Trash Fish II..La Revancha...

Discussion in 'General Fishing' started by carpkiller, Aug 2, 2020.

1. carpkiller

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,799
    Avoiding the thread jack on that other board....about saltwater sport fish vs trash fish.

And some facts about the noble god of all freshwater gamefish, the Largemouth Bass.

Disclaimer: I do not have experience catching large bass. But a 2 pound carp is usually a much tougher fight than a similar sized bass. And my biggest LMB, which was maybe...maybe....7 pounds...if it had been a carp I never would have landed it, because carp are so much stronger and smarter when hooked.

Thesis: The entire 'sport' of bass fishing was invented by mass marketers of bass fishing gear.

Well into the 1950s, trout were considered the only proper fish for sportsmen to pursue. Catfish were --and still are-- the target of most US fishermen. Bass were table fare, but most people preferred the taste of catfish.

So what happened between 1950 and the early sixties?

People realized that if they wanted to make money by selling fishing tackle to people in all 48 states, you must do 3 things:

Number One is to promote fishing for a species that thrives everywhere and doesn't require much skill to catch. That ain't trout. And it ain't fly fishing.

Number Two. Focus on marketing new, improved tackle to target your newly crowned king of freshwater sportfish. Which means buying LOTS of ads in outdoor magazines. And those magazines would love to help, and feature an ever-growing number of cover shots and articles on bass fishing, and stuffing ads for bass lures, bass boats, bass rods and reels into their pages. How much does it cost to buy gear to fish for catfish? Carp? And how often does new gear come out that revolutionizes fishing for those species? Answers: Twenty bucks. Twenty bucks. And never.

Number Three. Keep bringing out and publicizing NEW! IMPROVED! tackle to catch bass, which now live in all 50 states. Someone in Japan or Hawaii or the midwest develops a new lure or presentation (that DOES work, btw) ...wind up the promotional machine and make sure that if someone reads about the wonder wanker, you have a version of it in your catalog/website, in as many colors and sizes possible.

Sure, there's specialized tackle and even boats for hunting salmon in the PNW, trolling for walleye on the Great Lakes, chasing crappie where they are abundant, and ice fishing for all kinds of different fish. But if you want a business plan that will make you very, very rich, and can keep the cashflow dripping all year long, you need the biggest customer base possible. That means Largemouth Bass.

Look at the cover of Field & Stream through the years. When did bass start appearing there? Hmm. Right around the time Cabela's started their catalog sales. Sears (half of whose business was catalog sales) hired Ted Williams and put his name on their line of fishing gear. Because, after all, there were no pro bass fishermen back then. Gander Mountain and Bass Pro Shops came along. And Forrest Wood started building bass boats, which were the best tools for people entering bass tournaments. Yeah, for regular guys who like bass fishing, too, but just like the automakers....Win on Sunday, Sell on Monday. Bass fishing is, first and foremost, a business.

More why bass.....?

Bass can survive being caught multiple times. And they do well in a live well, which means you can bring 'em back for a weigh-in...giving the guys decked out in their sponsor-logo fishing jumpsuits a chance to pose and promote their sponsors' gear. All sports-related businesses do it, from bicycling to bass fishing to car and motorcycle racing to...you name it.
    Corazon_Hot_Dog_Eating_Contest_DSC_3341-1024x683.jpg

There are millions and millions of rea$on$ why bass are the king of freshwater sport fish. But if you understand how they got there, maybe we'd see a little less hating on people who catch and eat bass...and have better bass fisheries as a result. More big fish in every local water tank. Of course, even dumb bass get smarter after being caught a few times....so the skilled fishermen (bait and lure) are still going to get the big fish. Arguing for 100 percent catch-and-release is really just saying "I don't have the chops to catch the big ones, so gimme a bunch of stupid clones." Which would be my position if I fished on the local reservoirs.

Don 't get me wrong, I love trying to learn new ways to catch green bass, and if I had the time and the budget, I would buy EVERY new bass lure/rod/reel and be fishing all the time. And I'd still suck at it.

And don't get me wrong, the guys who hone their bass fishing skills absolutely will catch more, bigger fish and win tournaments. I took this pommy ******* fishing in a local drainage ditch, showed him the spots most likely to hold bigger fish and he got a 4.5 pound bass....a pound and a half bigger than anything I'd ever caught there. Was he lucky? No. He has mad fishing skills.
    20200802_005204[1].jpg
    Bottom line. LMB don 't deserve to be on the pedestal some kids put 'em on. They breed like cockroaches, they never need to be stocked after the initial plant, anybody can catch 'em, there are far too many in our local lakes (to the detriment of the fishery). When more people get that, the better things will be for all of us fishermen.

