Triggerfish catch and cook! And report

Discussion in 'Private Boaters and General Saltwater' started by Tnel73, Feb 1, 2019.

1. Tnel73

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,112
    Got the all clear and jumped on the DD today. For a great day of fishing. Caught a (in captains words) a decent size triggerfish. And the only reason why I caught it was because it took its time chomping little bits of my squid head down until it basically snagged itself in the (VERY LITTLE) lip it has, with the tip of my hook on it's lip. I subsequently decided to set the hook at the exact right moment. Which in tern means I caught a fairly larger then large triggerfish.

Now that that's over I will say JEZZ that is one THOUGH scaled fish. Very hard skin/scales. It all pays off tho once your through, and get that perfectly triangle shape filets off. (Cheers to you Chad great job)
    Now on to the cooking part! WHAT A DELICIOUS FISH. It taste and resembles a treefish filet. Solid, tasty, firm, perfect! I'm totally hooked now; entranced in the thought of catching thoes fish. From reasearching them I see there usually in congregations and in numbers once you find them you have a good chance to keep catching them. The only problem is there TINY mouths. Honestly you would have to use a mosquito trebble hook or a tiny bluegill hook on a dropper loope to actually catch them! But what a good fight they give on light tackel. I'm totally stocked on the new species. And basically a new fishery in all aspects. Anybody know there limit...Werfless? Can't find our local one for some reason ( I figured I'd find it pretty easily) but not today at least. I'm sorry no photo as I left my phone in my truck before getting on board!
    But today's sculpin and bass bite in general was of great quality. Many toads were landed plus a guy next to me pulled up a 10-15lb Ling (obviously released). Weather was great, there was NOBODY else out there. We anchored once and caught fish ALL DAY. Out of 24 anglers only about 15-18 fished and we had great success. At least 3x as many "just short" were released. Filled a few others bags as the day progressesed before deciding I'd take some home as well. Water was perfectly clear! And the 1st of march was on everyone's lips. Great day fishing the calm before the storm. Cheers everyone! Thanks for your read sorry again for no photos. Still kicking myself for that one mistake. And hopefully something in this report puts a drive in someone else as much as I'm driven to hopefully catch more. What a cool fish. WAY COOLER THEN WHITFISH!

2. Werfless

Werfless The Coach
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +36,795
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
    Limit on triggers? Straight ten.. want the key to a limit? Small circle hooks and patience would be my guess.. solid work there....

3. Mogambo

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,320
    Name:
    Al
    Boat:
    19 foot Sea Pro
    As a young kid, a local farmer had a cabin in San Luis Gonzaga, Sea of Cortez. About twice a year he would round up some of his son’s friends and fly us down in his plane. We would pick up a guide in San Felipe while gassing up and then launch his boat when we got to Gonzaga. We fished in the bay off Punta Final in 150’ of water yo-yoing 16 oz Diamond Jigs. We caught a lot of nice red snapper but for some reason all I ever caught is triggerfish. It got so bad they all started calling me “Pigfish Al”...even the guide that didn’t speak English. We never kept them because the guide said they weren’t good to eat. I guess the point of this story is that in some way those little mouths could latch onto the big 16oz Diamond Jig treble hook.

• Like Like x 4
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  4. B8DHOOK

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,690
    Puertocitos, Loreto, Mulege, etc etc, non stop triggerfish all up and down Baja. They chew your gear to shreds but pretty good eating once you carve an outline around their leather skin. I think you’d be hard pressed trying to target them specifically around these parts. You just don’t see them being caught very often. Down south they’re everywhere and you can’t get away from them.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  5. Fat Spottie

Fat Spottie Evolved Pinhead
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +8,923
    Name:
    None Either
    Boat:
    Hobie PA-14
    God dammm it why do I have this thing called school.

On another note I’m waiting for this thing called 68 degree water in May.... the itch is horrible right now.

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List