Trying to Learn How to Fish

Discussion in 'Bay fishing' started by SarahL, Nov 10, 2016.

1. SarahL

SarahL Member

Ratings:
    +17
    Hello people of sdfish!

So I'm trying to learn how to fish and am failing miserably. You all have a lot of great advice, I've been reading new things every day, but it is more for people that actually know the basics.

So I have one rod, I don't even know what kind it is. It has one of those brown handles that are good if you drop it so it will float. I did learn how to properly put the line in (failed by not putting it "under the bale" and couldn't reel it in at all and was majorly confused at first.) I learned the Palomar knot. I bought a bunch of hooks that looked alright, I guess, but I don't know anything about this.

I've been to a couple of lakes and San Diego Bay Shelter Island Pier once. I have never caught anything. I had to ask other fisherman on the pier things that were so embarrassing after I learned more. (I was casting and reeling in slowly at a pier.... then found out I need to let it go down 20 feet deep, and you can tell you caught something by seeing the end of the pole move around.)

You guys get the gist. I need help. Is anyone willing to answer a few questions for me so I don't have to go up to other fisherman in real life and feel like a complete idiot?

I just want to catch a fish. Even a sardine or a minnow or anything.

2. Snag

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +869
    Welcome to SDFish @SarahL ...you'll get plenty of help here...bunch of knowledgeable fishing peeps. Ask away!

3. Werfless

Werfless The Coach
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +10,199
    Boat:
    3 too many
    Welcome to our community. ALL OF US started out somewhere. Ask almost anyone on here where we are going fishing and when, and you can gather all the fishing know how you want first-hand. It sounds like how I fish would work for you. I keep it simple, a small piece of shrimp on a small hook. I use a drop shot style rig with a nail from a fire pit or phone pole (cheapest rig possible?), and fish around any rocks, dock pilings or eel grass edges I can find.

4. Cyborgstarfish

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,116
    Boat:
    Ascend FS10 kayak
    So you want to catch a fish. That could be done easily with some patience and some fishy hands. First you need some bait: shrimp, muscle, mackerel, anchovy, ghostshrimp, bloodworms, or smelt. The easiest way to catch something would to drop shot or Carolina rig one of those baits (shrimp or mackerel probably work best) on a #2 or smaller hook and keep it mid water colum. Your bound to catch a mackerel if they are (usually there). If nobody is catching mackerel cast your piece out for something possibly bigger.
    Any more specific questions?
    Do you have a fishing license?

5. Adamt5150

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +940
    Welcome to Sdfish.
    You should sign up for the shore pounders event, I think it's on Nov 27. The sign up thread is at the top of the bay fishing section. If you want to learn what to use and see things first hand I recommend showing up, a wealth of information will be there and everyone would be happy to show you the ropes.

6. Paulito

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,461
    i think that brown thing that floats your rod is actually just cork. and it will not keep your rod afloat with a reel on it, so hold on tight!

7. Werfless

Werfless The Coach
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +10,199
    Boat:
    3 too many
    They do make floating fishing poles.. I was wondering about that.. wasn't sure what to say about it tho. . Lol

8. Paulito

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,461
    had to say it just to be safe lol. trying to get into fishing and being overjoyed about a possible setup only to test it and watch it sink like Jack from titanic is not the best motivation

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  9. Rokbury14

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +879
    Name:
    Steve
    Welcome aboard Sarah... nother good source of information is.... wait for it..... the interweb. YouTube has a gazillion fishing videos from how to's to people with fishing vlogs here in SD. bearz g, fish on crew, Rodney Marquez to name a few...... (Rodney takes time to teach ) Look up things like different knots how to use them. The difference between Texas or a Carolina or a Drop shot...drop loop. I could go on n on. But remember....for every hour on the internet = 2 hrs fishing. lol. Good luck n post up with good:) n the bad:dead:

10. mlzpinoy

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,827
    Welcome to sdfish...

11. Nick Arevalo

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +451
    Boat:
    None
    Welcome to SDFish! My #1 rig for a beginner is a simple Carolina rig with a small strip of squid or mackerel.

12. Urklehaze

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +511
    Trout season might be a good time to start and learn. cuyamaca has free classes on weekends I belive

13. Adamt5150

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +940
    We are all giving her answers and recommendations. She never specified fresh or salt but she said fishing from piers so I'm guessing salt. If you want to just catch a fish then I say talk to werfless

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  14. Werfless

Werfless The Coach
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +10,199
    Boat:
    3 too many
    I can help, but only so much. .. thinking of a vid series done as cheap as possible, with Walmart ans eBay options. . Hard to find someone willing to cooperate tho.. @Cyborgstarfish , got a cam?

15. SarahL

SarahL Member

Ratings:
    +17
    Thank you all for answering! Fishermen are so sweet to each other. I love it! You are all so nice.

So a few things:

1. I do not mind where I catch a fish to learn. Pier, Ocean, Lake, Pond, Toilet Bowl - whatever catches me a fish.
    2. I do not have a fishing license. I'm a college student with exactly 13 cents in my bank account lol :p
    3. I don't have a phone so I can't take pictures, but I wrote down info about the rod my step dad gave me:

"On the rod:
    "Tournament Grade I High Modules IM7 Graphite II."
    Lure: Spirex 2000 FD
    Line cap: 6-170 Shimero"

also: I went to the beach today with my dog and brought my fishing pole and casted it with a shrimp, then dug it in the sand. I took my dog for a 3 minute walk and came back to my fishing pole lying down. I reeled it in and then all of a sudden something snapped, all my line is gone and I don't know how to put more line on. :| Seriously guys, I am Friday the 13th of fishing. If you go with me you will not catch anything. lol

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  16. Escofish

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +387
    If you are serious about learning how to fish I will buy your fishing license. The best place for you without a license is a pier, the only legal option... like stated before small strips of squid from a pier where the waves break is your best bet...

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  17. SarahL

SarahL Member

Ratings:
    +17
    What is a Carolina rig, and where should I go to catch?

18. Adamt5150

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +940
    If you want to learn then then you will. Like others in here have said before. Pick our brains. That's how I learned and I will pass it on

19. Carterantebi

Carterantebi Captain of the Cays
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,160
    Name:
    Carter
    Boat:
    Bayliner+Hobie Revo
    Doesn't take much. You've got rods, awesome advice, exponentially more knowledge compared to what I'd dream of having, youtube's free, most phones have cameras... What else more do you need? Oh yes, TIME. You need time. I'm in full support of this idea, and I think I and many others would definitely love to watch and learn the ways of IV and shrimp;).

20. Escofish

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +387
    Might also have some older spools of different lb line, hooks and lures I'd be willing to let you have.