Trump caves!

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by scisports, Jan 25, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bender0240

bender0240 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +62
    It doesn't seem fishy to the Trump side of the argument that he had full control of the government for 2 years and waits to within days of the Dems taking control of the house to push for funding for his wall?

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  2. VinnyBass

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +10,136
    Maybe not... maybe so...
    Thanks for your input :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  3. fisheromen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +19,014
    Boat:
    1986 Glastron
    See post #19

4. bender0240

Ratings:
    +62
    Ah I missed it. So I guess it's not fishy at all, just blatant. He knew he couldn't get it passed with his own party so he waited for the dems to have some control so at least he could blame them when it failed.

Does anyone have reputable sources that point to a wall being effective (without having border patrol officers being stationed every 5 miles?) It seems incredibly expensive to patrol/maintain and ridiculously easy to breach if not patrolled heavily. At least to me anyhow :emoji_grimacing:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  5. fisheromen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +19,014
    Boat:
    1986 Glastron
    The guys that do this work day in and day out say that barriers are absolutely necessary. YouTube is loaded with actual Border Patrol personnel saying that very thing. Attempts at breaching will happen, but without walls it will just be a continual flow.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  6. bender0240

Ratings:
    +62
    Thanks I'll check it out.

7. Double Minor

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,302

None of it makes any sense to me. I blame my mom for raising me with nursery rhymes instead of NWA. I blame my grandmother for trying to teach me that two wrongs do not make it right. Why oh why didn't I learn when playing cops and robbers that the robbers were the good guys...

Thankful I could always find a place I could fish.

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  8. VinnyBass

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +10,136
    What we need is lots of beer and a place we can all catch fish and together we can all have a fun day. :)

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
    • List
  9. Double Minor

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,302

Most every school I see has bars and gates surrounding the campus.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  10. bender0240

Ratings:
    +62
    I'm not sure I follow. I'm not debating the usefulness of all walls. Prison walls are also effective but are also heavily guarded. Without the guards the prisoners would make it thru in no time.

I'm talking specifically about a 1500-2500 mile wall along the southern border which is a lot different. It just doesn't seem practical. I'm not for open borders either it just seems like an impractical solution.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  11. Larry M

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +7,973
    Name:
    Larry M
    Dancing in the streets with the Trump haters. LOL

Screenshot_2019-01-26-12-29-09-1.png

12. Chriwilson

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,300
    Actually - it was and still is a lack of prioritzation. I’ll relate this to the wall in a moment...

The emergencies to Trump really were to pass on tax cuts to himself and the PAC heads who got him into office. Second was to remove regulation to allow more business regardless of any permanent and collateral damage.
    Third was the attempt to repeal and replace - we all know what a dumpster fire that continues to be

Back to the wall; Deflate the ego and listen to your heads. Physical barriers make sense in strategic areas in tandem with tech solitions along the border. If he were serious about population safety the govt would target:
    1) high risk areas of traffic without barriers
    2) high risk areas in need of upgrading
    3) boosting tech advances along existing barriers
    4) lower risk areas following 1,2,3 in severity above

My 2 pesos, bring dollar estimates to the table for the above and you’ll get your funding per milestone or you’re bound to come back to the table for more money.

Material cost and overruns are inevitable in construction. At this pace the 5.7b will amount to 125 miles of border barrier finalizing in 10yrs.

By the way, being that the US still imports 30% of our steel, have escalators been factored into funding models to account for the tariffs?

This **** is all practical business economics, I mean for crying out loud Trump is an Ivy Leaguer; get your act together and maybe you’ll get real accomplishments under your belt ...

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  13. Chriwilson

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,300
    Lest you forget:

Ice Cube released Gangsta Fairytales and although two wrongs don’t make a right, three rights make a left...

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  14. Medicated fisherman

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,283
    SCI I knew you would be handing out the red Xs. How about an actual rebutal to my statement. I guess you have none, just your usual red X. The usual unintelligent response from you. I thought about preemptively giving you a red X but thought that seemed kind if pitty. Guess not.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  15. Creek

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +8,558
    I know you're just dying for me to jump in, so allow me to not disappoint.

All I can do is shake my head. I was one of the people screaming for him to not cave in. Giving in would mean his demise. His chances for 2020 just went waaaay down. Dont act on a threat unless you can stick with that threat. Don't draw you're gun unless you can pull the trigger if need be. He drew, but couldn't pull the trigger. Just unzipped his fly and laid all the cards out on the table. Stupid. I'm disappointed. I'm thinking the true President here is Pelosi. She's compared herself to his position before - which was rather arrogant but, now I kind of understand it. She's got his nards.

Dems only see Trump one way.. an orange,spoiled rich man. Thats it. Not sure which part pizzez them off more - the orange, or the rich. Occasional Cortex (strange name, but whatever) seems to think he's too wealthy - wants him and other gazillionaires to pay 70% - maybe even 90% in taxes so that her friends can sit at home and clear more government money for doing nothing. Love the stupidity of this girl.

Trump. Dumb move - even I'll admit that. No idea what got into his head. Just lost alot of his base though, thats for sure. I'll stick with him, but I don't hear a prayer being said for him in two years.

Oh shute ! It's Ocasio-Cortez ! My apologies.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  16. scisports

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +8,469
    When something rational is stated I’ll respond. People have a right to disagree in this country.

There are several on this thread that have done better than I can to refute the wisdom in a needless wall. More immigrants overstay their visas than illegally cross. A thoughtful, purposeful immigration/border security reform I can agree with. The wall for the sake of a wall is just nonsense.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  17. Creek

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +8,558
    I'm Still amazed at how many people thought it was a great idea when 51B ws approved for a border wall/security enhancement during the Chosen One's term, but was never acted upon. It was taxpayer money-funded back then too, but back then it was seen as an okay thing that Dems were behind 100%. What changed? The only thing that changed was the person sitting behind the big desk. That's gotta speak volumes to anyone with common sense I would think.

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • List
  18. scisports

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +8,469
    Nicely stated (don’t get the Cortez joke though lol)

19. Creek

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +8,558
    Anyone ever take a look at the nice security walls and devices found at the homes of the Senators and majority of Congress folks? Nice stuff.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  20. Chriwilson

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,300
    Creek - actually had me rolling with that remark

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List