Trout Bobber set-ups, whats your favorite?

Discussion in 'Trout' started by Aby N, Dec 2, 2019.

1. Aby N

Aby N Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +135
    Hello,

Over previous years fishing i see people who have had decent success when fishing a bobber set-up. When i have tried it, ehh... not sure if i caught anything. i use a mouse tail with a #10 hook.

I generally thread the line thru a basic bobber, use a clear plastic line stopper with 2 ft of line to a #10 hook.

For people who have a go-too bobber set-up, how do you rig it? how much leader, hook size. is there a preffered boo\bber over others? clear vs red/white vs yellow / long bobbers?

I typically use 2 pound test.

Please feel free to post pics for clarification.

after getting worn out rthowing a mini jig, i just dont want to revert to power bait dough...unless the fish are keying into that!

Thanks

2. weldon

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,839
    Try a "Rattlin' Bob" It's your basic round bobber filled with #9 shot. Give it a twitch with a small crappie jig about 2-3 ft down from the bobber and it rattles as a fish attractant as the jig slowly moves down. Or you can make one by sticking a heated finishing nail through the side, take bird shot from an old shotgun shell, stick it through the hole and seal the hole with super glue or Shoe Goop. :emoji_wink:

3. Werfless

Werfless The Coach ..RIP my friends
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +48,751
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
    I like a casting bubble on six lb (light braid works fine too).. three foot (longer if needed) leader of choice to a number 8/10 hook baited with a hand dug worm. Fill the bubble almost entirely with water, and it will have a very slow sink rate. This rig can absolutely cast an incredible distance, and that worm sinking through the water column painfully slowly can trigger some savage strikes

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  4. F1$H

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +565
    Boat:
    Hobie Revo 13
    Putting a dry fly 4 feet behind a casting bubble has yet to fail me, at least at dixon. If they are there they will go for dry flies.

5. Titos334

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +900
    There's a lot of different 'bobber' setups to use depending on the conditions and lure/bait being used.

My most used for local lakes would be the clear casting bubble. Think of the bubble as the sliding weight in a carolina rig. This can be used to fish the bottom with bait, retrieve lures, or fish the surface depending on what you want to do. To do this you'll need a hook/lure, 18"-48" leader, a tiny swivel and your casting bubble.

The bubble excels on the bottom in weeds/grass because the weight is almost all water so when it sinks down it only has the weight of the clear plastic and so will actually sit on the weeds rather thank sink in if using a lead sinker. This rig kills for fishing powerbait, I use a tiny hook like size 18 and a small ball of dough. It also works well casting and slowly slowly retrieving a nightcrawler or wooly bugger.

If fish are up top you can use the same rig just make sure there's a little air in the bubble so it floats. I've crushed trout on the surface fishing powerbait or you can put a small dry fly or nymph instead of bait and fish it that way i've done very well at times doing this.

The second most common type of bobber, those vertical long skinny ones, are slip bobbers. Slip bobbers use a little thread or bobber stop to let you fish below the bobber a specific depth for suspended fish. This type of fishing is extremely common/popular in Big Bear where fish will stay at specific depths. It's pretty simple you just need the bobber, a stop, and your hook/bait. First you either put the bobber stop on or some kits come with a little knot thing, put that on your line however many feet above the hook you want the bait to suspend. Then put on the bobber and then lastly your bait. If you want your bait 6ft below the bobber just move the stop up and when you cast out the bobber will float up until it hits the stop and you'll know exactly how far down your bait is and still be able to cast without having this long mess.

6. fishes

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +207
    Name:
    Chris
    I want to try this out this season. Any dry fly recommendations?

7. Titos334

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +900
    For stillwater lakes like around here I'd go with whats called terrestrial patterns basically little beetles, grasshopper(hoppers) ants, mosquitoes etc. I've done very well when trout are boiling on little black foam beetles. If you wanted to get fancy you could have your dry beetle on top and run 2-3ft below it and have like zebra midge or other nymph or san juan worm.

This is basically the foam beetle I like: Foam-Beetle-Black-Peacock_1024x1024.jpg

#7 Titos334, Dec 3, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2019
  8. Kesepton

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +646
    I used to use the clear bobbers and slip bobbers but I hated missing strikes and not being able to see my bobber. So often I would go to recast and their would be a fish with no indication on my rod/line or would go to set the hook when the bobber went down but have so much slack in my line I would miss it.

IF I decide I will be using a bobber that day, I usually bring a long rod (7ft plus) and I want my line to be in direct contact with my lure. I will use a fly type bubble where you tie your line on both ends of it or I will tie a swivel and on like a Carolina rig but with no weight. I then attach the bobber to the swivel so it will not move and wont damage my line. If you are fishing 2# main line, this is the best way. 3ft of line with a small jig. I cast it out pause, reel a little, pause etc. This causes the jig to swing back under the bobber every time you pause. The more you reel, the farther it will travel till it gets back under the bobber. You can go longer on the leader too if you want. I usually start at 3ft then move to 4ft, 5ft, etc depending on what the fish want.

Casting bubbles will get very heavy, even the smallest ones, when full. Those weighted foam ones are only a few bucks for half a dozen. Unless you are very careful you will break them off easily. And if youre just lobbing it, youre not getting the maximum distance possible. Its an effective strategy for later in the trout season and I used to use it myself. Nice big night crawler casted out as far as you can and just wait for the bite.