Trump Says He Heroically Avoided Capture in Vietnam by Staying in U.S.

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by salt water guy, Jul 20, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. salt water guy

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,587
    Boat:
    Montauk
    AMES, IOWA (The Borowitz Report)—Presidential candidate Donald Trump revealed a little-known episode of personal heroism from his youth on Saturday, telling an Iowa audience that he narrowly avoided capture in Vietnam by remaining in the United States for the duration of the war.

“The Cong were after me,” Trump said, visibly stirred by the memory. “And then, just in the nick of time, I got my deferment.”

The former reality-show star said he had never shared his record as a war hero before because “I don’t like to boast.”

He said that he only disclosed the episode now because “the way this nation treats our deferment veterans is a disgrace.”

Trump complained that he received no official commendation or medal for his heroism, calling the lack of recognition “shameful.”

“Those brave Americans who, like me, avoided being captured by not serving at all—we are the true heroes,” he said.

Trump’s tale of valor appeared to move many members of his audience, some of whom waited in line after his speech to thank him for his lack of service.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  2. fisheromen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +19,391
    Boat:
    1986 Glastron
    He might make history; first clown President!!! Was he born in the US????

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  3. bassgalrascal

Staff Member SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,348
    ;)
    11745338_10153531406529916_7674187408849304817_n.jpg

4. Linebig

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +13,170
    Boat:
    Stratos 185XL Pro
    Come on..... No one really thinks he has a rats you know what to really become POTUS.... ? Really? Is he interesting and saying things many fear to even bring up in any circle.... Okay... Abrasive, surely. Becoming POTUS.... Not a chance in you know what. Made for TV. So, what's up with Brady?

5. otay michael

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +5,228
    This must be tough for liberals, as they don't like the military, so someone else not lifting them up is tough to bash!?!

6. bassgalrascal

Staff Member SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,348
    Well, he is leading the polls right now over the other Republican candidates. I'm guessing that the people prefer a loose cannon over the "business as usual" offerings Just sayin'....

7. gordon

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +310
    donald trump is the most entertaining thing to happen in politics ever, voting for him would be a great "protest the system " vote. He is no worse than any of the run of the mill politicians, i hope he wins.

8. old_rookie

Staff Member SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +5,522
    I think those heroism comments will hurt him - at least I am taking a few notches off his potential.
    I do think he has an equal chance as anyone else. For having a lot of business in NY, it seems that a lot of politics, and rubbing elbows with politicians is all part of his fortune - even with past bankruptcies. We had a successful president who's previous job included working with a monkey/chimp. @gordon said it well ...most entertaining thing to happen in politics...