Tuesday April 14, 09 at Sunset Beach

Discussion in 'Surf, Piers, & Jetties' started by FISHTZR, Apr 15, 2009.

1. FISHTZR

FISHTZR Active Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I made a vist to my sisters in Orange County Tuesday. Her family along with myself made plans to fish Sunset Beach at high tide. We arrived at noon with the kids in tow, and the poles in hand, high tide was at 2:30.
    The water was clean for the most part, but when the current kicked in the grass and kelp was pushed up on shore and thick. The current was so strong at times you could only keep your bait in the water for a minute before it washed up on the sand this was fine because the fish were only in 12" of water. We had or trout rods loaded with six pound test rigged up with 6 pound floro leader and a 3/4oz slider. The bait of choice was freash blood worms, and also the GULP blood worms. We ran out of the freash bait, but the GULP worked as good, if not better at times. We caught 3 to 4 fish per GULP 2" piece, to 1 piece of freash bait plus the current tore up the freash stuff. We caught around 15 Surf Perch, and one 2' Thasher in 2.5 hours of fishing. I caught my best Surf Perch ever at 13". I had a tape, but no scale. My sister caught a fish that I have not seen caught in the surf before. It was the same shape as a Surf Perch, but had none of the markings. The fish was all silver, with no other markings on it at all. This fish was about 9" long with the same fin placement of a Perch. The mouth was larger, but shaped the same as a Perch. I was unable to get a photo because I was hit by the surf, and took a short swim while loosing the fish. I guess I need to be more aware of my suroundings.
    Over all, the fishing trip was a hit with the kids, and a great way for me to get ready for the upcomming summer.

FISHTZR

2. SDbassin1904

SDbassin1904 Active Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Nice report. The mystery fish was probably a walleye perch wich is very common in sd. What did you mean by thasher?

3. FISHTZR

FISHTZR Active Member

Ratings:
    +0
    The Thrasher was a newborn shark. The tail was 1/3 of the body length. I was surprised when I caught it. I have caught Sand Shark, Ray, and Lepord Shark before on the beach so this was unique.

FISHTZR

4. ol dirty basser

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +40
  5. Rush Hour 2

Rush Hour 2 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +18
    Boat:
    2004 bayliner 195
    Cool beans!