Trout Opening Weekend 11/3,11/4

Discussion in 'Trout' started by RangerGreg, Oct 31, 2012.

1. RangerGreg

SDFish VIP Site Sponsor

Ratings:
    +24
    Santee Lakes will be hosting its Trout Opener this weekend. 11/3 & 11/4. Park opens at 6:00 am. Lakes 2, 3 & 4 will all be stocked with Rainbow Trout including tagged Trout and HUGE Trout worth cash and prizes! The top 5 largest Trout caught over the 2 day opener will win some awesome prizes. Come get your share of the 2,500 lbs. of Rainbow Trout as well as some great prizes.

2. Dragonfly

Dragonfly Active Member

Ratings:
    +0
    How many of you plan to fish Santee lakes this weekend? How is it opening day for those who have fished the opener?

3. Bassin_Rob

Bassin_Rob Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +10
    Sucked!!!!!!!!!! I didn't see anyone catch anything. Only action i saw was a few kids with a big treble hooks tied on snagging fish and crossing peoples lines. A lot of people were not happy. Is 5 dollars to park and 9 dollars to fish really necessary. That's a complete joke to fish a few ponds.

4. Dragonfly

Dragonfly Active Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for report Rob. Sorry to hear it was a bad day :( I'm glad I went to Otay. I was thinking it would be slow at Santee(Fishing wise). Doesn't it take a few days for the trout to get acclimated after being bounced in a dfg truck and dumped. Trout are fragile, right? I usually don't fish for them at the start of the season. Just seems too crazy with people. Like you said, "crossing lines" and "unhappy people". I was curious and had to ask. Hope your next outing is much better!

5. Bassin_Rob

Ratings:
    +10
    I very rarely fish for trout but figured a change of pace for once would be fun. Needless to say, i thought wrong.
    Yes, they obviously did not have adequate time to get acclimated because of how sluggish the fish were. They were just sitting in the shallows getting snagged by a bunch of idiots. I would assume the fishing was better today, due to them having more time to get used to the new environment.

6. Dragonfly

Dragonfly Active Member

Ratings:
    +0
    That's real too bad and I hate to hear about people snagging fish. It reminds me of when I was just a young kid. I snagged some catfish. A old guy saw me with them and asked what I used. I told him just a hook. He said you snagged them? I said " yeah, I guess" he commented I wasn't good enough to catch them the right way and laughed! That's stuck with me ever since!

7. BIGG RYNO

BIGG RYNO Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +28
    This is the forth year this has happened on opening day.. I'm not to sure why the trout are like that but alot of people go just to sit all day and get skunked.
    Thats why i chose to go get yellowtail on Saturday... :D

8. Bassin_Rob

Ratings:
    +10
    Good decision RYNO I went last year and got a nice one and lost a few nice ones as well. Thats why i thought it would be fun to go out and do something different for a change. But 14 dollars to fish in a pond isn't worth it and ill never go back.

9. evo8rcr

evo8rcr Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0
    All lakes in sd charge for the most part between launch fees and daily permits whats the difference? Im going to camp next weekend at santee lakes with my 6yr old son and his boy scout pac..not much choice...gonna have to school the other parents on how to catch fish they have a little tourney,....gonna show my boy whats up...if i can fish with the sd big boys whats. Few boy scout kids lol...anyone from here going?

10. Bassin_Rob

Ratings:
    +10
    The difference this is 14 dollars to fish a POND with wall to wall fishermen who will cross your lines and be complete idiots.

11. evo8rcr

Ratings:
    +0
    Ive taken my kids to santee lakes and have never seen it packed like that nor can i ever think of my lines getting crossed

12. fastdc5

fastdc5 Active Member

Ratings:
    +0
    good thing i didnt go. i get irritated with lines everywhere. any lake with large mouth bass hitting at the moment beside diamond?

13. evo8rcr

Ratings:
    +0
    Every lake has large mouth hitting!!!