Tube tips thread

Discussion in 'Float Tubing' started by STiCKY, Apr 26, 2014.

1. STiCKY

Staff Member SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,648
    Boat:
    Tube
    Don't beach your tube and leave food in the pockets, squirrels will chew through your tube cover. My dad found out the hard way a few years ago. He was however able to get it repaired at a shoe store. They just sewed in some new zippers and new Velcro straps for rod storage. $.02 Though this happened at Barrett, its possible anywhere in the county and beyond. The cost of repair was really cheap surprisingly.

Also when you beach your tube, I always carry some carabiners and/or parachute cord.
    A leash or at least carabiner latched to a tree, rock etc... will keep your tube from floating away. When the winds are up and waves are hitting the banks from boats going by, the wind and waves can and will take your tube right off the bank.

Should be a good season. Just wanted too share a few tips from past trips.
    I'm also gonna post this in the tube section.

What helps you or makes your trips easier/ more enjoyable?

2. Nute

Nute Researcher...
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,474
    Check your pressure! As the day heats up, the air will expand in your tube. Be sure to keep an eye on it, and dont be afraid to let a little air out from time to time.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  3. barryf

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +156
    Secure your rods. Build a rod holder rack on side of tube if you have not already

4. STiCKY

Staff Member SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,648
    Boat:
    Tube
    x2 on the pressure monitoring. Every couple hours, check and adjust as needed. Also, I have learned the hard way a time or two. Extra lighter and or superglue and probably rod tip glue.

Lighters for lure repair/ smoking, line cutters in a pinch etc... Were outdoors man, there's a million uses.

Super glue for bait repair, rod repair etc... Million uses.

Rod tip glue. I have had tips spin on hook sets and its not fun. It takes 2 mins tops to change or re apply a tip. Don't be left stranded.

Lighters and glue are also space efficient items so they don't add weight or use too much space.

Hemostats in addition to ****s/pliers for saving deep hooks.

5. Nute

Nute Researcher...
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,474
    In addition to the pliers and tools etc. I have my cutters and pliers on a lanyard thats attached to one of my zippers on the pocket.

X2 on the lighter. I always have one or two.

6. STiCKY

Staff Member SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,648
    Boat:
    Tube
    Haha yea me too, I have dropped them in the drink before haha.

7. InRodWeTrust

InRodWeTrust Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +93
    Sharp hooks, sharp knives, unforgiving braided line, not to mention the terrain fishermen are willing to traverse just to get to " that one spot", I'm thinking a small first aid kit wouldn't be the worst thing you could bring with you.

8. gatorfan

gatorfan USN BMC (ret)
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +610
    Most importantly....if you are going to fish the shore or in a boat, CHECK YOUR TUBE before you head out! lol
    I can't tell you how many times I've rented a boat, fished in my buddies' boats, or hit the shore and realized when I got there that my "go-to" gear was back home in my tube!

9. fisheromen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +18,989
    Boat:
    1986 Glastron
    I find that as long as the tube is in contact with the cooler water, the pressure stays fine. But, when I beach it the pressure goes up instantly. I will say it again, I carry a 3' length of 3/4" OD plastic tubing. It fits perfectly in my Boston Valves and allows me to quickly add air, even underway. I also carry a small 5" length of 12 ga. insulated wire to aid in releasing air, when needed. Sometimes you just cannot find a stick!

10. weldon

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,570
    While I have posted this before here is a reminder. When you gotta "go" have a 2" by 8" piece of pvc pipe with end caps one glued and one that you can twist off/on. Slide it down your waders, stick your "equipment" in, lean back and let fly. When finished cap off the top very carefully then slide the pipe up out of your waders and add to the level of the lake with the contents or save for your next sample when you go to the doctor, its up to you. Beats having to fin for shore, scramble out of your tube, find a tree (bush), slide down your waders and then get surprised by a family walking the shore just as your ready to let go.

11. weldon

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,570
    While we are at it I know lots of you tube persons like to make your own rod holders, etc out of pvc pipe but for some of us that are mentally challenged putting things together (we never had legos in my day) at Halls I saw some of this companies stuff and it looked well thought out and put together. Check the website at www.teamfishco.com right here in San Diego from CastMate Systems at 8316 Clairemont Mesa Blvd (92111) Everything from GoPro mounts and electronic holders to rod and net holders.

