Trainwreck at MP

Discussion in 'Float Tubing' started by Creek, Aug 6, 2019.

1. Creek

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +8,031
    It's days like today that make me think, Are we even supposed to be out here? Here's why..

Met the Capt at 630 this morning under warm, overcast and humid skies. Outside temp was 68.. water temp was.. well, I really don't know. Why is that you ask? Creek, you always let us know what the water temp was. What up? Let me tell you "what up." My #@*#* POS 110 Fishin Buddy, that's what up.

We're gearing up getting ready to go play. I'm all stoked just to be there because last week in almost the very same parking spot, I was just starting to pump up my boat when I feel that slight twinge I get in my lower back every six months or so. I stopped pumping and straightened up right away. Then the pain hit - so hard that it winded me completely. I just kinda looked around all stupid, I'm sure. Doing things at less than a quarter speed and puffing bits of air because I cant take a full breath without sheer pain, I gently lifted the float tube back into the bed of my truck, then went to work on all the other gear that I'd already laid out on the tailgate. Drove home, put all of my gear where its supposed to go, went upstairs, took a hot shower, and began the customary five guaranteed days of painful and awkward convalescence. Pizzed me off royally to miss that session because the tide was incoming at an excellent clip.

Back to this morning.. in the back of my mind I'm thinking about my lumbar spine and how I want to do everything slowly so as not to aggravate it any more. everything went great.. blew up the boat and then went to place all of my other stuff on the tailgate - fins, sonar, hat, shoes and vest. All was done.. and as I grabbed the sonar to get it plugged in (I always plug it in before getting in the water - saves me the grief I give myself when I try to light it up and realize I never hooked it up before I put it in its buddy holder), the top falls completely off the bottom.. and not because it wasn't attached.. because it just plain gave way. And its broken off from both mounting posts. Oh, that's really good. What a fantastic morning I was having. I yell over to Woody (he was parked across from me) and ask him if he brought his sonar. And he responds yes. Then I tell him why I'm asking.. he comes over and kinda chuckles at me. I tell him I have more replacement parts for it at home so I'll be fine, but this trip it looks like I'm fishing blind. For those of you familiar with the Fishin Buddy products, this is what broke..

4.jpg

Just a note.. last time I was there I had reported the water to look like dust had been mixed into it - a copper colored dust. That "dust" was/is a red algae that is now adhered to the sand in shallow water - and maybe even deeper, I dont know. Capt looks at it and says Red Tide. I know what he means and that stuff makes the water near unfishable.

So we're no more than 10 minutes into the water headed out for the area at the yellow sign when I start hearing a bunch of beeps.. Capt looks over at me and asks if by chance I happen to have any new batteries along with me. You're serious? I just started shaking my head. Unbelievable. I bust my sonar altogether and he forgets to drop new batteries in his. Okay. So maybe we're supposed to just get out of the water now and go get breakfast burritos or something, I don't know. What's next? A catastrophic failure of one of our float tubes? Maybe I get bit by a sea lion or something? I'm just waiting for that to happen someday..

Made our way past the yellow sign and immediately started getting pulled into the outgoing current that was swinging its way around the corner against the rocks. Just about killed ourselves fighting out of it. Picked up a double - a pair of Spotties each no more than 11" or so.. but tugged much harder and actually took a little line before I got them in. Shrugged off my skunk. Capt soon thereafter took a small Barracuda (aka Smelly POS). We didnt know it at the time, but that was to be his first and last fish of the day.

2.jpg

Went back to the boats and dragged north between row one and two, then turned around and fished to the inside of the first row so that we could flip toward the shore as well as drag beneath. I took a few decent hits that I didn't connect to, then took a little gift Calico that errantly chased my Clouser. he was no bigger then five inches. Capt asks me why I didn't take a picture of it. :emoji_joy::emoji_middle_finger::emoji_joy:

I blurted out, Where are all the Mullet at? Just then, a Mullet jumps and I get bit. A sub-legal Halibut, but its a fish, and I'll take anything at this point. Capt nets him for me and kicks him loose just as fast. Good job.

3.jpg

Other than a few more decent tugs, that's all we got. Five for me and one for the Capt. I don't remember what my #5 fish was.. not as if it matters.

So I'm home now, all of my gear is rinsed and cleaned.. the reel, line and rod are waxed and ready to go again, and the sonar has been repaired by using genuine replacement parts that I rarely - but occasionally find on eBay. Good to go. I'm going Friday - regardless of the tide - but not to MP. That red algae bloom is just sitting on the bottom waiting for the right water temp to bust loose again.. and I have no interest in fishing there until it is long gone.

2. Werfless

Werfless The Coach
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +39,042
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
    MP hard structure should be holding some tank calicos this time of year.. temps have been about right..

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  3. Creek

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +8,031
    I agree.. but if I go too far around that first corner, I might as well send up a flare for Lifeguards to see me. And if they don't, I guess I could always send up another one for the Coast Guard.

4. Werfless

Werfless The Coach
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +39,042
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
    PM inbound as soon as I get to it...

5. fishfanatic

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,156
    Boat:
    Fishcat 4 Float tube
    Aw shucks, i was waiting for the trainwreck to happen:emoji_frowning2::emoji_grin: