Trump caves!

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by scisports, Jan 25, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. scisports

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +8,467
    The conservative talking heads are giving Trump a tongue lashing! Through his own incompetence he created the shutdown, and now more of his base is starting to turn.

Very glad to see our federal employees will be getting duly compensated for their civil service to their country, and that our airports will be safer for it.

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Disagree Disagree x 7
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  2. Medicated fisherman

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,281
    You guys call for him to end the shut down. He does then you take shots at him for ending it. You guys are a real joke.

• Agree Agree x 14
    • Funny Funny x 3
    • List
  3. chris cox

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +365
    I am president trumps base and i am not even beginning to turn. President trump underestimated one critical fact, the democrats in power do not care about the american people, they could do this all day every day. All our borders should have walls period. If you democrats are really so offended by walls, go home... grab a screwdriver and pull your front door off the hinges. Lets see how sound you sleep at night. Hypocrites!

• Agree Agree x 13
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  4. VinnyBass

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +10,099
    "So you guys call for an end"...Who are you guys? So you yourself wanted the government to stay shut down and have our Federal workers to continue to suffer? So it was ok to punish America Federal workers because he could not get funding for a wall? Funny at several of his campaign rallies he said "Mexico was going to pay for the wall" and then later demands hard working United States taxpayers to pay for the wall. How soon many of you have forgot Trump's own words.
    Thank God the shut down is over. It should not be a question of you guys...........if so, as you stated above, that would mean that "you guys" wanted the shut down to continue?
    Just asking a question?

#4 VinnyBass, Jan 25, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  5. Medicated fisherman

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,281
    You guys I meant those that constantly called for Trump to open the government then play "Gotch ya" when he opens it. I guess that is all some have when they can't gleefully anounce how long the shut down and how bad Trump is for the shut down.

6. Chriwilson

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,298
    According to the voting results a few (R) Senators wanted this to end as well.

In the end, a net zero gain, unfortunately...

I still have yet to understand, if the wall was such an importance, especially since Mexico was going to pay; why couldn’t the (R) trifecta get a deal done ?

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  7. VinnyBass

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +10,099
    Any President is there to lead our great country and carry out actions that will hopefully make things better for
    all Americans. He has the right to shut down the government, as all Presidents can do, but what bothered me was that the wall funding he wanted was going to come from us taxpayers and not going to come from Mexico as promised at least 20 times since 2015. Not one cent. Glad it is over and glad we can debate...but overall, it is better to have our Federal workers working again. That is good news and should be good news for both political parties.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  8. Larry M

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +7,964
    Name:
    Larry M
    Probably for the same reason that when President Obama was holding all of the cards he didn't get immigration reform done. I'm not putting down President Obama or President Trump but seems that's just how government works, or doesn't work.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  9. VinnyBass

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +10,099
    You hit in on the head.....no President in office can perform miracles.
    Too many promises can later bite you in the @** sometimes. :)

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  10. Medicated fisherman

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,281
    Well lets start with the constant badgering by the media. It's hard to fight for something when the other party colludes with the media to control the narative in both news and entertainment. The dems know this that is why Pelosi cancelled the SOTU. She couldn't let 50 million viewers hear the other side. Also people were suffering and the government needed to be reopen. Neither side enjoyed that. I guess you guys did get your way for now but good luck next month if Pelosi doesn't negotiate on something she supported before it became politically beneficial for her to be against it, the dems will be the ones responsable for the next shut down.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  11. Chriwilson

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,298
    Actually, allow me to remind you that it was again Trump who couldn’t put his ego aside and muttered that ultimatum. In all of his history, honestly tell me that Trump can strike a fair deal ?

There ultimately MUST be compromise from both ends or we’ll be in for one heckuva ****-storm.

What I hope they have taken into account is that when his emergency proclamation immediately lands in court, alternate facts and misleading statements won’t hold up.

He will have to be explicit with his numbers and provide contextualization to support his biased claims. Conjuring numbers and hoping they stick wouldn’t even pass judge Wapner let alone his judges...

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  12. Larry M

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +7,964
    Name:
    Larry M
    Let's just let everyone in, then if something happens we can be reactive instead of proactive.

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  13. scisports

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +8,467
    Like many of the shenanigans in the last 2 years, he put himself in it, and he couldn’t get himself out.

Most times, he grandstands an extreme position, then usually caves. Shutdown, family separation at border, tougher gun control, spending bill March 2018. “Biggest wimp to ever serve as president” by Ann Coulter.... ouch....

I commend him for correcting his mistake for shutting down the govt. don’t think his republican subsidized media base does...

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  14. fisheromen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +18,988
    Boat:
    1986 Glastron
    I don't think anyone expected Mexico to write a check. There are many ways for Mexico to "pay".

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  15. Bobber

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,568
    This is an observation not an attempt to take sides.

I remember Obama saying Trump would be in for a rude awakening when he tried to implement his plans. Obama said he had big plans to - most of which were quickly shut down never to be heard from again. Presidents have little power.

16. AzImport

AzImport Living Customs Violation
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,481
    I seem to recall there was a law introduced to take funding out of the executive and legislative branches while ensuring the various government agencies get funded while the lawmakers lose their paychecks. I wasn't a fan at all of the shutdown, but frankly? The President clearly stated what he was looking for, and offered an extension of DACA as a compromise. He was completely ignored, and thus the shutdown went on. He made an offer. He asked Democrat leaders to the table to negotiate. He made an attempt to get it over quickly. He did not try to drag this one out. He, and many Republican leaders stayed in Washington, while Democrats were seen going to far-flung places. Staying out of Washington. Staying away from the negotiating table. Letting the shutdown continue. Trump may have pushed his position too far. Which hey. Presidents do that all the time. This is the first President though who has been so universally maligned in the media. At least, he is actually trying to stand by his promises when so many others never try.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  17. VinnyBass

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +10,099
    Lets go back....There were tens of thousands at his campaign rallies(which he held many of them) screaming with joy when he would tell them Mexico was going to pay for the wall. Then probably millions more who heard that message via TV, the internet or published pieces heard him say Mexico is going to pay for the wall. Those words most likely inspired millions and millions more to think he was a absolute genius to build a wall and we(taxpayers) would not have to pay for it. So what you are saying is you don't think anyone expected Mexico to write a check or pay for the wall? There were a lot of naive people out there that believed it and why not....it sounded so good at the time.
    Waiting for him to tell us the ways for Mexico is going to pay for it............wait for it..........still waiting...................................................................................................................................

#17 VinnyBass, Jan 26, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2019
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  18. scisports

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +8,467
    That maligned media, exactly. Ann Coulter, Rush Limbaugh, the names go on :) They all hate that he ended the shutdown, instead of commending the decision to make our federal employees whole and improve safety at airports. Doesn’t that tell you something?

He had 2 years to get his funding with control of everything, couldn’t close the deal. The self professed master of the deal is out of his league.

Hard to see how he will get what he wants without real compromise.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  19. fisheromen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +18,988
    Boat:
    1986 Glastron
    This is a mistaken notion. There were too many Rhinos who feared that siding with Trump would cost them their jobs, come election day. Cowards!

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  20. fisheromen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +18,988
    Boat:
    1986 Glastron
    Well I am not a genius when it come to economics... or anything else, but stopping the flow of American $$$ back to Mexico has to account for something. Also the $$$ saved in social programs, now spent on Mexicans, would be significant. Would that translate to Mexico "paying"? Maybe not.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List