Tranx-200HG first look- Jan-9-2019

Discussion in 'Fishing Tackle' started by Linebig, Jan 9, 2019.

1. Linebig

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +12,021
    Boat:
    Stratos 185XL Pro
    was lucky enough to get a Tranx -200HG sent to me by Shimano. Its my first look at it less photos.

It has a
    7:2-1 ratio being the HG. It Picks up 30in of line per crank.

Its a very sweet looking reel. Its exactly the size as the Curado-K yet it is not a Curado-K. The K is a fresh water reel and the new Tranx-200 is a true salt water small low profile casting reel.

Its silver and back appointments look great. It has a cranking handle so its a nice powerful handle. It has slightly oversized grips as well. When its on a rod it feels like a 200 size reel yet cranks like a larger reel.

Can you say .... small swim baits! Damn!

It has HEG gears not Micro gears. Remember its designed for salt water fish.
    It has core protect and helps keep the salt water corrosion away from the reel.

It has 13 pounds of drag at a full spool of line using only 1 finger to tighten the star washer. That basically means if you crank it down you’ll get 17 pounds easy.

It weighs 8.5 oz and that weight is added from being so beefy inside. On a 7’6 to 8’0 rod you’ll never notice the weight.

It has the micro brake adjustment wheel from 1-6

Black standard spool.

It holds 180 yards #30 braid. That means well over 200 yards most likely pushing 230 yards of max cuatro braided line at #30.

Max Cuatro is 1/4 thinner than its standard braided dia at its equal pound test.

Overall first impressions without casting is this will be a serious reel. Cant wait to put it through the paces this week at the bay.

Bring it on!

4091313D-DB2E-4A53-8BA6-86114E5D5136.png

AD65CC6A-3DBD-430E-AE59-D4B87B805963.png

• Like Like x 9
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  2. Bassmann86

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +642
    The new Tranx 200’s are bad *** little reels. My dad love his, abuses it and it keeps on going.

3. Slater

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,589
    Well Rob, now that you fished it....
    Would you replace your Met Mgl's with it?
    I love my met mgl's but dont see a huge difference between that & the curado dc....
    The newer the reel technology these days, the more you get for less cost...
    Amazing brand!!!

4. Coreygradoville

Coreygradoville Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +183
    Name:
    CAG
    PLEASE post a follow up on how it fishes... cant find too much online about this reel due to it being fairly new. Ive got a K and love it. Im on the fence about getting one... hopefully your report will be the factor of throwing one of my legs over the other side!!

5. Linebig

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +12,021
    Boat:
    Stratos 185XL Pro
    There is a fishing review posted yet I can tell you here that its a sweet reel. Its exactly what you need if you are a salt water guy who likes to fish the bay or if you fish both fresh and salt.

Everything about the reel is for salt. Its sealed exactly as the 300-400 are. Its a small version of those reel. When you remove the spool you’ll understand. Later today I am going to take photos of both reels and that will truly help to understand.

Where its slightly different than the 300-400 Tranx is the braking system. Its the same as the Curado K braking system.

The reel is excellent. As for asking would stop fishing my Met-MGL’s? Hell no. I will also not fish my MGL’s in the salt. Now I have the reel that should be used in that arena

So if you are unsure about this Tranx-200 understand, if you fish salt and you fish the bay or inshore this is your small shimano reel. Stay away from the true fresh water reels. You’ll be very happy.

6. Coreygradoville

Ratings:
    +183
    Name:
    CAG
    Just what I needed to hear. Thanks!!!

7. Coreygradoville

Ratings:
    +183
    Name:
    CAG
    Pulled the trigger. Got the HG. Cant wait to fish it. I love the curado K's but I would never fish mine in the salt. Pretty stoked.

8. Linebig

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +12,021
    Boat:
    Stratos 185XL Pro
    Nicely done! Enjoy!

9. Laborator

Laborator Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Just received mine, any recommendations on braid size, I have 50# braid that ithink is too heavy.

10. Linebig

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +12,021
    Boat:
    Stratos 185XL Pro
    Depends on what you are going to use it for? I use 30 as my go to braid size. If frogging or A-rigs 50 is fine.