• Like Like x 7
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • List
  2. Werfless

Werfless The Coach ..RIP my friends
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +50,309
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
    Let's face it, carpkiller .. carp are probably the real premier gamefish in F/W anyway... Nice post

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  3. bendopolo

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +505
    Maybe it is just fun to catch Bass....just like any other fish.

5833FCA5-504D-4147-82F2-D64FC5B37A00.jpeg

4. kyle12345

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,669
    Name:
    Kyle
    In Europe they are to my understanding.

5. Everydog

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +608
    That does it , i'm throwing all my bass up on the bank with all the carp, "for the coyotes". We all know they don't taste good(wink wink).

And why aren't bass farmed for food? Too many calories to pounds of weight in the conversion factor. They don't eat plants, grain, raw sewage, or trash from meat processing plants?

#5 Everydog, Aug 2, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2020
  6. Werfless

Werfless The Coach ..RIP my friends
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +50,309
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  7. fisheromen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +23,314
    Boat:
    1986 Glastron
    My grandpa and all my great uncles considered carp a nuisance fish. When they would catch one they threw it up on the bank. They were cat fishermen. I spent many a day on the bank of those long points in lake Ferguson.

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  8. Queue

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,704
    Boat:
    SR-18
    Attrition due to habitat/water quality degradation and stream channelization which eliminated the native Salmonids (Atlantic Salmon/Brown Trout) and Esocids (Pike). North America is headed in the same direction of evolution. We’re a couple hundred years behind Europe.

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  9. bassgalrascal

Staff Member SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,037
    In Europe the king of sport fish is the carp. There are carp reserves where you can pay or buy a membership to fish. There are lots of boily bags, rods, reels, clothes, even chairs and tables all marketed for the avid carp angler. If there is some way to market something for carp over there, even if it's running shoes, a hat or an umbrella, somebody will do it. I have caught a lot of carp, mostly out of the San Luis Rey river on a Carolina rigged half a night crawler, and they are fun to catch. And I caught a 9 pound one on a crankbait once during a tournament on Lake Hodges. I can assure you that I would have rather it been a bass of the same weight, due to the circumstances. I think that what makes bass fishing so much fun is how involved we actually get, thinking up bait and presentation strategies. Pretty sure I caught my 9 pounder because he accidentally intersected my crankbait...but maybe not. One of the hooks was partially in his mouth. But let's face it, most carp fishing consists of soaking a pre-made bait that is attached to a rig that is resting on a pole holder. I'm not knocking soaking baits. Once in a while, I just want to sit back in a lawn chair and do nothing while the tackle just chills. But usually, I want to cast, reel, be interactive, and I think that is the biggest attraction to bass fishing. All the carp I caught in the San Luis Rey river were caught by casting the rig upstream and working it downstream through pools, eddies and back currents. I tried some carp baits, both home made and commercial, but have never caught carp on any of those. For the river, crawlers, it was, and as a bonus, I picked up catfish and bass on those too.

10. Chriwilson

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,620
    So, for us uninformed, what is the meat and taste comparison of carp to catfish?

I would just assume that a nice mustard cornmeal batter that works great on catfish would also turn out some great carp nuggets ?

11. Bird334

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +826
    People have told me carp isn't bad, it just has way too many bones

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  12. Chriwilson

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,620
    Interesting ...
    I may target them sometime this fall when the Tuna bit wanes just to satisfy curiosity.

I have watched a couple YouTube’s where they had a jon boat rigged with strobe lights. They practically filled a trash can full from the fish that jumped into the boat...

13. AzImport

AzImport Living Customs Violation
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +5,468
    Darn near every way I've heard of preparing carp involves being on a grill or in an oven whole, and diving in from there. Solves the problem of tons of bones, and its vaguely satisfying to just go ham and tear into a fish.

With the kid starting preschool at the end of the month I'll be spending a lot of my new-found free time scouting freshwater, so with any luck lol

14. kyle12345

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,669
    Name:
    Kyle
    Smoke em.

15. Queue

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,704
    Boat:
    SR-18
    16176C3F-E734-4E26-9EF7-64001E1E1DBB.jpeg
    In case you are unaware...

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  16. fisheromen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +23,314
    Boat:
    1986 Glastron
    Bones, bones and more bones!

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  17. fisheromen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +23,314
    Boat:
    1986 Glastron
    Which end do you light? (rim shot)

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  18. fisheromen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +23,314
    Boat:
    1986 Glastron
    Pretty sure BGR was speaking in the past tense. Is crawdadding considered fishing?

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  19. bassgalrascal

Staff Member SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,037
    Haven't fished the San Luis Rey in about ten years, so no I wasn't aware. But there was a time when the DFG stocked it with rainbow trout, and I fished it a lot in those days. The best carp fishing was in the 90s.

20. Queue

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,704
    Boat:
    SR-18
    Yes

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List