Tube tips thread

Discussion in 'Float Tubing' started by STiCKY, Apr 26, 2014.

1. carpkiller

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,771
    So it turns out those oyster shells on the rocks have sharp edges. 180630 Heel. don't walk on oysters.jpg sliced through the callous on my heel...wearing the open heel churchill fins. Next trip, an oyster sliced the nylon fabric of my tube! The bladder was okay...but a little blister of the vinyl was poking out through the 3/4 inch cut in the nylon...begging to be abraded or punctured.
    I will patch and stitch it. Eventually.
    For now I made a boot by cutting a circle out of a flexible plastic lid from a tub of sour cream.
    Deflated the bladder enough to reach thru the zipper and slide the boot between the nylon and the bladder.
    Pumped it back up. The air pressure holds the boot in place. The vinyl' s not bulging out through the slit in the fabric. And even if a stick pokes into the cut...the plastic will keep it from poking a hole in the bladder.
    Oh yeah. I carry a bit of rope on the tube and carabiners too. At one brushy launch spot we left the rope tied to a tree....helped us scramble up the muddy bank. Trying to hold the tube in place on a jetty while you take off your fins? Tie a carabiner on the end and toss the rope up into the rocks...and pull til the 'biner jams in the rocks.
    Check the dollar stores for carabiners. Two or three for a dollar instead of a buck each.

#21 carpkiller, Jul 23, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2018
  2. Aby N

Aby N Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +135
    Instead of starting a new thread, figured I would ask questions here, especially since me & my son are new to tubing & will be heading out soon to barrett.

I have read thru this thread, but feel there is something or 10 that i'm easily overlooking...

How are you guys keeping sandwiches & stuff cool during the hot days?

Do you keep dry clothes & such in the car, after a day of fishing?

How are you staying hydrated? a big *** water bottle for example or are you floating a small cooler?

I get that pliers/hemostats on lanyards, floaties for eyewear?

good idea/source for fin lanyards?

Do you keep a cooler for end of day celebrations?

Thanks

#22 Aby N, Jul 9, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2020
  3. BassSeeker

BassSeeker Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +83
    Name:
    Eli
    Boat:
    Tube
    You may have figured out these questions on your own by now but I recently got back into fishing about a year ago and picked up a tube last year. For me I was able to fit a smallish cooler behind my seat and kept sandwiches in there and water and Gatorade.
    mom goign to Barrett Sunday. I think I’m going to bring a huge bottle of Gatorade and water and toss it behind my seat and just use that and have some sandwhiches in my pocket. For the water I am planning on filling up a gallon bottle about halfway and freezing then in the morning topping it off with cold water and hoping it will slowly unfreeze through out the day. Also for food, beef jerky doesn’t take up a lot of room.

As for fun lanyards I’m not using any but I probably should since I have a pair I use when body surfing but you could probably pick up a pair from any surf shop. Mine are made by dakine.

4. BassSeeker

BassSeeker Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +83
    Name:
    Eli
    Boat:
    Tube
    Just finished up a rod rack for my fat cat 4 deluxe. I built it to hold 5 rods vertically and have an open slot to place a rod when trolling or just to hold while. Technically it can hold 6 rods. I’ll post a final picture of it mounted up after the cement glue is completely cured but here’s an idea of what it looks like. I would be happy to build these for you guys with a small fee if this ends up working nicely. I’ll be testing it Saturday at the B. It will use thick wire ties to hold it to the D rings and then a bungee chord around the bottom to the D rings on the underside or atleast that’s the plan.

4B028409-1046-4D82-B0C4-ACCEA9CEB523.jpeg

5. Dry Fly Rie

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,541
    Looks great. Well done.