADFA1FA9991.jpeg

I did a thing.

Currently just smoking some eggs for breakfast tomorrow as a quickie. Plan on really putting it to work this weekend.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.