Trout season approaching

Discussion in 'Trout' started by RippinLips619, Sep 15, 2013.

1. RippinLips619

RippinLips619 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +182
    Who is ready for some trout fishing, what lakes are the best for trout fishing

2. Live Action

Live Action Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I hear santee and poway are premo spots. Im ready to start throwing some big swim baits! :D

3. Kellen

Kellen Owner
    Staff Member

Ratings:
    +5,833
    I think it depends on what you're looking for. Chance at a BIG fish? Chance at a quick limit? Less crowds? Easy shoreline access? Etc..

A couple of the local lakes have also invested in supporting our community on SDFish, and that alone shows they're dedicated to YOU. Those being;

Santee Lakes - Easy shoreline access. Puts in a LOT of fish, including some trophies. Has a prize system in place to reward anglers with prizes for catching tagged trout.

Lake Jennings - Great campground, stocks regularly with lots of catchable sized fish. Can rent boats to get away from the shoreline crowds and catch em on a variety of ways. Great staff.

Lake Morena - A great place to get away from the crowds and the fishing is usually top notch out there when they stock. They put in some biguns, and get stocks from both private hatcheries and the DFG, so there are almost always fresh fish going in.

4. jesse_james13

jesse_james13 Active Member

Ratings:
    +25
    Although it can get pretty cold, lake cuyamaca is one of my favorite places to fish if I am camping. Easily the most scenic lake around here. Although if I am just fishing for the day, I would probably go to poway. Great trout fishing there

5. Meezer_Man

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,397
    Boat:
    SeaEagle 9
    Is Miramar getting stocked with trout this fall?

6. Kellen

Kellen Owner
    Staff Member

Ratings:
    +5,833
    I wouldn't count on trout in Miramar, but I did send off an email to Lori to see what she says.

7. Kellen

Kellen Owner
    Staff Member

Ratings:
    +5,833
    Lake Jennings will stock some larger trout this season, up to 12 pounds. Typically they just stock 1-2 pounders, but will add 3-12 pounders this year also.

And they have plans to stock lightning trout in the spring for those that haven't crossed one of those off your angling check list yet.

8. RippinLips619

Ratings:
    +182
    I haven't had the best luck at santee, my go to lake is Dixon because of the tailwalkers best fighting trout in my opinion, how did you find about lake Jennings stocking lightning trout?

9. Kellen

Kellen Owner
    Staff Member

Ratings:
    +5,833
    The City of San Diego confirmed they will not be stocking trout in Miramar this season, same as last year. However, the CA DFW may put some of theirs in.

There is absolutely no way to know when, how often, or even confirm for sure if they will stock it though. The trout from the DFW are also the smaller variety, better suited for feeding bass and catfish than they are for catching and eating.

10. RippinLips619

Ratings:
    +182
    in regarding miramar being stocked by the dfw is that the trout are going to be small which means ring the dinner bell for the bass,

11. Meezer_Man

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,397
    Boat:
    SeaEagle 9
    Thanks for info Kellen. I go there all the time for catching trout and bass. I just go to Lake Dixon for trout fishing.