Tranx 500PG - Rod Pairing Recommendation Please

Discussion in 'Private Boaters and General Saltwater' started by FishNinja, May 11, 2019.

1. FishNinja

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +134
    i just got a BNIB Tranx 500PG

Now I’m looking to buy a rod for it. Plan is to fish Yellows and Tuna. Surface Irons, Yoyo and live bait.

Please give your recommendation and why.
    Thanks

2. Fat Spottie

Fat Spottie Evolved Pinhead
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +9,577
    Name:
    None Either
    Boat:
    Hobie PA-14
    How much money are you going to be paying? If it’s any rod any price I have a vague idea what you could do. Aside from that I cant really tell yah anything.

Assuming you could do anything, for starters.. keep in mind that yo-yo rods are typically 30-80 or 50-100lb needed, shorter rods to turn fish on 40-80lb line. Jig sticks are longer rods meant to chuck 1.5oz to 4oz jigs... their longer and rated 20-60lb to load up right.. and then bait sticks are designed with a light tip to cast .5oz to 2oz. Each rod has a very different purpose and fishes differently.

SS 93J or BWC 90J Mag would be my pick of you wanted the longer rods. Only rod rods that have the backbone to double as a yo-yo on top of being able to throw a surface iron. Frankly a yo-yo rod should be a 7ft or 6.5ft beef stick to bully fish on 50 or 60lb. What we fish locally and even down to Colonet can be fished on 50lb on a Baja Special and be stopped on their tracks. The 90J mag is okay as a 30lb long rod... sucks using a long rod in the flyline without experience beforehand though. Also the rod isn’t the beefiest of sticks... it fishes hard but doesn’t have the tip for a heavier yo-yo rod. A 93J Ulua is going to have the beef for a yo-yo, and loads up pretty well. But then again... you loose that live bait tip. Both options suck as an overall rod but that is the closest thing I can think of to what you would want.

CalStar has a 8ft 30-80lb Graphiter that could work. On the cheaper side rainshadow has this 8’9ft stick that they advertise for surface irons and a heavier baitstick that sounds reasonable. M&M have a couple laying around the shop from the last time I was in there.

Long story short doing all of that with one rod is hard. Sucks too out of experience.
    The only thing I really like about my TranX 500 is that it makes for a really good popper reel with 80lb braid... however it is the HG.

Price makes it hard to dictate what you want and the general range of what you are trying to do with one rod is hard to do.

#2 Fat Spottie, May 11, 2019
    Last edited: May 11, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  3. Epaleo

Epaleo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +120
    Calstar 6480 or UC 800 Monster. Ive done all 3 with these rods from a private boat.

4. Fat Spottie

Fat Spottie Evolved Pinhead
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +9,577
    Name:
    None Either
    Boat:
    Hobie PA-14
    RUS or RCE 800? The last rod I would recommend for a yo-yo is a composite rod.

5. Epaleo

Epaleo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +120
    RUS80 Monster.

6. fishboy92

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,492
    900wahoo

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1