Tube Jig question....

Discussion in 'Lure Making & Customizing' started by carpkiller, Nov 9, 2019 at 3:11 PM.

1. carpkiller

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,592
    upload_2019-11-9_15-7-56.png
    Hi Campers,
    Has anyone used this Do-It mold for tube jig inserts? And does it pick up less eelgrass?

Let's face it, putting a wire weedguard on a tube jig is kinda pointless, as the grass gets stuck on the nose of the bait, wrapped around the line and eye....in 999 out of 1000 instances. I counted, using a clicker. I'm thinking a ScorcherZ with this head inside could be useful for fishing over and in the eelgrass.

Seems that with the eye of the hook sticking out at an angle, close to the nose of the bait, it will collect fewer pieces of eelgrass.

Of course, the fish-enticing darting action will be lost......

enCKwiring minds want to know...

2. mick

Staff Member SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +225
    You would still have the line to gather eel grass and of course you would loose the 3d fish eye. The angle may help some but loss of action doesn't seem like a good trade. If it works now, why fix it?

3. Vito1023

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +5,105
    What about using a regular sliding weight inside the tube so you can use hooks where the eye comes straight out of the nose of the tube, it seems to me it would pick up less grass and weeds? I take most of my lures to the swimming pool and really check the action.

4. camobass

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,128
    Boat:
    It floats
    Gary yamamoto makes a tube jig internal weight that allows you to rig it weedless with a worm hook. Talking bass size but I imagine you can go smaller. The the only thing that is at the nose is your line coming out of the tube. I fish tubes a lot and this is by far the best and most stealth, weedless presentation I have found