12. gatorfan

gatorfan USN BMC (ret)
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +610
    They do have some pretty cool stuff on their site but....that stuff is pricey! I can make an entire rod rack for the price of their camera holder. I've said it before, I'll help people make a rack for free (you buy the parts) or I'll make one for you for a little $ on my side.

13. STiCKY

Staff Member SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,648
    Boat:
    Tube
    I am also gonna be rolling at Barrett with Binoculars too find my spots before I wander in the wind. Also a pencil for re spooling and a screwdriver for tightening reel screws etc. Sunflower seeds make days go by faster. Also a beer opener is always in the tube. Bringing a first aid kit just due to remoteness of the area. And most importantly a DISPOSABLE CAMERA!!! Just in case! Gonna try to get this pinned to the top. Keep the tips coming.

14. fisheromen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +18,989
    Boat:
    1986 Glastron
    I don't drink, so I was wondering, what kind of opener does beer require??? Aren't most bottles twist-off?

BTW, a Swiss Army Knife will fulfill a lot of requirements.

15. Rude Baits

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +619
    Oh wow, there could be a ton of tips in this thread but I'll chime in with my personal most important tip, safety first! I always wear my inflatable type V vest and use a type IV throw able as a seat cushion. I also always wear a whistle and use a head lamp at night. My tube has safety orange incorporated in to the back of it as well. I stretch before going out and plan an entry and exit route. I always have water with me. I double check the bladder and seams, etc. As you can see there are a ton of little precautions that can be life savers should the occasion ever arise. Please feel free to add as you like.

16. STiCKY

Staff Member SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,648
    Boat:
    Tube
    Pop top. So any bottle opener or lighter will work. and Rude baits coming out swinging good tips on the pre planning of routes.

17. STiCKY

Staff Member SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,648
    Boat:
    Tube
    Binoculars worked fantastic as planned. I was able to see the structures across the water and make a plan. I highly recommend this on bigger lakes... L. Otay, Hodges, El Cap, Big B...

18. mikecheck1212

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,586
    First of that PVC pipe when nature calls is one of the better ideas I've heard in awhile..much better tan depends..definitely make sure u handle that before you launch.

One thing I've found useful is a dry bag...It saves room for my main pockets...I put the lures in plastics I use most in my tubes pockets and put the stuff I hardly use in the dry bag just in case..what usually happens is when I leave stuff behind that's the day I needed it...the dry bag eliminates that problem...also great for extra clothing..if you're like me you get out early and it's cold...when it warms up u can throw your hoodie in your bag and it doesn't get wet...I have an odc420 and the bag fits perfectly in the back..I do use a caribiner and clip it to one of my d rings so it doesn't float away.

A net is nice to have..I've lost some big fish Tryna lip em from the tube and they pop off..the one I have floats.

Ziplock bags are a must too..cheep easy way to keep your phone and stuff dry.

For repairs I took someone's advice from this site and tried aqua seal..best thing I know of..I've tried patches and those may work on open areas but are no good for seams..I've used it on a four inch tear on my seam and it works like new..only negative is it takes 10 hours or so to cure..it's made for waders and works great for those too..

Electric pumps are cool...time saver..

And as an added bonus when I'm tubbing ponds with no boat access, only shore fishing I always check the tulles where near the shore spots for freebies..I haven't had to buy a crank bait in a long time..recently on one trip I found 3 lures who's msrp was around 45 new..only caught one fish that day but I found 45 bucks in the tulles so I wasn't mad.

19. STiCKY

Staff Member SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,648
    Boat:
    Tube
    X2 on the Plastic baggies for phones/wallets.

I always keep my keys tucked way in the tube pockets or a baggy or clipped to my waders on the d-ring with a carabiner.

The dry bag idea is great! I fit a little igloo cooler behind my Cumberland seat and could probably almost fit that as well on the same trips.

I'm always on the look out for cranks, spinners and swimbaits and what not in the tullies. Never hit the $45 dollar come up but at least $15-20 once or twice.

20. mikecheck1212

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,586
    I made the mistake and got a lower quality drybag from bass pro..just cause it was bigger and i could fir gear,clothes,food and still have room in it..but its a thin material that punctures pretty easily..nothing worse than tubing and needing to warm up as it coils down and going for your hoodie and its wet..the patches work great for that tho...i know west marine on rosecrans had some better quality dry bags for a bit more money..but definitely worth it